tactile screens

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
ok.

we got inkwell technology. rumours of an upcoming pda. a pc maker doing it's best on the software side, great tft screens (where's the mac?) and selling portables on the hardware side. mix it with the iPod market and the wish of an iVideo or similar device. also: what's desirable its to go to the digital hub... and maybe the home entertainment center.

so...

what about including tacticle tft screen technology, similar to wacom cintiq tablet, and make a step ahead of the next tablet pcs.

it can be an option for the iMac, including a pen to control it with the screen.

or an option to a next generation iPod, similar to a pda, but with a bigger screen similar to the psp.

or my favourite: a tablet, or notebook, or call it whatever you want, with 10 inch, similar to the portable dvd's, running tiger, a dvd drive, and wireless connectivity to control devices remotely, or just networking, with usb and firewire ports, ... and just the tft, no keyboard, with an included pen, and a case like those on the sony clie, to protect the screen. A mix between Power-iMac-Mini-Pod-Book.

Why not? I think it's not so difficult (or what is the same, so expensive).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sherpa_74

ok.

we got inkwell technology. rumours of an upcoming pda. a pc maker doing it's best on the software side, great tft screens (where's the mac?) and selling portables on the hardware side. mix it with the iPod market and the wish of an iVideo or similar device. also: what's desirable its to go to the digital hub... and maybe the home entertainment center.

so...

what about including tacticle tft screen technology, similar to wacom cintiq tablet, and make a step ahead of the next tablet pcs.

it can be an option for the iMac, including a pen to control it with the screen.

or an option to a next generation iPod, similar to a pda, but with a bigger screen similar to the psp.

or my favourite: a tablet, or notebook, or call it whatever you want, with 10 inch, similar to the portable dvd's, running tiger, a dvd drive, and wireless connectivity to control devices remotely, or just networking, with usb and firewire ports, ... and just the tft, no keyboard, with an included pen, and a case like those on the sony clie, to protect the screen. A mix between Power-iMac-Mini-Pod-Book.

Why not? I think it's not so difficult (or what is the same, so expensive).

Why? What market is this targeted at? That is the whole reason Apple hasn't entered the niche market of tablets. No buyers. Well, no buyers who aren't in it for the bleeding-but-still-useless-edge.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Allegedly, according to The Register, Palm is going to release a new ("new") PDA:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05...one_lifedrive/

Allegedly it's called the LifeDrive Mobile Manager. Allegedly it will have a Tungsten T5 sized screen and will allegedly carry all of your Digital Data.

The Register alledges this; I, however, do not.

If it does come out, then hopefully it will drive the T5 price down somewhat.

Allegedly and V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    The LifeDrive is basically a T5 with a hard drive added, so you can carry all your photos and music with you. For a certain class of users it will be much better than an iPod, because you will be able to edit data on it while mobile. It's mainly considered an answer to those who say the current PDAs are not good music players because their storage is so limited.

With DocumentsToGo, PDAs have finally reached the stage where users can do some pretty effective editing and writing while mobile.

The class of users to whom the LifeDrive will appeal will be PDA users who already carry (or want) both a PDA and an iPod. The vast majority of iPod users seem perfectly happy with being in the paper age while mobile.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I've said this before, it makes total sense for Apple to start making ALL their systems with touch sensitive screens and convert their portables all to tablets (convertibles that is).

Here's the reasons:

1. Touching and writing on your screen is intuitive (my 2 year old does it).

2. Apple can evangelize a technology because they make all the hardware. Microsoft can only make suggestions.

3. Programming in tablet features will only appeal to developers if they can expect it to be available to most users.

4. Newton is still light years ahead of the competition with respect to pen input.

5. A real computer solution for those in education (students and teachers) requires pen input.

Finally, how much more would it cost, really? I doubt it would cost more than $50 for the touch sensitive stuff and a few bucks for the pivoting fold-down screen on the laptops.

Yeah sure, maybe most people don't think they need it, but most people don't need SUVs. It wouldn't take much marketing to convince people it's a must have.

Commercials:

Someone faxes some contracts to two people and the one with a mac just signs the doc on the screen while the other prints it off and scans it back in after signing it.

A PC parent tries to show his 2 year old how to navigate a mouse in a painting program, while the mac parent watches his kid finger-painting on the screen. 18 years later the PC kid is shooting people from a clocktower.

• Reply 5 of 14
    sherpa_74sherpa_74 Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I've said this before, it makes total sense for Apple to start making ALL their systems with touch sensitive screens and convert their portables all to tablets (convertibles that is).

Thanks Nordstodamus. That's exactly what i meant. It's not a new product. It's a change involving all future product line, creating possibily a new market. Like iPod did.

I'm not talking of just introduce a new technology. But a new way to interact with our computer, not with a mouse, not with a keyboard. It's the possibility to discover new possibilities of using the computer, allowing to improve the experience, that is, what apple offers from the begining of the mac.

With the low prices of tactile screens (think, it's just a sensitive layer over it), why not adding to the iPod to make a real PDA. Or adding to an iPhone to become somewhat of a treo thing. Or adding to the iMac, to use it as an interactive tv. Or adding to the apple displays, aiding the presentations, like a board. Or adding to a powerbook, to cotrol remotely (or locally) a domotic house, or taking notes at school.

The applecollection has great designs like these ones:

http://www.theapplecollection.com/de...ign/iCard.html

http://www.theapplecollection.com/de...leTablet3.html

http://www.theapplecollection.com/de...iGoColour.html

http://www.theapplecollection.com/de...rfulb_r06.html

It could be a trojan to get more market share. Maybe a revolution in the pc world, because who wants an antinatural system like the mouse is, when you can use your own hands. Use your fingers. Or a pen. You use in the bank. when you want cash. You use when u control a videocam from the tft. Some restaurants use it to take note. Why not the student, the gamer, the home user, or the professional.

For instance. I use to mix with the great denon emulator dj1800. Look at the controls. It imitates the jogs, buttons and controls whe find in a real cd mixer. And i'm looking for a real hardware interface to control it. Why not use the screen. It's cheaper(and simplier) than adding a new device. The same with other software on music production, video production, or photo editing.

Also, a note. Look at the Nintendo DS. I think it's a great idea to include the tactile screen. But it leaks of the possibilities of a great operating system to help make things easier, not just a gaming concept.

It's not a product to be sold separately of the next os (lion?, cat?, felix?), and it should take this in consideration.

Thanks to all 4 reading till this, and sorry 4 my poor english.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cougarcougar Posts: 55member
    Forgive me for posting a macosrumors link.

This seems more than the usual wish lists Mac OS Rumors posts. Anyone know of a website you can check newly issued patents? Im suprised Macosrumors didn't post a link.

IF true, and IF apple comes out with a tablet this summer, I may consider getting one with a G5 for college instead of an aging G4 powerbook...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Why? What market is this targeted at? That is the whole reason Apple hasn't entered the niche market of tablets. No buyers. Well, no buyers who aren't in it for the bleeding-but-still-useless-edge.

Quote:

Originally posted by Cougar

IF true, and IF apple comes out with a tablet this summer, I may consider getting one with a G5 for college instead of an aging G4 powerbook...

That is the market, Rhumgod.

Cougar, IF true this summer, i expect a G4, although i prefer a 10'-12' tablet than a powerbook too.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    More ideas.

Following the thread of MacMini platform, with the small, portable, and segment concept, a tablet has to be used (in a similar form than the target mode in pb), as a primary or secondary monitor. Or just, as an input device like a graphic tablet.

I think these different uses are the best reasons to add the touch screen.

More chances? What's the way you would use it?

• Reply 9 of 14
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

That is the market, Rhumgod.

While I see that education could benefit from a "good" tablet, one does not exist. Apple does come up with ways to make technology work (witness iPod). It is just from the crap that currently exists, the market is very, very small.

Education hasn't bought them up til now, why would they in the future? I think the perception is they are too fragile. ???
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cougarcougar Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Cougar, IF true this summer, i expect a G4, although i prefer a 10'-12' tablet than a powerbook too. [/B]

Yeah, what I meant was that I'd get a Powermac G5 with a ~$599 tablet instead of a $2300 G4 Powerbook.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Holy crap, I've been away too long. Just a little time off and the tablet myths start flying again.

It may be intuitive, but it isn't practical.

Only two form factors woudl be practical, neither of them involves a convertable notebook.

1.) something small enough to pocketable (at the very least in lab/over coat or purse) NO bigger than A5 paper. Have you ever held something the size of a text book with one hand and tried to write on it with the other? NO, there's a reason why people don't do this.

2.) Something like an easle stand monitor/tablet, like a cintiq. NOT a portable device, but if Apple could bring this to an eMac (yes, an eMac, not an iMac) that would be a coup. Such an emac would have to be an LCD based design built around a smaller 15" LCD in a three leg (old ACD) type form factor. It would squat right down for kids/artists to write or draw on, or stand up for them to view and control more traditionally (and efficiently -- when it comes to most computing tasks the keyboard still rules)

Convertabooks, worst of both worlds, won't happen.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Holy crap, I've been away too long. Just a little time off and the tablet myths start flying again.

It may be intuitive, but it isn't practical.

Only two form factors woudl be practical, neither of them involves a convertable notebook.

1.) something small enough to pocketable (at the very least in lab/over coat or purse) NO bigger than A5 paper. Have you ever held something the size of a text book with one hand and tried to write on it with the other? NO, there's a reason why people don't do this.

2.) Something like an easle stand monitor/tablet, like a cintiq. NOT a portable device, but if Apple could bring this to an eMac (yes, an eMac, not an iMac) that would be a coup. Such an emac would have to be an LCD based design built around a smaller 15" LCD in a three leg (old ACD) type form factor. It would squat right down for kids/artists to write or draw on, or stand up for them to view and control more traditionally (and efficiently -- when it comes to most computing tasks the keyboard still rules)

Convertabooks, worst of both worlds, won't happen.

First of all. Tablet mites? Which mites

Sensitive screens are practical if you can use it in a way it solves you a problem. In fact, any tool that does that is practical. May be it's not the definitive solution, but it complements others.

Depending on the size you can get a pda, a big tft for a computer, or something in the middle range, that's 10" or something bigger than an A5. It would be lightweigth and at the same time you can write on it confortably, see movies, have a desktop, and so. Call it what you prefer, tablet, console, etc, but i think that is the most versatile size. But it's my opinion.

I think that we can distinguish between 3 sizes devices:

a) Those that fit on your pocket: mobile phones, mp3 players, pda's, pocket and pen drives, cameras and portable game consoles. There will be a convergence with all they with something similar in form that it's between an iPod, a PSP or a Palm TS. And they need a touch screen.

b) Portable or secondary devices like a dvd-divx player, a 12" PB, and of course, a tablet. They can use touch sensitive screens. In a tablet is a need. In other cases, an option.

c) Desktop or fixed systems. Tower computers with big displays. SPT, big notebooks like 17" PB, home centers (we want the iMac to be one?) and graphic tablets like you say. All can use the technology.

You can choose your buy depending on your needs. You can criticize something you are not gonna use, but what you should do is simple. Don't buy it. Some people may be interested in such a product. And maybe with a non existing market. Just if the product is well done and can be helpfull.

The iPod phenomenon? Remember... Yesterday? -Oh, look. Apple, a pc maker has thrown an Mp3 player Today situation seems to be... -Oh, look Apple, an Mp3 player maker also sells computers. That's how the market evolves.

And we can expect surprises from Palo Alto. They generate and fill new markets. With the iMac. With the iPod. With the X-Serve With the eMac. With the software, the macMini....

I don't need a mac mini. I'm an experienced mac user and i prefer my Power Mac, with my pc-tft. I supose that i have my own needs. And i act in consequence. Although the mac mini is selling well.

A fixed tft with a leg, or two, .... or a cintiqstyle tripod. In essence, that's the iMac. Not an e-mac.

With the options in the market now, i supose i need a PB. But the fact is that i feel like mounting a camping tent when i open the case. I need something to take notes at class, fast and like a paper notebook to put over the desk. and if a go by car, or train and want to see a movie, i can. and if i wanna be in the sofa, changing tv channels clicking with my finger over an iCal program schedule, i want to be it possible.

i thing that yes ... it's possibly a niche market. but... is not Apple a niche market in the world of pcs?

for sure it's one of the most innovatives and leading companies. so surprise us and let us dream in the world we want.

that is not a myth.

and i'm not talking of convertabooks.

• Reply 13 of 14
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Wash your hands before picking up that tablet! Otherwise the screen gets dirty, then the touch-sensitive film is damaged while trying to clean it, then the tablet doesn't work like new, then the owner never buys another tablet.

My hands are clean...are yours?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Wash your hands before picking up that tablet! Otherwise the screen gets dirty, then the touch-sensitive film is damaged while trying to clean it, then the tablet doesn't work like new, then the owner never buys another tablet.

My hands are clean...are yours?

mine are clean too. but i mentioned as an alternative. it needs an integrated pen as all pdas.

... and you can always clean the display when u need, anyway

8)