iphoto library issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Apple makes it sound like it's very easy to transfer the iphto library over to another drive but I am having a heck of a time doing it. I cant find what they are asking for in order to transfer it. I tried to move it over to another drive, and had no problem doing that but to get iphoto to recognise it or use it as the default I cant do that.

let me know

DD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Not sure what your problem is. The location of your photos is

user/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Then either date or album. I move photos around all the time between different computer and hard drives with no problems except for the first time. During that one I dragged my entire iPhoto library over to a computer after doing a clean install. iPhoto took all the pictures and the thumb nails also. So I had two of all the pictures with the second picture being 160 x 240. Haven't made that error again.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I am also not sure what you are doing. You can copy the iPhoto Library anyplace you like. Just move the folder called "iPhoto Library" that is in the Pictures folder in your home folder. Then hold down the option key when you start up iPhoto. iPhoto will put up a dialog box asking if you want to choose a library or create a new one. If you choose a library you get a standard open dialog box. Find the "iPhoto Library" folder and when it is highlighted click "Open".
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    thats it the option key thanks. I didnt see it indicating to do taht anywhere. Obviously, when I took the iphoto library over I had all my photos on the drive I wanted but had no way of telling iphoto where to retrive/dump them at anymore.

Tried your suggestion worked perfectly...

thanks again

DD