The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

Comments

• Reply 81 of 294
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    An iPod SDK would certainly get the developers excited. Launching this along with iTunes 5 and some other HD kit would be huge!
  • Reply 82 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

As for me, I don't think it will ever happen.

Ever....? seems to harsh! As technology gets cheaper and better such statemant doesn't make much sense to me. It might take few years to see such monitor but say never happen....
  • Reply 83 of 294
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Why is 40" even needed? Who needs this? As it is it takes a 500 dollar graphics card to support the 30" display, (they are getting cheaper the 9650 does support it)... but it does take a special card to support such a high resolution.

The cost as it is for a 30" is pretty much for braggers and professionals. I suppose in 3 or so years the lcds will have dropped in price tremendously... over the last year I watched the dell 2001fp drop from 1k+ to 450

If this price trend follows the larger monitors, then I will agree it will eventually happen. I don't understand why apple would wnat to enter this market financially though. This 40"+ market is already saturated with plenty of companies that have been in the business much longer than apple. Viewsonic, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, JVC, Phillips / Magnavox... apple would have some serious competition. This is why I say never.

Yes the dell is 12ms response time... Vs 16ms response time. There is a difference... though it wouldn't be noticed unless you were panning the whole screen.

You keep calling it a monitor... it wouldn't be just a monitor. It would be an LCD HDTV... not to be confused with an HD LCD. This is a market that has already been penetrated.
  • Reply 84 of 294
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Why is 40" even needed? <snip> You keep calling it a monitor... it wouldn't be just a monitor. It would be an LCD HDTV... not to be confused with an HD LCD. This is a market that has already been penetrated.

Not to add fuel to this lengthy discussion but wouldn't this hypothetical Apple 40" display be much more than a HDTV? Wouldn't we be talking about 100 or more pixels per inch, much higher resolution than HDTVs? Otherwise, it would be pretty useless as a computer monitor.
  • Reply 85 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Dear Emig647,

This discussion is getting long and I am getting tired.

Maybe you might not want or need a 40" monitor.

I am a broadcast designer. I would love to have such a monitor to work and also to preview the projects I am working on it. In the spare hours why not watch a HD DVD that will be coming soon.

I

f 3 years ago someone said that we would be working on a 30" monitor, people would think impossible. It's a reality today. That's why I disagree with your quote of "ever/never".

Maybe for most folks it's too much. Some people don't like dual monitors. Graphic designers, 3D animators, editors, etc. would benefit enormously of such monitor. So why not? Many people would benefit of this monitor. I hope Apple will make one eventually. And I think they will make it good if they target the same monitor to the home entertainment crowd that are paying big money to the current flat panel displays.

In the end it's all about choices.

I can work fine on a 20" monitor, but If there is something bigger and I can afford it. I'll buy it. so bring it on!
  • Reply 86 of 294
    (that's why I quit replying)

I would like to point out that I do work on dual monitors on dual graphics cards. When I had my 2.0 g5 I had a ati 9200 in the pci slot and a 9600xt in the agp slot. Both running 20" Viewsonics. I enjoyed it. It was cheap. The bar in between was barely visible. But, I did have this set up cheaper than 1 23" apple monitor. As people are talking about in another thread... some apple setups (IE powermac) are niche in a niche... powermac being a niche and macs being a niche. This makes for a VERY small market. If apple sees a market for a 40" to make a good profit, then by all means produce one. I however don't see a 40" market. I think a 30" running 2560 resolution would be plenty. For the stuff I do the dual 20" was fine, I'd have all my toolbars on one screen (or multiple browsers) and all my editing stuff on the other monitor... IE Cinema, XCode, BBEdit, Photoshop. I am not in video, so if there is a high demand for these 40" monitors release them. I have to seriously step in and say I don't see it. Not saying it wouldn't be cool though.
  • Reply 87 of 294
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Apple has a recent history of releasing a lot of updates in the weeks leading up to WWDC, to build buzz. Some of those updates have been significant, to the point where I remember people here wondering what on Earth Steve would talk about in his keynote.

That would be a good time to announce bumped iBooks, and similar small-but-significant updates.

Apple has a lot of ground to cover with developers. 10.4.1, or even 10.4.2, should be out by the time WWDC starts. That gives developers a stable base to work on, and it allows Apple to concentrate on big-picture issues like resolution independence, filesystem metadata, changing and optimizing (and threading) code for the more fine-grained kernel (especially, the more fine-grained I/O subsystem and networking stack, but also multiprocessing). They can also discuss optimization in depth. Perhaps they can give some hints about where they're headed. Tiger brought us stable, public APIs for everything (yay!) but there are a number of things that seem bolted-on, or unfinished, or unexploited (c.f. John Siracusa's in-depth discussion of Spotlight in his review on Ars), that might or might not mature into fundamental and pervasive components of the OS.

Since it's very likely that Apple will move to systems with more than two logical CPUs in the near future, they can also talk about that. Under NDA, of course.
  • Reply 88 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Since it's very likely that Apple will move to systems with more than two logical CPUs in the near future, they can also talk about that. Under NDA, of course.

How could they possibly do that with 2500 developers? It would be impossible to know a leak? Or would it be a special session? I suppose they could have selected people hit the sessions, but last year you could go to any session you wanted to as far as I knew, but I was just a regular WWDC attendee, maybe adobe and other special companies get special acesses with NDAs? If so I'm jealous
  • Reply 89 of 294
    Quote:

How could they possibly do that with 2500 developers? It would be impossible to know a leak? Or would it be a special session? I suppose they could have selected people hit the sessions, but last year you could go to any session you wanted to as far as I knew, but I was just a regular WWDC attendee, maybe adobe and other special companies get special acesses with NDAs? If so I'm jealous

In fact, there are "behind the scenes" conferences at every major convention. If that makes you jealous, use that emotion to fuel the next Photoshop, then shell out for the Apple Premiere development contract, and then maybe you'll get in on the juicy stuff. But then, of course, relatively senior Apple folk will probably know you by name, and they will appreciate leaks even less.

If you look at the terms you agreed to as an Apple developer, and check in a few other places, you'll see that, in fact, anything Apple discusses at a WWDC conference that they have not announced in public is in fact under NDA, and that NDA is enforced.

There are alway leaks, of course, but most developers seem to be OK with keeping quiet. Since they all want Apple to give them as much information as possible with as little hassle as possible, there's also a certain amount of peer pressure to keep quiet, so that Apple doesn't get pissed off and become (more) coy and secretive with them.
  • Reply 90 of 294
    The more I thought about it, the more I agree that there are behind the scenes sessions at WWDC. I suppose that was the reason they scanned everyone's pass before you entered at each session... bastards... Next time I'll have to kick an Apple devs ass outside of moscone center and steal his pass .

If being an apple premiere member is all it takes, it could be worth it... either way... we should bug every room
  • Reply 91 of 294
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    I think the iPod SDK is a viable thought for third party games and apps. More "Made for iPod" logo revenue.

Also what are the chances that Apple will finally license Fairplay? The iPod is in a very dominating position and Apple can garner more revenue by licensing Fairplay.

Wait a sec! with iTunes 4.8s capability to sell music videos, a new generation of iPod with video capability!
  • Reply 92 of 294
    iPod SDK would definitely make WWDC worth the trip.
  • Reply 93 of 294
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Not that it means anyting, I just visited the US Apple store and every computer, including laptops, is listing 1-2 days shipping.

Across the board updates next Tuesday. Powerbook G5's, Dual dual core G5 towers, MPC7448 iBooks and eMacs, 2.5Ghz G5 iMacs w/ 23" screens.
  • Reply 94 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Jobs announces new Powerbook:

1.8 GHz G4

17" 1440 x 900

Superdrive, 8x, dual layer.

ATI Mobility Radeon 9750

100 GB 5400 rpm HD

For Powerbooks, Jobs promises "2 GHz in one year!"

iBooks also get bumped:

1.42 GHz G4, 166 MHz FSB

14.1"

ATI Mobility Radeon 9250 64 MB

60 GB 4200 rpm HD

Superdrive, 8x

wait what??!! Did he already do it or just a guess? That would be a NICE ibook i would buy it so damn fast...
  • Reply 95 of 294
    Quote:

If being an apple premiere member is all it takes, it could be worth it... either way... we should bug every room

It probably isn't enough. Being a Premier member and a major developer, or being a huge customer, or being a major journalist or analyst, is enough.

If I shelled out $3k/year for the Premier membership, I doubt I'd get more than exactly what Apple promises, simply because I'm one guy in Iowa. But Andy Inahtko would still get invited to look at prerelease products, because he's Andy Inahtko.
  • Reply 96 of 294
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    What if WWDC saw a monumental, unprecedented rollout of new Powermacs, Powerbooks, and ibooks?

Do you think it is possible?

Will it happen? probably not.

But Apple has done unprecedented things before. They fiddle with sticking to Tuesdays for hardware releases, they have updated powerbooks and powermacs almost right after updating them already. And, well, Tiger is out and the competition is at dual core.

What if Apple release New Powermacs with quad-core, new dual core Powerbooks, and new single-core G5 iBooks all at once? The iMac is already single-core G5, so it may not need an update.

I'd say the consumer level goes to single G5 across the board, while Pro series goes to multi-core G5-quad for the PowerMac and dual for the PowerBook. And the Mini can bump up to 1.67 ghz G4 to keep prices low and Freescale in business.

Apple is giving a lot of build up to the Jobs keynote for this event (even cannibalizing iMac marketing space on the front page of the web site) and as it is for developers, since Tiger will be there, it sounds ripe for a huge hardware announcement-like G5 and multi-core for the developers to jump on.

With all the rumors floating around about Apple having already contracted Asus to develop G5 iBooks and PowerBooks, it is just getting really interesting.

Granted, this thread is about as far-fetched as can be, but there has got to be a really huge announcement at WWDC this year.
  • Reply 97 of 294
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    iBooks will not get a G5 before the PowerBook does, and we are some way off that...
  • Reply 98 of 294
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Granted, this thread is about as far-fetched as can be, but there has got to be a really huge announcement at WWDC this year.

WWDC has never seen a huge announcement. But it's fun to dream
  • Reply 99 of 294
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Can we join this thread with the other thread?

(edit: The PM G5 was a kinda big announcement at a WWDC)
  • Reply 100 of 294
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Can we join this thread with the other thread?

(edit: The PM G5 was a kinda big announcement at a WWDC)

True..I was thinking more along the lines of usually we see nor more than a couple products announced.