LCD iMac - new built-in hardware features?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think an iMac with 15" LCD is cool and all, but I wonder if Apple will take the opportunity to add some 'digital hub' features to the new iMacs.

Two features came to mind:

1) a built-in net-cam (internet camera)

1a) the net-cam will need an iApp to make video conferencing cool & easy

2) a built-in CompactFlash I/II slot to facilitate the use of digital cameras

Lastly, on the software side, I think MPEG4 will be a huge part of Apple's plans for 2002.

Just wondering.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]I think an iMac with 15" LCD is cool and all, but I wonder if Apple will take the opportunity to add some 'digital hub' features to the new iMacs.<hr></blockquote> [quote]1) a built-in net-cam (internet camera)<hr></blockquote>

as the "hub" its not Apple's job to provide the device with the machine. a built-in netcam would be a waste. although they should offer one at the apple store as one of the optional peripherals before you confirm your purchase

[quote]

2) a built-in CompactFlash I/II slot to facilitate the use of digital cameras<hr></blockquote>

unneccesary added cost when USB and firewire do the same thing nearly as fast

[quote]

Lastly, on the software side, I think MPEG4 will be a huge part of Apple's plans for 2002.<hr></blockquote>

well, duh
  • Reply 2 of 7
    HDTV-ready!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>HDTV-ready!</strong><hr></blockquote>

In that case it would be nice for it to be 16x9, whcih would be cool but somehow I doubt they would do it (of course who thought we would get a wide notebook, but itis still not true 16x9).

As far as the built in Cam, I think it is

A. Impractical

b. Would be hard to design built-in and still have the computer look good. Of course the guys over at APple seem to be able to make anything pretty, so who knows. THat is why Jonathan Ives works there and I do not.

• Reply 4 of 7
    roffroff Posts: 58member
    Think about this alteration to the iBook to make the new iMac.

1. Remove the battery and charging circuit and add a power brick for AC wall power.

2. Remove the track pad and button and add a mouse.

3. Change the screen to a 15 inch TFT.

4. Upgrade the CPU and bus to a certain price point.

5. Add whatever complies with Apples vision of future computing. Sorta like CD burning and/or DVD was a few years ago.

Comments???
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tcotco Posts: 87member
    built in camera == great idea, and more likely than not.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    built-in camera = very unlikely. I don't like the idea of having something such a vulnerable fixture on my computer built-in.

One thing I hate about the current Power Macs is the exposed speaker cone. I've seen kids and adults alike press against the cone because they thought it was a button.

CompactFlash slot? Why CF? What about PCMCIA, SD, MMC, SM, MemoryStick and others? Leave these things to USB and FireWire. That's one less step to take, IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote] posted 12-23-2001 01:18 PM Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think an iMac with 15" LCD is cool and all, but I wonder if Apple will take the opportunity to add some 'digital hub' features to the new iMacs.

Two features came to mind:

1) a built-in net-cam (internet camera)<hr></blockquote>

No, this isn't a good standard feature. Not enough people use these for it to be standard. I'd rather not pay for something I won't use.

[quote]1a) the net-cam will need an iApp to make video conferencing cool & easy<hr></blockquote>

True. I think an iApp for this sort of thing is more likely than a standard cam. More iApps are always a good thing! And I think this would be a very good iApp--it would help Apple out in the business world.

[quote]2) a built-in CompactFlash I/II slot to facilitate the use of digital cameras <hr></blockquote>

No, this is also a bad idea. Most cameras already come with a flash reader that plugs into USB or Firewire.

What Apple needs is to update the iPod so that one can dump photos from a digital camera onto the iPod's drive. This feature alone would sell many, many iPods.

Then, Apple could make an iPhoto app that fires up when an iPod full of photos is plugged in. iPhoto wouldn't compete with Photoshop, it would merely be an iTunes of digial photos, with features for cataloging, organizing, slideshows, and very rudimentary editing. Give it about the amount of editing features that Photoshop LE has, and then have the app direct people to photoshop for more advanced editing. This way Apple doesn't piss off Adobe too bad.