More than half of Amazon's top selling computers are Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Macs account for 6 out of the 10 top selling computers at online mega-retailer Amazon.com this month, a sign that Apple continues to hold a significant computer market presence, says one Wall Street analyst.

Apple's computer sales also remain strong down the line, with 10 models in the top 20. Meanwhile, the company's new Tiger operating system continues to hold the top spot on a list spanning all of the retailer's electronics goods.

Gene Munster, a senior research analyst for investment and research firm PiperJaffray, has been tracking the presence of Apple products amongst Amazon's top seller lists in order to better weigh in on the demand for the company's offerings.

In a research note released to clients on Tuesday and obtained by AppleInsider, he noted that various versions of Apple's iPod digital music player are also dominating the retailer's MP3 player top seller list, occupying 8 of the top 10 spots and 11 of the top 20.

These numbers are up sharply from a couple of weeks ago when Apple's iPod players account for only 4 of the top 10 and 6 of the top 20 players. "We believe this exhibits Apple's dominance in the portable MP3 market and shows that the initial exploratory phase of other MP3 players has lightened," Munster wrote in the report.

PiperJaffray believes that Apple is improving production efficiency as evidenced by the fact that most products are being shipped on the same day they are ordered. "This is critical to the Apple story as Apple products continue to experience strong demand," the firm said.

PiperJaffray maintains an "Outperform" rating on Apple stock with a price target of $52 per share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    This is interesting data. Considering Apple's recent growth and Amazon's ability to continue selling Macs, I think it's a strong indication that we are seeing more and more people switching over to the platform.

I switched last year and it's been a great experience. I will not be purchasing another Windows based system. I am now a loyal Mac user!!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I went to Amazon and looked at the top selling MP3 Players. Unless you consider a belt clip or camera adaptor MP3 Players (as they do), iPods account for 9 out of the 10 top selling MP3 players and 14 out of the top 20. I like these numbers better seeing that a iPod power adaptor doesn't quite play my 50 cent or Tower of Power.

Meanwhile, aftervisiting the link provided, I noticed that 7 out of the top 10 computers sold on Amazon were Apples. 9 out of the top 20, and 12 out of the top 25. It is time to update the numbers because apple is kicking some butt!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    are many pc buyers buying from amazon? it seems like everyone goes with either white-box or dell, neither of which amazon sells obviously
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I highly doubt that people are buying in volumes from amazon but I haven't looked into it. I have never bought anything at amazon that was more than $50. Everything you find there is less some where else. For the ease-of-use shopper, I am sure that Amazon could be a great place to buy since it has a good reputation and offers reviews.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I buy often at amazon. Books, electronic books, cds, iPods, accessories. They're very popular because:

1) They ship internationally.

2) They're not picky about international (non-US) credit cards (many online stores won't sell products to credit card holders with billing addresses outside of the USA)

3) They offer several merchants (Office Depot, J&R Music and Computer World, Crutchfield, Target, Vanns, etc) so you can use the same interface to buy from many different stores and pick the one with the best price. This is very convenient since Crutchfield might not take my non-US credit card, but since Amazon does, I can buy at Crutchfield through Amazon's page.

4) They have zShops (They guarantee safe transactions with individuals and small merchants)

5) They have outstanding customer service. They act like they actually want to do business with you. So many online stores just deal with customers the way it is easier for them, not the other way around.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

are many pc buyers buying from amazon? it seems like everyone goes with either white-box or dell, neither of which amazon sells obviously

Bingo. These analysts should get themselves a real job instead of extrapolate this nonsense.

Dell are the most bought brand in computing and its not sold through the Amazon store, If Dell (or another manufacture with its own stores, online or not) gained a larger marked share of Windows computers sold one of the consequences would be that a larger portion of the computers sold at Amazon would be Macs.

Like I said analysts sucks fire hose.

EDIT: And look at the front page of their web site. Their stock went down double that of the rest of the marked. It clearly shows that the marked hate Apple-related analyses. All businesses dealing in that area will naturally fold before the year is over and extrapolating from todays figures piperjaffray will fold before midsummer.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Bingo. These analysts should get themselves a real job instead of extrapolate this nonsense.

Dell are the most bought brand in computing and its not sold through the Amazon store, If Dell (or another manufacture with its own stores, online or not) gained a larger marked share of Windows computers sold one of the consequences would be that a larger portion of the computers sold at Amazon would be Macs.

Like I said analysts sucks fire hose.

EDIT: And look at the front page of their web site. Their stock went down double that of the rest of the marked. It clearly shows that the marked hate Apple-related analyses. All businesses dealing in that area will naturally fold before the year is over and extrapolating from todays figures piperjaffray will fold before midsummer.

A little simplistic, don't you think?

If analysts' jobs were so simple, you (or anyone else, for that matter) should be doing it and earning 7-8 figures as a side job while still having time to moderate this board.

He is merely analyzing one of the larger inventory channels from which Apple distribute its wares. The fact that you are drawing many unwarranted conclusions "[PJC's stock price] went down double that of the rest of the marked [sic] because marked [sic] hate [sic] Apple-related analyses [sic]" is even worse.

Looks like you are sucking at the fire hose as well.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

If analysts' jobs were so simple, you (or anyone else, for that matter) should be doing it and earning 7-8 figures as a side job while still having time to moderate this board.

Integrity

Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

He is merely analyzing one of the larger inventory channels from which Apple distribute its wares. The fact that you are drawing many unwarranted conclusions "[PJC's stock price] went down double that of the rest of the marked [sic] because marked [sic] hate [sic] Apple-related analyses [sic]" is even worse.

Looks like you are sucking at the fire hose as well.

Try again.

Edit: Sorry I am not trying to pick a fight with you. I´m just in a bad mood today
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Amazon also frequently offers rebates, free shipping, and no sales tax on Mac purchases, making it an attractive option to other sellers.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    reno0132reno0132 Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jesperas

Amazon also frequently offers rebates, free shipping, and no sales tax on Mac purchases, making it an attractive option to other sellers.

I just went to Amazon.com and could not find one Apple computer. There is indication that they are out, is Apple cutting them off??? I Jobs not going to let them undercut the Apple store or the retailers? "I think everyone has to tote the line" a thought that Steve must have.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    You went to Amazon and you couldn't find any Apple computer? Where did you look for them, in Books sections?

Click here for the list of top selling computers.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Integrity

Not picking a fight with you as well but one can perform just about any job, be it a janitor or a CEO, with integrity.

If you have been a equities analyst and left because your integrity prevent you from doing what was being ask of you, fine, I respect you and the choices you have made.

If you do not want to be an analyst because that job is not right for you, does not interest you, requires skills you do not have, or for a myriad of other reason, that's fine as well, to each his or her own.

Nevertheless, to name-call and then imply that you, Anders, are above it all because you have integrity and they do not, well, that just opens up a whole can of worm, doesn't it?

In any case, I can understand one having a bad day - hope the day gets better for you.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    reno0132reno0132 Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

You went to Amazon and you couldn't find any Apple computer? Where did you look for them, in Books sections?

Click here for the list of top selling computers.

Go to Amazon.com click on computers and then pick from desktop or laptop and when you click on Apple products, it says sorry we are out... Take a look before being so sarcastic!!!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    aarghaargh Posts: 2member
    What isn't mentioned is that Apple has managed to be at the top half of the sellers list despite having the most expensive products. One could infer that "budget shoppers" aren't shopping there, but the low end (Apple and others) is also performing well.

Apple is doing pretty darn well (with macs)... people just don't believe it yet!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by reno0132

Go to Amazon.com click on computers and then pick from desktop or laptop and when you click on Apple products, it says sorry we are out... Take a look before being so sarcastic!!!

Well, obiously they're not actually out.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reno0132

It wasn't sarcasm, it was a joke, and I specifically put the smilie there so you wouldn't misunderstand.

That's a problem with their setup. Click here for a 12" PowerBook for example
  • Reply 17 of 18
    My point is this: If I had a 7 figure income from extrapolating from the Amazon top ten list of computer sales I surely would have a problem with my integrity: Translated to my own field of sociology it would be the same as if I talked causally to my neighbors about how their day had been and concluded that living above second floor makes you suicidal and houses should not be build higher than that anywhere.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

My point is this: If I had a 7 figure income from extrapolating from the Amazon top ten list of computer sales I surely would have a problem with my integrity: Translated to my own field of sociology it would be the same as if I talked causally to my neighbors about how their day had been and concluded that living above second floor makes you suicidal and houses should not be build higher than that anywhere.

nah... special point of view. Eben Anders