Why is the new Star Wars movie advertised so soon?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I mean, there are people lining up. There's stories in the news. Everyone knows it's coming. Sure, advertise it once the hardcore types have seen it, but why now?

You'd think that Lucas would save a few bucks and start after May 19th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    no... thats not right. u need to make sure everyone knows. it will prolly break the box office record for most money in the first weekend and to make sure of that u advertise and advertise. starting commercials after its release wont help at all. besides. everytime i see a commercial i get even more pumped up i cant wait to see it at 12;00 i already bought tickets wow i cant wait n i know im not alone
  • Reply 2 of 24
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    In honor of Disco Stu:

"Disco Stu does not advertise."

And why doesn't Disco Stu advertise?

Because he knows he is cool enough.

And why does Lucas blow his previous movie's wad on advertisements?

Because he knows they aren't cool enough.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    uh.. remember that there actually are people that don't live and breathe starwars (ie quote-unquote "normal") people...

these people do think starwars would be cool and would like to check it out, so this advertising is for them... they have other things marked on their calendars other than MAY 19 - OMFG THE GREATEST STAR WARS EVER !!!111!!!111!!!

also fanboys and girls would be happy to see lots of Vader-isation at malls, cineplexes, in the newspaper, etc...

as for those queing up already, may the force be with them

it should be cool...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Where can you buy tickets online in advance?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I kind of liked "attack of the clones." I expect this one to be even better.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I kind of liked "attack of the clones." I expect this one to be even better.

i was one of the first people in australia when i was in melbourne in 1999 to see phantom menace. i came out of that utterly disgraced and distraught**.

i liked the dark turn in attack o' the clones, i was like, yeah, now we're talking...

clone wars vol. 1 : nice

star wars ep 3... finally what the trilogy should have been... after watching ep.3 i think a lot of people, fans and non-fans, will look back on phantom menace and be like, wtf lucas ????!!???

**my first "oh sh1t this is gonna suck" moment in phantom menace came very early on, when qui-gon and obiwan are slicing through the trade federation thingy with their lightsabers, and making a big hole thing, and then some john williams score came on full blast... i was like..... ohhhhhh sh1t something's not right about this movie... then of course not too long after Jar Jar came into the picture and it was ALL OVER RED ROVER.

edit:

actually, personally, i wonder what if lucas waited several more years and had Emma Watson as Amidala instead of Natalie Portman... at least then Amidala would be talking in a real british accent like so many of the actors in episodes 4-6... instead of some bullsh1t wtf "Naboo" accent Natalie was using in phantom menace

edit2:

ian mcdarmid (palpatine) kicked arse all the way through though... f8cking awesome. i can't wait for him to kick some jedi council behind in ep.3

bwah ha ha ha ha
  • Reply 7 of 24
    In response to sunilraman, I'd say that Lucas could waited a few years and picked that chick from "Pirates of the Caribbean." I'm pretty sure she's a brit (although the whole accent thing doesn't mean much to me), but of bigger importance, she's Natalie Portman hit with a reverse-ugly-stick, and is certainly no worse of an actress.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

In response to sunilraman, I'd say that Lucas could waited a few years and picked that chick from "Pirates of the Caribbean." I'm pretty sure she's a brit (although the whole accent thing doesn't mean much to me), but of bigger importance, she's Natalie Portman hit with a reverse-ugly-stick, and is certainly no worse of an actress.

hmm... yess i am 12 years older than emma watson and she turned 15 last month... i'll shut up now about her before the feds think i'm some sort of p*dophile

Kiera Knightley... is who you be talking about methinks... yes, nice in pirates of the carribean, could work for Amidala, but was waaaay to skinny in King Arthur

umm.. are you saying Natalie Portman is ugly
  • Reply 9 of 24
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

I mean, there are people lining up. There's stories in the news. Everyone knows it's coming. Sure, advertise it once the hardcore types have seen it, but why now?

as you mentioned: link
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

are you saying Natalie Portman is ugly

She's cute, but I expect more out of Hollywood, especially since she's not a very good actress. Natalie is about a 6, maybe 6.5. The better-looking look-alike is in the 7 range somewhere.

For those of you who are curious, the scale is gaussian. Nobody is a 10, and 9's and 8's aren't too common either. 5 is average. 6.67 is the first moment, meaning that Natalie is better looking than about 65-70% of the people I've measured on the scale.

It's not that I have too much time, it's just that I'm thoroughly a geek.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    the attack of the clones was cool.. episode 3 looks kind of neat though... from what the trailers have shown at least....
  • Reply 12 of 24
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

How the hell is a week or two "so soon"/too early?

Movies get advertised months ahead of time usually.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    my local mall cineplex opens tomorrow morning for buying star wars tickets. hope not too many nutjobs there, no i am not camping overnight!!

...but i will go early in the morning

to see the midnight premeire (12am May 19)

...i'll buy one or two extra to scalp maybe...
  • Reply 14 of 24
    my family has always liked the old ones better the new ones.. but i think i like the new ones better because there's more and in some sense better sword fighting...

im looking forward to the fight between anikan and obi wan.. i think that'll be a good fight
  • Reply 15 of 24
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

How the hell is a week or two "so soon"/too early? Movies get advertised months ahead of time usually.

My point exactly. Garbage does need to be pushed ahead of time in order to spark some interest. But the interest in Star Wars movies is already there.

Why bother advertising something that is already being freely "advertised" in the media? Why not kick it in when the box office numbers start dropping (or start in anticipation of that drop based on previous experience).?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    bwah ha ha ha eat bantha droppings biatches...!

i got my 2 tickets for star wars ep.3 for May 19th 12AM .... my time zone is GMT+8 so i'll be seeing it 8 hours ahead of (most) UK peoples and 8++ hours ahead of US peoples

mua ha ha ha ha aha

only thing is the aussies and kiwis that would have seen it 2-4 hourse before me.....

mua hah ah ah aha

the dark side is getting ever closer

edit: i only had to queue up at 8AM this morning for 2 hours at my local mall cineplex

bwah ha hah ah aha haah ha ha

to the losers queing up for days....

• Reply 17 of 24
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

My point exactly. Garbage does need to be pushed ahead of time in order to spark some interest. But the interest in Star Wars movies is already there.

Why bother advertising something that is already being freely "advertised" in the media? Why not kick it in when the box office numbers start dropping (or start in anticipation of that drop based on previous experience).?

You're presuming that the ads for the movie are to advertise the movie.

They aren't. They are merely to stoke the hype for the surrounding product/service tie-in ads that are also playing.

Get excited about Star Wars "the event" and buy all these things and eat this and drink that, and buy this game.

A person's seeing the movie is secondary to them, if that.

It's a given people will see it. What needs advertising is all the associated products.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    True enough. But walking into any place that sells anything, I find a Star Wars tie-in. While you speak of the event, sometimes I think this over-saturation is the reason there is a backlash in hardcore types talking about how the movie sucks. Will the actual movie live up to the event being pushed?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

True enough. But walking into any place that sells anything, I find a Star Wars tie-in. While you speak of the event, sometimes I think this over-saturation is the reason there is a backlash in hardcore types talking about how the movie sucks. Will the actual movie live up to the event being pushed?

The tiny niche that is "hardcore" can entirely disappear, and Lucasfilm wouldn't be terribly upset. This is their last Star Wars movie, and they're going to sell spin-off merchandise LIKE THEY ALWAYS HAVE.

I really don't see why people get upset about commercialization.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Of course the fans know it is coming but honestly they would be disappointed if it wasn't hyped. The rumors would fly that it was terrible.

I just hope Lucas gives attention to the direction, acting, and story. Instead of just to the special fx like the last two.