Anybody get a new 2ghz iMac yet?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    geraldogeraldo Posts: 10member
    So far no noise. It is silent and I turned processor performance to highest.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    nli10nli10 Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Geraldo

So far no noise. It is silent and I turned processor performance to highest.

It's quieter than my old iMac, it has a slight low pitched hum from the fan but nothing that would annoy me (and I get easily wound up by noises).

You can have a DVD on quietly and still not hear the fan.

Not so keen on the speakers pointing downwards though, I'm sure the desk gets a better sound than I do...

Only problem I've come accross is my cheap Speedtouch 330 modem doesn't work with Tiger so I'm using ICS via the old mac. Not ideal, but it seems to be OK while they get the drivers to work!
  • Reply 23 of 41
    So, just out of curiosity since this is the first Apple system I have purchased online from them: Is it commonplace for them to state that they will ship a product "Same Business Day" and have it sit in Processing Order status several days? This seems to be quite a deceptive practice if it is commonplace.

Also, allowing people to choose and pay for Next Day shipping when it can't be delivered (as was the case with another poster in this thread) seems wrong as well.

I am debating whether or not I should keep contacting the 4 apple retail stores in my area to see if they received any in-stock. Does anyone know if an order can be cancelled when it is in the Processing Order status (and there is no on-line way of changing or cancelling the order)? I am cool with waiting, if the est. ship date of May 17th means I will have it on my doorstep then. But, these posts about people waiting quite a long time to have it shipped half-way around the world has me a little worried.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bostongeek

So, just out of curiosity since this is the first Apple system I have purchased online from them: Is it commonplace for them to state that they will ship a product "Same Business Day" and have it sit in Processing Order status several days? This seems to be quite a deceptive practice if it is commonplace.

Also, allowing people to choose and pay for Next Day shipping when it can't be delivered (as was the case with another poster in this thread) seems wrong as well.

I am debating whether or not I should keep contacting the 4 apple retail stores in my area to see if they received any in-stock. Does anyone know if an order can be cancelled when it is in the Processing Order status (and there is no on-line way of changing or cancelling the order)? I am cool with waiting, if the est. ship date of May 17th means I will have it on my doorstep then. But, these posts about people waiting quite a long time to have it shipped half-way around the world has me a little worried.

I changed my order to standard (regual keyboard) today and was told it will ship same day. They also upgraded me to free 2 day shipping.

The shipping is always from time of actual shipment. Next day does not mean you will get in next day. That should be obvious and is stated on their order pages.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:

The shipping is always from time of actual shipment. Next day does not mean you will get in next day. That should be obvious and is stated on their order pages.

Yup. And, I believe the person in this thread had stated that it has been "in transit" for several days from Shanghai.

As far as my order, I only expect it to ship as stated on the order page "Estimated Ship: Same business day". Yes, it says estimated. But, how can they be *that* wrong? And, how come they don't update the site to reflect the current situation? I don't mind waiting for the standard shipping (which tends to take a bout a week with all other sites I do online business with), but if it turns out I will have to wait a week or longer just for it to leave, with another week in-transit, I will be a tad upset. This was just a plain, non-BTO order. This *should* ship "Same Business Day" as they state.

(Wishing I hadn't sold my PC already...)
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:

Yup. And, I believe the person in this thread had stated that it has been "in transit" for several days from Shanghai.

As far as my order, I only expect it to ship as stated on the order page "Estimated Ship: Same business day". Yes, it says estimated. But, how can they be *that* wrong? And, how come they don't update the site to reflect the current situation? I don't mind waiting for the standard shipping (which tends to take a bout a week with all other sites I do online business with), but if it turns out I will have to wait a week or longer just for it to leave, with another week in-transit, I will be a tad upset. This was just a plain, non-BTO order. This *should* ship "Same Business Day" as they state.

Well that is no good. Alas its frustrating....
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:

Just to clarify... I mean, I wish I had waited a little longer before selling the PC, not that I shouldn't have sold the PC to get an iMac. I am still looking forward to the iMac, I just wish I didn't have to wait so long, and that Apple would be a little more up-front with the ship/wait times.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Ok, I just got off the phone, and sounds like "Ships Same Business Day" translates in Apple-speak to "Ships in Eight Days". That sure is one-long-day... I would hate to be an Apple employee, only getting paid 1/8 what they work . This means it will take at least 2 weeks to receive my iMac. VERY disappointing.

Thus I will, each day, ring my local Apple Retail stores to see if they have any in-stock.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Ok, I just got off the phone, and sounds like "Ships Same Business Day" translates in Apple-speak to "Ships in Eight Days". That sure is one-long-day... I would hate to be an Apple employee, only getting paid 1/8 what they work . This means it will take at least 2 weeks to receive my iMac. VERY disappointing.

Thus I will, each day, ring my local Apple Retail stores to see if they have any in-stock.

Oh I so feel for you. Mine is listed as processing and is suppose to ship today. Hoever new orders show 1-2 business days. I would bet my left arm it is not going to ship today!!!
  • Reply 30 of 41
    sclarkgasclarkga Posts: 1member
    I ordered my 20" iMac on May 3rd and was given estimated shipping date of 5/10. However, on 5/10 I received an e-mail telling me that the machine wouldn't ship until 5/18. I'm a little disappointed but not too much - I don't have time to play with it right now (I teach school and we're trying to get through the end of the year). Besides, both my Mac's are still working - a probably would for a good bit longer. The machine I do my school work with is a PowerMac 8600 that I bought in 1997. I think I'll retire 15 years from now still using that machine.

I'm wondering if the delay could be related to the update of Tiger that everybody is talking about. Thoughts?
  • Reply 31 of 41
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    So to confirm from those in an absolutely silent room, the rev B iMacs still have the low volume "buzzing" or "humming" sound that vaguely resembles a dentist drill or model airplane?

And I certainly hope they are all using K capacitors now, if yours has X capacitors, your iMac is a ticking timebomb.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    I am that person with overnight shipping.

Yes I knew that overnight meant from the day it shipped and not the day I ordered. However I never expected it to ship from Shanghai as it was a stock order. However in the long run it makes sense as they probably ship stock machines from Shanghai to Apple in the US to have them customized or delivered to the stores and someone thought, well why don't we put orders from customers on the same pallet.

I called Apple and they refunded my overnight as the rep agreed with me that this what out of the ordinary. The rep did tell me that usually customers who ask for overnight delivery are shipped their products before those requesting 2nd day or free delivery. UPS quoted the rep that I will receive my computer either on Friday or Monday. I think I can wait that long. I am hoping Friday though!!
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Another oddity about when I spoke to Apple on the phone is that the Customer Care person insisted that I had a BTO order. This was after I asked if I would be able to cancel my order if I saw an iMac sitting in my local Apple store. His response was, "Well, they wouldn't have a custom configured one". To which I replied, "But, the one I ordered was stock... no changes." To which he replied, "Well it says here you got the one with a 250GB HD, and 512MB RAM". To which I replied, "Yea, thats stock."

Very weird. Also, he said he would rather me not purchase it in the Apple Store... which seems bizarre... Does Apple really care whether I purchase it in their online store or in their retail stores?

Also, he insisted that it clearly states 3-5 business day shipping... This was while I was staring at the Apple Store online where it currently states 1-2 business days (and earlier stated same business day).

This sorta frustration is what I would expect dealing with Dell or Gateway... not Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    geraldogeraldo Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JonE

So to confirm from those in an absolutely silent room, the rev B iMacs still have the low volume "buzzing" or "humming" sound that vaguely resembles a dentist drill or model airplane?

And I certainly hope they are all using K capacitors now, if yours has X capacitors, your iMac is a ticking timebomb.

What are "X" capacitors and why are they timebombs?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    http://www.pbase.com/johncoggi/image/40667989

The capacitors either have an "X" shape or the newer "K" shape. If yours has X capacitors, they will inevitably blow at some point (unless you barely push the system), causing the system to fail, with video corruption all over the screen.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by JonE

Um no - I said the opposite. Stick your head next to the slot at the back of the machine and you can hear a small fan. I didn't even notice it until I went back there to change cables.

Sit in your normal position in front of the computer and you can barely hear it. The noise is not oscilating like a drill or plane, it's a single low frequency fan noise. Anything you do on the computer is louder than this noise, even typing, you have to concentrate to hear it.

But I can only talk about my iMac.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    trowelltrowell Posts: 41member
    Ordered imac 20" with wireless keyboard from Apple Store. No BTo options. For delivery to London.

Date Ordered: 3rd May

As of today - 11th May. Machine is still sitting in Shanghai.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by TRowell

Ordered imac 20" with wireless keyboard from Apple Store. No BTo options. For delivery to London.

Date Ordered: 3rd May

As of today - 11th May. Machine is still sitting in Shanghai.

Delivered to London? Couldn't you have just got it from the Apple Store (Regents Street I Think?) - it'd have been much quicker. They'd have delivered it to your house for free too!
  • Reply 39 of 41
    trowelltrowell Posts: 41member
    I would have prefer to go to the store but it's a case of educational discounts.

I'd get 6% off in the store but if I order through my University network I get a 12% discount.

Very frustrating.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Ah that's OK then - that's a good enough reason!!

Maybe I should have bagged me a student to buy it for me - 6 (or 12) percent is quite a lot on a new computer.