The "Finally gave in and ordered a Power Mac" thread

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Apple did not upgrade my shipping. Left Apple May 6th, sat in the fedex center till tuesday and now the estimated arrival is May 16th!

What gives!
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

250 GB serial HD*

*If this is a Maxtor, this was a mistake on my part. I should have gotten the minimal and bought 2 Seagate Barracudas. Ah well.

On the dual 2.3, the 250GB hard drive IS the minimum.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    maritziomaritzio Posts: 31member
    Well i bit the bullet, went to the bank manager and said "Lookie here Mr Bank Manager - give me lots of money for a sweet computer" and he said "Ok!"

so now i'm happily in debt but i have ordered a

PowerMac Dual 2.7

2GB Ram

400GB HD

6800 Ultra

bluetooth with keyboard and logitech mouse

airport

eyeTV 200

23" apple display

working full time graphic designer but also do part time jobs which will pay off this beastie. i need it too last at least 5 years, which it should do nicely. i can always put in more ram and a second hard drive. it arrives in a week.

YIPPEE - i'm one happy chappie now

my current machine is a powerbook 800, 512MB Ram, 60GB HD - so as you can see i needed this upgrade, i would have liked a bigger jump but i couldn't wait for the next update!
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maritzio

my current machine is a powerbook 800, 512MB Ram, 60GB HD - so as you can see i needed this upgrade, i would have liked a bigger jump but i couldn't wait for the next update!

That's a pretty BIG jump. Do some before and afters and I'm sure you'll be happy.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    ravenpenravenpen Posts: 14member
    You were correct Nugget,

I just checked my email and low and behold my computer has shipped.

Glad it shipped "early" and I get to play with it over the weekend.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    I finally took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Dual 2.0 GhZ G5 with 1.5 GB of RAM. I've been drooling over my buddy's IMac for 2 years and I have to say, this is NICE!!!!!!

I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today. I don't think I'm going to work tomorrow.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    t-bonet-bone Posts: 23member
    I also splurged at the Tiger party and bought the following with the 10% scratcher discount:

Dual 2.0GHz

512MB RAM

160GB SATA Drive

16X DL DVD-Burner

ATi Radeon 9600

20" Cinema Display

AppleCare

Very happy the the G5, but I've had a nightmare with the 20". 4 days after receiving it I got a vertical gray area on the left side of the screen about 2 inches wide running top to bottom. Had that immediately replaced via warranty. I just got it back last night (2 biz day turnaround time). No dead pixels, excellent!

Then I found out that the brightness buttons were screwed up. They worked before sending the display back to Apple for repair. Now when I press "-", the display dims = OK; I press "+" and the display dims = not working. I'm sending it back again!

Anyone else having problems with their 20" display?
  • Reply 48 of 52
    nice machine the 250GB of space is fanominal... its soo nice to have a lot of space to load up and save stuff on here and still have a lot of space left over nice purchase. as for the online stuff.. i wouldnt worry bout that because my brother always does his orderng online w/ apple and such b/c primary there isnt a store close to him, and he doesnt get any troubles w/ their shipping
  • Reply 49 of 52
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    Isn't anyone worried about the liquid cooling in the 2.7 Ghz (as well as the 2.5) ? I'm all for the 2.7, but I am hesitating since the fridge may leak after a few years. Or is it ? I never read any reports of anyone having this problem, then again, the 2.5 Ghz is only a year old ...
  • Reply 50 of 52
    I'm totally delighted with my new G5 2.0 Rev B. and the 24" Dell display

combo.

I can upgrade the RAM up to 8GB, add a better PCI-X GPU and flash the

Superdrive anytime.

With the $100. Spring Apple education go save rebate, that brings my G5 2.0 Dually down to $1599.

My Dell 2405FPW 24" display was less than $899 shipped.

Both items only took 3 days to arrive once they were shipped.

The worst part for me now is having to wait to afford the audio gear and software that I need to put this all together.

Even so, I have a great system on a rather frugal budget.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    ravenpenravenpen Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silver

Isn't anyone worried about the liquid cooling in the 2.7 Ghz (as well as the 2.5) ? I'm all for the 2.7, but I am hesitating since the fridge may leak after a few years. Or is it ? I never read any reports of anyone having this problem, then again, the 2.5 Ghz is only a year old ...

The liquid cooling unit is the whole reason I got Apple Care for the first time.

It's also the reason I waited ten months for the new towers to be released. I wanted them to work out the bugs from the liquid cooling system and from what I've heard the system in the dual 2.7's and even some of the later 2.5's is made by a completely different company than the originals.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    En route:

Dual 2.0GHz

Bluetooth/Airport ready

250GB HD

Radeon 9650

Canon IP4000 printer

Dell 2005FPW 20" wide aspect display ($570 post tax)

Two 512MB Kingston sticks ($138 for both) for a total of 1.5GB RAM

educational discount applied

I'll probably replace my Logitech optical wireless mouse with a newer, flashier model.

My current machine has lasted me 3 years. It's an 800MHz G4 iMac 15" flatscreen, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD, 32MB GPU. I think I'll be happy.