Lack of QT fullscreen is becoming a usability problem?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I really hate to beat a dead horse, but this issue is getting worse for the consumer.

When I view one of the new 1280x720 (of which 17" iMac G5 screen exceeds) videos in the new QuickTime HD gallery, the QT controls are halfway cut off by the Dock. Granted, I could resize the Dock or QT, but I don't want to. This is just unacceptable from a usability and UI standpoint, and it's almost ridiculous now, in the "year of HD" that I, at a "consumer" level, cannot fullscreen these videos for the proper experience.

I guess I'll have to put up with hiding the Dock and dodging around it while I try to use the windowed QT controls.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    What about playing your movies full screen by using iTunes?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    what about using keyboard controls or paying $30 for those and many more capabilities!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    You're both missing the point. I don't think workarounds satisfy OS X's usability paradigm. When the QT window is so big that stuff constantly gets in the way, there's a problem.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by JonE

You're both missing the point. I don't think workarounds satisfy OS X's usability paradigm. When the QT window is so big that stuff constantly gets in the way, there's a problem.

So get yourself a 30" display and quit whining !
  • Reply 5 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacAficionado

what about using keyboard controls or paying $30 for those and many more capabilities!

STFU fanboy - There is NOTHING pro about full screen playback - most pros dont need that because they have a video interface and an NTSC or ATSC or PAL video monitor (or at least a TV set) right there for output.

It is kind of like swing out LCDs on DV cameras, Ma and Paw consumer use and love them whin filming billys soccer game - but go find a pro videogropher on the sideline of a sporting event NOT using the viewfinder - hell, find a hi-end broadcast cam that has a swing out LCD...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

STFU fanboy - There is NOTHING pro about full screen playback - most pros dont need that because they have a video interface and an NTSC or ATSC or PAL video monitor (or at least a TV set) right there for output.

It is kind of like swing out LCDs on DV cameras, Ma and Paw consumer use and love them whin filming billys soccer game - but go find a pro videogropher on the sideline of a sporting event NOT using the viewfinder - hell, find a hi-end broadcast cam that has a swing out LCD...

you can't compare pro and consumer video equipment on that level. they differ in price by about $50,000 and serve much different purposes. i do agree that watching a movie full screen isn't something that only pros do, but i don't think the "pro" in "quicktime pro" is referring to professionals. it's more like a "quicktime plus" or something.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

So get yourself a 30" display and quit whining !

JonE is talking about some serious

GUI glitches and everything you come up with

is a double smile. Get a grip...

• Reply 8 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    on the QT discussions (Apple's own) we brought this up for QT7.

Lets say it's a high up decision and they hear about it... constantly... since... years.

I think "that much" more pressure could make a difference.

So, keep it up.

• Reply 9 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Thank you ZO. Maybe I'll go pitch in on Apple's boards. It's a serious annoyance. I "stole" QT Pro just to have this, ONLY this, on my girlfriend's PowerBook. She will never export anything. I just wanted full screen, and Surfer's Serials was quicker than the other ways to get Full Screen. So Apple...come on.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Now that the Quicktime API has been completely overhauled, it seems like someone would be able to write a really good replacement for QT Player with playlists, full screen playback, etc., without too much trouble.

VLC and MPlayer are okay, but they really don't have the same feel as a native Cocoa app, and you can't scrub through videos like you can in Quicktime.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    whiterabbitwhiterabbit Posts: 208member
    Well, I think it's rediculous too. I mean, you buy this whole computer and everything, and then you can't even play movies in full screen. That's not the kind of thing you should have to pay extra for. The editing features maybe, but not something like fullscreening.

I think that it would be better to just drop the editing features from QuickTime, make it free, or at least come free with Mac computers, and then leave the editing up to iMovie (which, although it's more advanced, happens to come free with the computer.)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    It should come standard. I can just hear the Windows users laughing now.

"You claim mac is so great but you can't watch videos full screen out of the box?!" *Laughter*

I mean come on it's getting pathetic in this day and age to have to pay for something like this. (I imagine that most want Pro for this feature, I certainly did).