Apple and the Stock Market

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There are usually a ton of rosey financial outlooks for Apple from all sorts of investment firms, but why does it seem that Piper Jaffrays Gene Muster always has the rosiest and most positive things to say? Is he just really smart, or is there some sort of tie between he and Apple. Just curious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hankx32

There are usually a ton of rosey financial outlooks for Apple from all sorts of investment firms, but why does it seem that Piper Jaffrays Gene Muster always has the rosiest and most positive things to say? Is he just really smart, or is there some sort of tie between he and Apple. Just curious.

my personal take is that the analysis given by each firm is influenced by their 'strategy' to some degree...

eg. Piper J and Gene M might benefit by having very rosy outlooks, while Merril Lynch might benefit in some way by having less positive outlooks...

i think personally that this changes over time according again, to their strategy.

eg. pre-split merril lynch IIRC was riding some massive apple hype such as putting out stuff like 'apple and sony to merge' and 'itunes video store is possible' ... not that their blatantly wrong, but analysts i feel are paid to be able to massage given data enough to make a plausible future prediction, but along the lines of their overall portfolio strategy
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

my personal take is that the analysis given by each firm is influenced by their 'strategy' to some degree...

eg. Piper J and Gene M might benefit by having very rosy outlooks, while Merril Lynch might benefit in some way by having less positive outlooks...

i think personally that this changes over time according again, to their strategy.

eg. pre-split merril lynch IIRC was riding some massive apple hype such as putting out stuff like 'apple and sony to merge' and 'itunes video store is possible' ... not that their blatantly wrong, but analysts i feel are paid to be able to massage given data enough to make a plausible future prediction, but along the lines of their overall portfolio strategy

Thanks Sunilraman, that makes perfect sense.