Apple posts DVD Player 4.6 update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released DVD Player 4.6, which "delivers added support for DVD Studio Pro 4 authored HD DVDs." Key enhancements include: additional support for playing DSP 4 authored HD DVD folders from DVD discs and hard drives; additional support of discs with both SD and DSP 4 authored HD content; improved Global Player settings; and improved usage for last play and disc info dialogs. The 8.6MB update is recommended for all users of DVD Player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    hmmm ... doesn't show up on Software Update ...

then again, niether does the iTunes update

• Reply 2 of 14
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

hmmm ... doesn't show up on Software Update ...

then again, niether does the iTunes update

Same exact experiance here. Maybe software update is broken by Tiger? Doubtful though
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

Same exact experiance here. Maybe software update is broken by Tiger? Doubtful though

No... I'm running on Panther (I will be getting tiger soon!) and neither of the updates are showing on Software Update. Only the iSight update.

But the odd thing is... is that I can't find DVD Player 4.6 on Apple's support site... hmmm, where is it?

Edit: Finally found it with the help of Mac Rumors... but It requires 10.4. I guess I need to update before all the software avalible require 10.4!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Tiger here and no DVD, or iTunes updates yet showing up?

I think there is a problem in Tiger.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Tiger here and no DVD, or iTunes updates yet showing up?

I think there is a problem in Tiger.

Maybe, or maybe just Apple forgot to put them in the right places so that they go into Software Update?

I don't think there is a problem with Tiger becuase on Panther the Software Update doesn't show iTunes 4.8 and the requirements are 10.2.8 or above. Hmmm, well you can always download them from the Apple Support Site If you want them.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    *sigh* i want a powermac g5 dual 2.3ghz and DVD Player 4.6 and DVDstudiopro4 so i can burn and watch HiDef on Dual-layer DVD+R 8.5gb dics..!!!

*sigh again* that would also mean i would need a high-def camera, like a sweet US$5000 panasonic 1280x720 24p-60p camera...

(i'm totally against interlaced format, can't wait for full 1920x1080p to take off)

baby steps... i'll start by compiling my wishlist for a 1280x720 24-60p playback/production platform
  • Reply 7 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

Maybe, or maybe just Apple forgot to put them in the right places so that they go into Software Update?

I don't think there is a problem with Tiger becuase on Panther the Software Update doesn't show iTunes 4.8 and the requirements are 10.2.8 or above. Hmmm, well you can always download them from the Apple Support Site If you want them.

I was able to download the Pro Application Support update, but that's it. The iTunes and Quicktime updates still haven't shown up for me under Tiger or Panther on any of the machines I've tried to update.

• Reply 8 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I was able to download the Pro Application Support update, but that's it. The iTunes and Quicktime updates still haven't shown up for me under Tiger or Panther on any of the machines I've tried to update.

Then why don't you download them?

AFAIK iTunes updates never show up in SU the first couple of days for some reason.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    The Apple Intermediate Codec 1.0.1 update is showing after using Software Update. I manually downloaded the iTunes update so I would not expect that to show. I am running Tiger.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

The Apple Intermediate Codec 1.0.1 update is showing after using Software Update. I manually downloaded the iTunes update so I would not expect that to show. I am running Tiger.

Do you know if it is Tiger only?

Not happening here with Panfa.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

*sigh again* that would also mean i would need a high-def camera, like a sweet US$5000 panasonic 1280x720 24p-60p camera...

You mean close to 9k after you've shelled out for P2 cards. The tape drive only records standard DV signals.

Looking forward to seeing FCS in action and the process for authoring HD-DVD stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omega

Do you know if it is Tiger only?

Not happening here with Panfa.

Seems so I tried to install on my G5 running panther 10.3.9 and the updates says it's not for my OS.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Finally got the iTunes update late this afternoon. Still haven't gotten the Quicktime update. What's up with the updater... sheesh.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I downloaded them all (except Apple Intermediate Codec 1.0.1) manually from apple.com. It wasn't a tough task.

Anyway, the DVD Player 4.6 works better here with more features.