when to install tiger?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi all. my first post. bought a g4 14in ibook about a month ago. my second apple product after my ipod. a few of the reasons i bought the ibook was wanting a stable laptop, getting a $100 reduction on the cost at the time (apple matched the amazon rebate), and being able to buy tiger for $10 after the fact. all my software is currently up to date using 10.3.9.

right now, i am happier with the computer than i have been with any microsoft product. so much so that i am hesitant to install tiger and incur any problems. i received the tiger install disk yesterday.

since my computer is fairly new, both the upgrade and install should work well. i am thinking of waiting until version 10.4.2 comes out until i install tiger, then get the updates.

anyone else waiting for the bugs to be worked out before doing an install? is july a good estimate for when 4.2 may come out? i assume 4.1 will come out this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I would wait until AT LEAST 10.4.2, and honestly, given the state of 10.4.0, I would wait until 10.4.3. I am not upgrading my critical Macs until at least 3 rounds of solid and comprehensive bug fixes.

Don't get me wrong. Tiger is awesome. But it is painfully buggy.

The best answer is honestly just to keep reading the boards, especially the Apple ones. People will always be reporting problems, but you will notice the trend over time, and when you see few threads on critical and annoying bugs, then it probably is a good time to upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    i upgraded my iBook from 10.3.9 to 10.4.0 and havent noticed anything bad about it.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I've installed it on 3 computers ... a G3, a G4, and a G5 ...

I've had NO problems with any of them , my recommendation would be to install it as soon as you have 30 minutes free to do it!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    eekles77eekles77 Posts: 58member
    Same here. No problems since I installed on my 12inch iBook G4. I would recommend installing right away.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boochydog

hi all. my first post. bought a g4 14in ibook about a month ago. my second apple product after my ipod. a few of the reasons i bought the ibook was wanting a stable laptop, getting a $100 reduction on the cost at the time (apple matched the amazon rebate), and being able to buy tiger for $10 after the fact. all my software is currently up to date using 10.3.9.

right now, i am happier with the computer than i have been with any microsoft product. so much so that i am hesitant to install tiger and incur any problems. i received the tiger install disk yesterday.

since my computer is fairly new, both the upgrade and install should work well. i am thinking of waiting until version 10.4.2 comes out until i install tiger, then get the updates.

anyone else waiting for the bugs to be worked out before doing an install? is july a good estimate for when 4.2 may come out? i assume 4.1 will come out this month.

if you want to be really safe, wait til 10.4.1, which should come out next tuesday. waiting til 10.4.2 is just stupid. all you have to do is make sure you back up your crucial files and you have nothing to lose should the computer gods give you a bad day.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

Don't get me wrong. Tiger is awesome. But it is painfully buggy.

It is? According to who?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    I had it on my Powerbook for a few days but went back to Panther for a while. My issues were all PC related... VPC does not work well with it (shared networking no worky) and Remote Desktop is reealllyy sllooww. And finally I have no VPN solution for work which would mean carrying a IBM Stinkpad which makes Tiger that much more difficult to deal with . Once the VPN works I will probably upgrade again.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    boochydogboochydog Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if you want to be really safe, wait til 10.4.1, which should come out next tuesday. waiting til 10.4.2 is just stupid. all you have to do is make sure you back up your crucial files and you have nothing to lose should the computer gods give you a bad day.

stupid is probably not the word that should be used to describe waiting until 4.2 to install tiger - overly cautious may be a better descriptor. i am going to wait until 4.1 is released, then install tiger.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    gfishergfisher Posts: 17member
    I would certainly advise anyone who has Microsoft Word (Microsoft Office for Mac) installed, to wait on converting to Tiger until the bug is fixed that destroys your fonts. Apparently, there is a plug-in which must be installed first, or something like that. In any event, if you have Microsoft Office installed, converting to Tiger under present arrangements will destroy your ability to use the Microsoft products. I have found other bugs, but so far this is the only one that is positively destructive.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by gfisher

I would certainly advise anyone who has Microsoft Word (Microsoft Office for Mac) installed, to wait on converting to Tiger until the bug is fixed that destroys your fonts. Apparently, there is a plug-in which must be installed first, or something like that. In any event, if you have Microsoft Office installed, converting to Tiger under present arrangements will destroy your ability to use the Microsoft products. I have found other bugs, but so far this is the only one that is positively destructive.

I had Tiger up for a while and was using Office 2004 with no problems.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gfishergfisher Posts: 17member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I had it on my Powerbook for a few days but went back to Panther for a while. My issues were all PC related... VPC does not work well with it (shared networking no worky) and Remote Desktop is reealllyy sllooww. And finally I have no VPN solution for work which would mean carrying a IBM Stinkpad which makes Tiger that much more difficult to deal with . Once the VPN works I will probably upgrade again.

Is it safe, or even possible, to "upgrade" to Panther from Tiger, in case you encounter a bug you can't live with?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by gfisher

Is it safe, or even possible, to "upgrade" to Panther from Tiger, in case you encounter a bug you can't live with?

No ... You CAN re-install Panther though.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    rhythmrhythm Posts: 16member
    Been using 'Tiger' for about one week now. No problems to speak of (installed on an 800 MHz TiBook) aside from the inexplicable inability to drag any text in Mail up to the 'Subject' bar. Everything runs more nimbly, with no issues arising. Installing now might not be a problem. Anyway, good luck !!!