Possible to partition a software raid in Tiger?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, I'm wondering if it is possible to partition a software raid in Tiger? I tried this in Panther and it was not possible at all. I intend to do a software raid-0 on my PMG5 and then partition it to separate programs and data. If anyone knows whether this is possible or not in Tiger, then you can potentially save me a lot of time.

I know I'll lose all my data and all but I have backups, so there's no worries there. I just want to know if it is possible at all?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

Hi, I'm wondering if it is possible to partition a software raid in Tiger? I tried this in Panther and it was not possible at all. I intend to do a software raid-0 on my PMG5 and then partition it to separate programs and data. If anyone knows whether this is possible or not in Tiger, then you can potentially save me a lot of time.

I know I'll lose all my data and all but I have backups, so there's no worries there. I just want to know if it is possible at all?

NEVER EVER EEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVER DO SOFTWARE RAID!!!

If the RAID controller is in software, it like any other peice of data can get corrupt, if that happens you are screwed, I say get a HW controller and do raid 1, you get fast load speed and perfect redundency.

And one more thing, just because you have raid, do not stop doing offline backups of the crucial stuff JIC.

(this peice of common computer knoledge is platform independant)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Thanks for your reply. I always do backups. Have multiple copies on external hard disk (offline most of the time) and on DVDs. I'm not that concern about reliability. I thought I'd try to increase some performance without spending anymore.

It's probably a bad idea, but is it do-able?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    onyx-pbonyx-pb Posts: 26member
    Not sure if I'm answering your question:

I setup software raid on my G4-Sawtooth with the two internal 80Gb drives mirrored, still only one big volume (i.e. no apps and data partitions). I saw (ok perceived) some improvement on boot up and loading apps BUT my day to day work (compiling Java apps) took a massive performance hit, and as I boot once every few days and shutdown my java ide nightly (to backup data to my laptop) I have to say it wasn't worth the effort.

Software raid seems to improve disk Reads and wreck disk Writes... ah well.

I'm keeping my eye out on eBay to see if a hardware raid card comes up... if not then I'll trash the G4 and use the 2nd drive as a backup drive.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Mirrored RAID is slower than a single drive, irrespective of software or hardware.

Striped RAID is faster than a single drive, irrespective of software or hardware.

In both cases, hardware will be faster (obviously). Software RAID also takes a CPU hit, as some CPU cycles will be used to maintain the RAID... I've since given up on the idea, but thanks for the reply.