Server Vs. Regular

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What's the difference between Mac OS X Server and Mac OS X, besides the server tools. Anything different about the main operating system. Is one faster than the other?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Server includes pre-configured redy to run additional pieces like php, mysql, postfix etc...

Basically it's designed to be run as a ..... server :-)

When you need to have DHCP server, Open Directory Master / Replica, VPN, print services server, etc, etc...

Many of these (if not all) can be run on OS X (client) but you would need to download the packages and configure them..
  • Reply 2 of 5
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    Server is even more buggy than client. There are some astonishing bugs in fact.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    don't even begin...

• Reply 4 of 5
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

don't even begin...

let's begin. I've purchased Tiger Server but haven't installed it yet. What kind of problems can I expect to have?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

let's begin. I've purchased Tiger Server but haven't installed it yet. What kind of problems can I expect to have?

They've "simplified" DNS rather, perhaps problematically depending on what you need to do with it, be prepared to hand-craft you zone files though. Applecare also advised me that I should put the server in a subdomain. I've seen some slow kerberos authentication too. I've seen sporadic server dropouts within server admin

Mail needed lots of massaging to get working on a new install, directory creation and config file creation/copying.

Oh and they whole way you do hostnames now is, odd. Software distribution is good but hung server admin a few times for me.

You may not see these problems however, and ACLs are worth the price alone.