The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

Comments

• Reply 101 of 294
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

WWDC has never seen a huge announcement. But it's fun to dream

G4, G5, at least one powerbook update. I wouldn't be surprised to see an hd powerbook, but anything beyond that is doubtful.
  • Reply 102 of 294
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    In fact, it makes little sense to update everything at once, because the announcements steal attention from each other.
  • Reply 103 of 294
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The iMac was first shown at WWDC.

And yes, there's likely only going to be one major product announcement.

I have no idea what, though.
  • Reply 104 of 294
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    no

onward....
  • Reply 105 of 294
    silvergunsilvergun Posts: 62member
    As the sequel to Tiger is about 2 years out, it's pretty safe to say that Tiger will get support for more than dual processors somewhere in that period. So it's highly likely that we will see these new machines between this upcoming wwdc and a year from now. Either way, it's not far off
  • Reply 106 of 294
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

iBooks will not get a G5 before the PowerBook does, and we are some way off that...

If you will read the following quaote from the post this thread started with, you will notice that I was hoping for a G5 in a Powrebook at the same time as the iBook. The Powerbook would be dual-core G5, while the consumer machines would be single.

"I'd say the consumer level goes to single G5 across the board, while Pro series goes to multi-core G5-quad for the PowerMac and dual for the PowerBook. And the Mini can bump up to 1.67 ghz G4 to keep prices low and Freescale in business."

Anyway, this thread is not meant to be taken too seriously. I do believe that this is possible to do, especially with Apple wanting to keep up the market share growth-i think they would want to show the world they can aome out with the good stuff on time.

Like another said-It is at least a good dream. If this does not happen, no biggie as it lmost definitely will not.

I do remember rumor earlier this year about Powrebooks and iBooks BOTH being ordered from Apple to be built by Asus. I guess only time (a LOT of it, unfortunately) will tell.

I might as well just say it. I am hoping BIG TIME for a G5 PB. If not, a quad-core Powremac would do just fine.
  • Reply 107 of 294
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

A redesigned iBook seems most likely to me because (1) it needs a Core Image supported graphics card, (2) the current design is four years old as of May 1st, and (3) this is the "year of HD".

Things I expect to see:

1. Widescreen

2. 64MB graphics card (at the very least a BTO option on high-end)

3. Higher screen resolution

4. Audio in

5. 512MB RAM (2/256, still 1.25GB max RAM)

6. Case still iPod white, but maybe color accented

7. Built-In Blue Tooth

8. High-end can get a 5400RPM hard drive

9. faster CPUs (1.33GHz and 1.5GHz)

10. Better battery life

Things I expect not to see

1. FireWire 800

2. DVI out/mini DVI out

3. Closed lid operation

4. Gigabit ethernet

5. Base hard drives are 4200RPM

6. faster bus and memory speed

7. SATA hard drives (PowerBooks will get them first)

8. Hard drives larger than 80GB

On the software side I would like to see the spreadsheet and database applications that will be part of iWork. If, as I believe, they are dependent on 10.4.x then Steve can intoduce them to the developers. The new iWork can be priced at $99.00 and the people that already purchased iWork can buy the two new applications for $20.00. To make sure someone does not just buy the two new apps for $20.00 either Keynote 2 or Pages has to be already installed.
  • Reply 108 of 294
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    That's some solid speculation, troberts.

The problem with a change in iBook form factor is that Apple's being constrained by their education sales.

When you're selling a notebook to schools in the tens of thousands, you're committed to support that form factor, including batteries and other accessories, for a number of years.

Apple would then have to support at least two sets of consumer portables if they changed the form factor. That's the reason for the long delay.

With regards to iWork, I hope the lackluster sales have shown Apple that the spreadsheet needs to come sooner than later. But I can't imagine Apple changing the suite, which would mean new packaging and a disc recall - till the fall.

iWork '05 was, after all, only introduced in January.
  • Reply 109 of 294
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Let's not forget the iPhone which will almost certainly be introduced at WWDC... I just hope it is more interesting and innovative than just a standard Moto phone running a mobile version of iTunes. \
  • Reply 110 of 294
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

Let's not forget the iPhone which will almost certainly be introduced at WWDC... I just hope it is more interesting and innovative than just a standard Moto phone running a mobile version of iTunes. \

And lets hope it has a G5 or apple is doomed!
  • Reply 111 of 294
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

The problem with a change in iBook form factor is that Apple's being constrained by their education sales.

When you're selling a notebook to schools in the tens of thousands, you're committed to support that form factor, including batteries and other accessories, for a number of years.

Apple would then have to support at least two sets of consumer portables if they changed the form factor. That's the reason for the long delay.

Um, so you think Apple can never revise the iBook design just because they've sold a bunch to schools, or you think Apple must stop selling to schools before they can revise the iBook? Neither makes sense to me. Why are schools any different than the hundreds of thousands of other customers who will just have to grin and bear it when their iBooks become the "previous" models?

I think the reason for the long delay is that iBooks have been selling well as they are, so Apple has had plenty of time to come up with a great new design. Four years is pretty long to go without a change, though. That's why I think it'll happen soon; probably at WWDC.
  • Reply 112 of 294
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

That's some solid speculation, troberts.

I think troberts is only referring to the 14" model becoming widescreen; it hasn't been a big seller. At the 12" size, widescreen displays are too height-constrained to be of much use.

If they don't change the 14" to widescreen, at least they ought to increase the resolution.

But there's no reason to wait for WWDC to release such a rev. It could come out any day now.
  • Reply 113 of 294
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I think troberts is only referring to the 14" model becoming widescreen; it hasn't been a big seller. At the 12" size, widescreen displays are too height-constrained to be of much use.

If they don't change the 14" to widescreen, at least they ought to increase the resolution.

But there's no reason to wait for WWDC to release such a rev. It could come out any day now.

I agree, if it's just a resolution bump, it might come out next Tuesday.

But if there's going to be a whole new shape to the 14" iBook, this close to WWDC I think Apple would wait so that Steve Jobs could show it off in his keynote.

Personally, I think if one size if revised, both will be, or one will be discontinued, followed shortly by the 12" PowerBook going to 13" wide screen. I fully expect all Apple portables to be wide screen by the end of the year and am surprised it hasn't happened already.
  • Reply 114 of 294
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Dual dual-core X-station & 40" LCD
  • Reply 115 of 294
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I wouldn't be surprised if WebObjects 6 gets announced with some updates to Xserve, Xserve RAID, Xsan and some other Enterprise Tools/Hardware.
  • Reply 116 of 294
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    i'm betting on livingroom-centric anouncements. ihome, video download, ipod docs on the device, etc. maybe even the device will have some kind of cell variant... it seems with the potential of the XBox, Apples time to move is now.
  • Reply 117 of 294
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

To correct you, it was first shown to the Public at WWDC.

All Apple employees got to see it at DeAnza College. She was quite a shocker for the time being.

Everyone was wanting to ditch some of their old PPC systems for one on their desk.
  • Reply 118 of 294
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

i'm betting on livingroom-centric anouncements. ihome, video download, ipod docs on the device, etc. maybe even the device will have some kind of cell variant... it seems with the potential of the XBox, Apples time to move is now.

Remember that the X-Box won't ship till Christmas and any additional home centric gizmoids are unlikely to be working properly until mid 2006. A San Francisco announcement of the home orientated variety makes much more sense for APPL
  • Reply 119 of 294
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Also If you remember correctly when Apple announced OS X the first time they had an enormous amount of BUZZ generated around OS X, and everybody was talking X. Then Microsoft's little gaming announcement wasn't that impressive in the minds of anyone compared to PS2, and they went, and announced they were naming it the X-BOX (putting that big M$ "X"- BUZZ word out there), and it totally shifted all Apples BUZZ their way. M$ totally stole Apples OS X BUZZ with the X-BOX, and Apple can do the same in reverse this time around if they get to work, and come up with a really cool home media center with iTunes integration, and any number of Apple utilities, and features.

But considering gaming is such a huge industry, and everybody is going to be buying, Apple would be naive to try to go head to head with console gaming without games integration.

They would have to make it the real digital hub with some kind of connection that links up to the M$ 360º device, or even better. All 3 gaming devices. Other options is to partner up with one of the 3 (= 2 not nintendo) And have an exclusive deal with iTMS included that would boost that particular device into the lead category. Now that M$ has shown their hand Apple could team up with sony, and link to their device, or both, and have the real media hub for the home. I know XBOX it's supposed to run with windows Media Center, or something, but you never know. Apple could try and partner up with all 3.

I'd like to see them partner with M$, but I think they (M$) are going to try and monopolize the XP media center thing, around the 360º. If M$ did give Apple an nod in to the 360º with such a device it would hardly hurt M$. Apple could pay some licensing, and M$ wouldn't look like a monopolist, It could still work with the XP media center too. Then Again M$ has shown their hand which could give Apple, and Sony much needed extra time to structure a PS3 / iHome network configuration that would knock the socks off the XBOX and put Sony as far ahead of the XBOX again as they were in year one.

Random thoughts on how Apple could take advantage of the new gaming consoles, and generate an enormous amount of BUZZ, and money for them self's again this X-MAS, and in the following year.

[edit] Probably should have put this in another thread.
  • Reply 120 of 294
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    What if both the 12- and 14-inch iBooks are replaced by a 14-inch HD widescreen iBook, available in two configurations.

First Configuration:

1.33GHz PowerPC G4

512 MB RAM

60 GB HD

Combo Drive

64 MB Graphics

$1,099

Second Configuration:

1.42GHz PowerPC G4

512 MB RAM

80 GB HD

8x Dual Layer SuperDrive

128 MB Graphics

$1,399

The 12-inch would then be exclusive to the pro line and would receive a face lift at the Paris Expo along with the rest of the PowerBook line.