problems w/ tiger?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i dont have tiger yet, but my borther got it for his machine and was telling me about how he spent a weekend getting all the problems fixed and uploaded his stuff... b/c he did the fresh install rather then the upgrade, but he was telling me that one of the problems he had was w/ email.. and how he had problems fixing that. and then i think there were others that i dont remember off hand.. was about a week or so ago...

anyone else have problem w/ tiger??? i havnt bought it yet, and im soo excited that i cant wait til i do

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I got Tiger and my battery life went from 4.5 hours using Safari and iTunes to barely 2 hours using only Safari. Also, Virex was causing my CPU to run at 98%. I figured Virex was the problem so I deleted Virex and all of it's supporting files/folders and now my CPU is working normally, but my battery life is still at 2 hours.

The only other problem I have had is with Mail. I got an email with eleven jpg attachments and only seven of them were shown in the slide show. When I tried to save them to iPhoto using the save button the seven pictures that were shown in the slide show were the only ones that got saved.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hmm wow... thats a drastic life spand shortage.. i get about 4 hrs give or take on my PB, so when i get tiger, i wont install onto here, thanks however ill prolly install it ontoo my imac when i get it.. hopefully by the time i get around to buying tiger, all the kinks will be fixed so it wont be too headsaching to install and fix the problems it seems to be having.. thanks for the post..

now atleast a lot of people know for sure its not just a computer having trrouble running tiger... hope apple revises and fixes these problems soon... im sure they'll be coming out w/ updates for tiger, question is when...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I've gotten 3 kernal panics in 3 days. One more and I'm gonna go back to Panther until 10.4.1 comes out.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Tiger is smooth as a kittens purr for me.... 14 days uptime.....

imac G5 20"
  • Reply 5 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'm experiancing technical difficulties. Tiger ran O.K. (sluggish, but O.K.) until I finally powered down my machine last night. Now I'm in a heap of sh*t. I can log in but aftet that it's dead. All I see is my desktop picture, a search icon in the upper right corner that gives me a spinning beachball if I put my mouse up there. No dock, no menubar, no nothing. It was like that when I went to work this morning, and I came home about 10 hours later, and it was still the same. Nothing. I used disc utility on it to repair permissions, and did disk repairs, but it said everything was fine. twice each. I really need to get back on that Hard Drive.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

Tiger is smooth as a kittens purr for me.... 14 days uptime.....

imac G5 20"

how were you able to have it clean as silk, when everyone else is having problems? both my brother and i have imacs G5 20"

clearly outlandish... are you from the twilight zone?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I'm experiancing technical difficulties. Tiger ran O.K. (sluggish, but O.K.) until I finally powered down my machine last night. Now I'm in a heap of sh*t. I can log in but aftet that it's dead. All I see is my desktop picture, a search icon in the upper right corner that gives me a spinning beachball if I put my mouse up there. No dock, no menubar, no nothing. It was like that when I went to work this morning, and I came home about 10 hours later, and it was still the same. Nothing. I used disc utility on it to repair permissions, and did disk repairs, but it said everything was fine. twice each. I really need to get back on that Hard Drive.

ouch, thats no good, did you try rebooting it again? i know if my imac freezes... or i get that multi-colored spinny wheel like object thing, i reboot and everythings fine..
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

how were you able to have it clean as silk, when everyone else is having problems? both my brother and i have imacs G5 20"

no I am from this world smartass, and i am at 15 days and counting.... too bad for you, you must be a fuck up or PEBKAC or something. My sons QS 867 has been fine and so has my daughters eMac.

sorry for your problems. must be tough being you..
  • Reply 9 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i was really worried about my emails because everyone was saying how all their stuff got deleted, but all my IMAP and POP accounts are excatly like they were before the upgrade (clean install)
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

no I am from this world smartass, and i am at 15 days and counting.... too bad for you, you must be a fuck up or PEBKAC or something. My sons QS 867 has been fine and so has my daughters eMac.

sorry for your problems. must be tough being you..

too bad i havnt gotten around to getting tiger as of yet.. therefore, theres no toughness or anything.... so yea...8)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    whiterabbitwhiterabbit Posts: 208member
    Quote:

I think it's pretty unlikely that there will be problems. Some people have them, but it's not that likely. Anyway there was just that update 10.4.1 which fixes almost all known problems with Tiger.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    nifty.. ill remember to do it when i install it on my machine
  • Reply 13 of 15
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Well, I'd expect that Tiger will work best with Apple's most recent hardware offereings.

I ended of calling tech support and apparantly my problem with kernal panics is perhaps do to the fact I'm running the OS off an external FW drive. So I'm going to clean up one of my internal drives and give that a shot.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    sounds like a good idea, go for it, let me know how it works.. im interested in enhancing my knowledge and learning from others
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Is it just my Mac's or does Yahoo chat not work on Safari for anyone? If Java is supposed to be cross-platform and Safari has java included, then why won't Yahoo Chat work? I'm using 10.4.2 and a 20" iMac. You'd think that something as simple as Yahoo chat would be working by now. I have submitted several bug reports and I doubt I'm the only one to send them in. Any word on when Safari will actually function properly for Yahoo Chat?