Updated PowerMac before end fo July?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys, I was wondering if you thought the G5s will be updated before the end of July. If so, do you think they will have dual cores? Do you think they will have Dual 3ghz processors?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Not July. Sometime in the September-November timeframe. Dual cores, 3 GHz, and enough RAM to make a horse envious.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Agent Macintosh

Hey guys, I was wondering if you thought the G5s will be updated before the end of July. If so, do you think they will have dual cores? Do you think they will have Dual 3ghz processors?

Do you have any idea how pissed off this would make all users who just bought the newest Macs? As JYD said you're looking Oct/Nov at the very earliest.

At 2.7GHz the Powermac is right where it should be. Steve Jobs should have NEVER guaranteed 3Ghz. I bet he won't do it again. The nuerosis he's caused with that statement if amazing.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Do you have any idea how pissed off this would make all users who just bought the newest Macs? As JYD said you're looking Oct/Nov at the very earliest.

It would be depressing, but I probably would not be pissed. i am enjoying my dual 2.0 GHz system that was finally delivered this past Wednesday. I do not think they will come out with anything for another 9 months to a year, though. Apple probably isn't too keen on instantly depreciating the systems that were just purchased over the past couple of weeks.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You forgot the two obvious answers. Plain Yes, and No. Too many options, and no real way to answer because your limited to the answers you provided. Unless you think one of the options is correct.

I'll just say I don't think so.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I would have to say no, not until the end of the year, like JYD said. Makes the most sense. Ill be waiting patiently until then.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    There should have been an option for update between the end of july and january 2006: My own guess is that september/october or maybe november will introduce 3+ GHz/possible dual core upgrades.

If anyone thinks there will be an update before the end of july that is, mildly spoken, rather naive.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Power Apple

There should have been an option for update between the end of july and january 2006: My own guess is that september/october or maybe november will introduce 3+ GHz/possible dual core upgrades.

If anyone thinks there will be an update before the end of july that is, mildly spoken, rather naive.

It may depend on what counts as "updated PowerMac" - the announcement or the availability. A major announcement is more likely to happen on a major event. Apple could announce new PowerMac 2+ months before they are actually available only when the sales of the current models are very poor. I am afraid this is the case now.

There is still the possibility of a special event, though...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    the only shard of hope is a totaly new workstation class machine that the grapefine seems to keep brining back to life. MOSR, the cornerstone of reliable information that it is, mentioned WWDC as a possible venue to introduce such a machine. It seems to be very self serving to play on peoples fantasy this way, and to keep eyeballs on there pages. I for one would love to see such a workstation, and would be for it... but once again, I fall prey to naivety...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    What should a Workstation have circa 2006?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by shadow

It may depend on what counts as "updated PowerMac" - the announcement or the availability. A major announcement is more likely to happen on a major event. Apple could announce new PowerMac 2+ months before they are actually available only when the sales of the current models are very poor. I am afraid this is the case now.

There is still the possibility of a special event, though...

Even so, I still don't believe in an announcement before the end of July. I would say late August at the earliest for an announcement and probably later (september/October). I see no reason why it could not happen at a special event, Apple no longer only announce new hardware at the conventions. But we shall see...

Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

I for one would love to see such a workstation, and would be for it... but once again, I fall prey to naivety...

Ah...but the hope is not naive, only the belief that it will happen....
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I'm still of the opinion that if Apple releases dual core 970MP based machines, in the relatively near future (june-August) that they will not be dual/duals (2 chips, 4 cores.

Look at the pricing in the PC world for dual core Opteron chips, the bottom end processor (dual core 1.8GHZ) is going for about $US 900 as we speak. Get yourself a couple of those and a decent motherboard ($500 + for the feature set of the Powermac Boards) and we are already looking at $US 2300 and we aren?t even close to a full computer yet....

Its not like apple is falling behind in the performance segment (except for the lame video cards they continue to ship), as most PC benchmarks show little to no performance increase for PCI Express (I know in the future things may be different, but you by a computer to use, not speculate with).

AMD is barely shipping Opteron 252 (2.6GHZ) parts as we speak and thier dual core option will top out at 2.2GHZ for the time being. Technically speaking the Opteron is a very close performer to the G5 on a clock to clock basis (expect in gaming and we know a lot of that is because of the lack of optimizations for graphics cards and OpenGL for the MAC)...

If apple gets over 2.6GHZ (or to 3.0GHZ) with a 970MP (with PCI Express in there for good measure) based part with their current pricing scheme they will have an extremely competitive workstation class box. Plus every rumor about the 970MP seems to say that this part is faster then the equivalent 970FX part on a clock per clock basis due to other internal improvements.

Now would I love to see a four core box? Definitely, but I honestly don't think we will see that for at least a year...

Take care....
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    my concern about performance vs. intel comes from some recent benchmarks that pcmag did, showing the dual core intel/amd chips TROUNCING the high end P4's in content creation (aka photoshop/video). Since we only did OK against the older single core chips, at say the chips are stacked against us a bit this time around.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

my concern about performance vs. intel comes from some recent benchmarks that pcmag did, showing the dual core intel/amd chips TROUNCING the high end P4's in content creation (aka photoshop/video). Since we only did OK against the older single core chips, at say the chips are stacked against us a bit this time around.

We only did ok because the tests are skewered towards one fast proc completing a series of tasks on one app.

A DP system with slower clocked microprocessors isn't going to show its quality until you load the system down with a bunch of apps running. P4 don't multitask as well and frankly multitasking is how we use our computers. They are just now entering the fray with DC computers so soon we'll see how all the computers stack up together.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    I think there are some other factors to be considered.

I. We have facts:

1. Apple shipped to developers CHUD tools which explicitly reference dual-core configurations in February.

2. IBM slipped a PDF regarding heat control of the 970MP (first official mention of the chip) about the same time.

II. We have rumors (from ThinkSecret as well) that the chip should be available in the second half of the year.

III. We have announcements (and shipments!) from Intel and AMD of dual core chips.

IV. We have announcement from Microsoft for a product utilizing triple-core PowerPC based system at 3.2 GHz before Christmas.

And one assumption:

V. Apple will announce a dual-core mac as soon as IBM announces dual-core G5 processor even if other parts of the system are holding the release and we have to wait 3+ months for the actual release.

Based on the above (assuming V is correct) there is no way Apple (IBM) will announce dual-core G5s in January 2006 or later! We will see dual-core G5 this year. End of July could be a bit early though.

Edit: changed "IBM announces dual-core processor" to "IBM announces dual-core G5 processor", they have dual-core Power 4 for years!