23" iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that Steve has given us a modestly improved iMac , it's time at the June Expo to give us a truly new generation iMac. Prices of 23" monitors have fallen and Apple can afford to give us a 23" iMac that's still reasonably priced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Well, THAT was a constructive thread!

IBL (Am i allowed to say that?)

Have you ever sitten in front of a 20" iMac? Believe me, its MASSIVE.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    A 30" display is unreal, but people still buy and use them, even 2! I think a 23" iMac would sell. Some people really want the screen releaste for things like Garageband, Photoshop, etc. and since you can't nativley extend your desktop onto a secondary display, it is another bonus.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    if the 23"was indeed put in an iMac, which would make it stupidly big, it would bring HD res with it, which would tie in with Job's "year of HD" statment.

So may-be it will happen. And if it did I would buy one!
  • Reply 4 of 32
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think buying a 23-inch all in one is a bad idea at a price that Apple would probably charge for it. If it were $1,299, I might be inclined to say okay, go for it, but Apple would probably charge $2,199, making it the stupidest investment one could make.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Matsu already started a discussion here .

and yes, there is a market for a 23" iMacG5, the 20" is great, the 23" would be perfect
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Well, THAT was a constructive thread!

IBL (Am i allowed to say that?)

Have you ever sitten in front of a 20" iMac? Believe me, its MASSIVE.

As downloadable film and TV content increases then the iMac could replace the TV for many users.

My TV is 28" and my iMac which I use infinitely more is far smaller.

Actually as home consoles are soon to be fully fledged wireless, downloading hubs perhaps the iMac won't be so necessary for this kind of function. You'll just need your TV after all.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    i hope not.. the last imac looked pretty ridiculous with such a big screen.. this one would look even worse. plus, it'd probably drag down powermac sales even more.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by i want a powerbook

i hope not.. the last imac looked pretty ridiculous with such a big screen.. this one would look even worse. plus, it'd probably drag down powermac sales even more.

No iMac had a 23 inch display. Drag down PM sales? If people would rather have a 23" iMac then give them what they want. I would like a 17 inch iMac 2Ghz G5 with video out to dual up with my current display.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    What a waste.

The display would still be good to go, but the computer would be outdated garbage. Nobody in their right minds would buy a 30" display with an obsolete motherboard attached to it.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Nobody in their right minds would buy a 30" display with an obsolete motherboard attached to it.

If I am not mistaken, the discussion is about a 23" display .
  • Reply 11 of 32
    a 23" iMac would be nice.. but then i would feel like i would have to buy it and sell my present iMac... hmm... even if they did, i'd live.. besides, i could always hook my PB up to the iMac and sit it next to the imac.. that would give me some screen space
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Surely wouldn't it be better to have a G5 cube with all the functionality of the iMac and then a separate Apple 23inch screen?

Then you wouldn't be wasting all that money on the screen when it comes time to replace. Also, since the Cube would be cheaper, you can upgrade more frequently and Apple wouldmake more money.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I think AIO's as niche computers anyway. The bigger the display, the more ridiculous it gets. I kinda understood the 20" (not the price people are paying for it though), and of course at the time the 20" came out they had nothing else they could upgrade on the iMacs.

I wouldn't recommend a 23" iMac for anyone, for any purpose. It's the desktop equivalent of a HMMVV at a supermarket parking lot. It works, but why bother when anything else at the same price and a lot lower fits the bill better?

The only exception would be if it had good video in functionality so you could plug other computers/tuners/players/consoles into it, removing the concern that the computer goes old and the good display has to go with it.

Whether or not they get such functionality in there, they should hurry up with the headless equivalent.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I think a 23" iMac might get a tad too heavy.

I'd much rather carry a much lighter 23" Cinema Display and attach it to a new G5 powered mini mac

However one benefit of a larger iMac screen is that the "chin" would seem to appear smaller.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

No iMac had a 23 inch display. Drag down PM sales? If people would rather have a 23" iMac then give them what they want. I would like a 17 inch iMac 2Ghz G5 with video out to dual up with my current display.

Apple is a business... they don't always just give people what they want. They have higher profit margins with Powermacs and Displays than the all-in-one iMacs.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    it seems a little hard to understand for people that apple doesn't care about the upgradability of their products, except for memory. they don't want you to buy a 20" screen and sit on it for the next 10 years or a tower that you use for 7 years because it was f8cking expensive.

they want to sell you a system every 3 years.

higher margins or higher sales, it doesn't mather that much. but with 5 billion at hand, marketchair and userbase is more important for apple than higher margins.

apple is very serious about this hd nonsense, so it is just a mather of time before apple introduces its 23" iMac, to push their ideas in to the livingroom. that a lot of graphicdesigners and studio's will love it is a lucky coincidence. apple rather sales a 23" iMacG5 now and in 4 years another one than a G5tower that will be used with an old 22" Lacie screen and won't be replaced for another 6 years because it has more than enough oomph.

go 23"iMacG5.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    If there was a 23" HD iMac I'd buy it tomorrow.

But there isn't...

Which is good news for my bank manager and bad news for the credit card company.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    To assess whether a 23" is likely one would need to know the proportion of 20" iMacs against the 17" version. Does anyone know what share of sales the 20" is?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jootec from Mars

Surely wouldn't it be better to have a G5 cube with all the functionality of the iMac and then a separate Apple 23inch screen?

Then you wouldn't be wasting all that money on the screen when it comes time to replace. Also, since the Cube would be cheaper, you can upgrade more frequently and Apple wouldmake more money.

Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

Apple is a business... they don't always just give people what they want. They have higher profit margins with Powermacs and Displays than the all-in-one iMacs.

The G5 Cube is a great idea as an alternative to a 23" iMac. Just don't bring the Cube baggage call it the G5mini.

If apple just went for only margin products then iTunes and iPod would not be here. Then apple would be anemic like before the return of Jobs.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

The G5 Cube is a great idea as an alternative to a 23" iMac. Just don't bring the Cube baggage call it the G5mini.

great, two external powerbricks on your desk. that's progress.

a G5 cube is an alternative to the G5tower.