Things STILL not fixed in Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I had hoped that in Tiger Apple would fix some annoying glitches that were in previous versions of Mac OS X, more specifically ones that were introduced in Panther, but sadly there's still a number of them there. For example:

1. Finder still can't properly zoom-to-fit when in icon view. It tends to fit to the icons too tightly and leaves a small amount to scroll.

2. Once and awhile the settings on my secondary monitor get changed after a boot-up, like my desktop picture goes back to one I had previously chosen, or the Calibration settings disappear and I have to do it again.

Anyone experience other glitches that have persisted across OS versions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    2) this means that the finder did not get a chance to write out its preference file before shutting down. usually this means that either the computer crashed, you pulled the plug, or you are running out of disk space.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    my brother noticed a handful of headaches, but one he mentioned and that i remembered is that his email was giving him problems that he had to fix
  • Reply 3 of 29
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

2) this means that the finder did not get a chance to write out its preference file before shutting down. usually this means that either the computer crashed, you pulled the plug, or you are running out of disk space.

That's what I thought too, but I've noticed it happening after a successful shutdown or reboot.

I have about 16GB free so it's not disk space.

I've seen this on several different macs (different models).
  • Reply 4 of 29
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Safari still doesn't warn you before closing a window full of tabs.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    In Activity Monitor, under the Network tab, the Data sent/received gets reset randomly. I have Activity running all the time and the computer running all the time (no sleep) and yet it gets reset to zero randomly.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

That's what I thought too, but I've noticed it happening after a successful shutdown or reboot.

I have about 16GB free so it's not disk space.

I've seen this on several different macs (different models).

i don't think i've ever had that problem with my external monitor in any version of os x. that's odd.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Or minimised windows. That one really bugs me.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    We still get a beachball when selecting a big .avi ou .m2v movie in the finder set in column view.

Yet, several serious people on arstechnica said this wasn't the case in tiger, but I'm afraid it is.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by french macuser

We still get a beachball when selecting a big .avi ou .m2v movie in the finder set in column view.

Yet, several serious people on arstechnica said this wasn't the case in tiger, but I'm afraid it is.

Sorry I'm going to side with the Ars guys here. No beachball at all here and the movie appears pretty darn fast.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Sorry I'm going to side with the Ars guys here. No beachball at all here and the movie appears pretty darn fast.

Depends on the machine. I get it on mine. \
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

Depends on the machine. I get it on mine. \

On my machine (G5 1.8) the movie shows up less than a second after I click on it.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    What the ars guys said it that you can still use the finder when one window is processing a movie preview. It's wrong.

And did you try some meg-2 videos ? They are a lot worse than .avi ones.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    copy/pasting in finder using apple-c apple-v doesn't work. Icon spacing cannot be set.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

On my machine (G5 1.8) the movie shows up less than a second after I click on it.

Try a 600+ Mb avi movie.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    My big problem with 10.4 (and I've tried formatting and reinstalling) is that Safari refuses to remember window positions 90% of the time. One in ten times it will save the window location but every other time it opens justified to the right-bottom corner. Very weird and VERY annoying to someone as picky as me.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Try a 600+ Mb avi movie.

AVI Movie Size: 1.5 GB

Seconds until the preview shows up in Column View: 2

The feeling that your on a Mac: priceless
  • Reply 17 of 29
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Well, a 500 Mb AVI (MPEG-4) beachballed on me for about 8-10 seconds.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by french macuser

What the ars guys said it that you can still use the finder when one window is processing a movie preview. It's wrong.

And did you try some meg-2 videos ? They are a lot worse than .avi ones.

AVI of any size seems fine. Can't test mpeg-2 because I don't actually have any. I may fix that a little later for you if I have the time.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Do Desktop ICON still get placed under the dock? Also, do all applications now "respect the dock" not go under them.

Also, if you have too many desktop items on the desktop in ICON mode, does it just pile them on top of each other (as it does now) or does it scale the ICONS down to get them all to fit?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

http://pimpmysafari.com/

what you're looking for has existed for quite some time - i agree that it should be a native option. but if you take the time to look for it, you'll find what you want on that site.