F-Keys on the iBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I was taking a look at some iBooks in a computer store yesterday. While trying out the keyboards, I noticed that the Function keys a bit odd, in that the volume, numlock, eject and other what I'd call secondary function keys worked without using the Fn. This is the opposite to PC laptops I've used in the past.

I didn't think to check at the time, but does this mean that say for example the Expose keys would require you to hold Fn while pressing them?

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You can toggle this behaviour in the Keyboard Preferences Pane.

To answer your question, thoguh, no, you don't need to hold fn while using Exposé, as those keys (F9 through F12) don't have a laptop function, at least not on the iBook. (I'm not entirely sure about PowerBooks, they have more keyboard features.)
  • Reply 2 of 19
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    The only use for fn, that I know of, is to replicate the forward Delete button (i.e., not Backspace) by pressing fn+Delete.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

The only use for fn, that I know of, is to replicate the forward Delete button (i.e., not Backspace) by pressing fn+Delete.

Uh.

fn

1) turns Return into Enter

2) swaps between F keys and laptop functionality (e.g. brightness, sound volume)

3) turns the keys below 7, 8 and 9 into a numeric keypad

and does more that I would remember if I was in front of a laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Interesting... I guess I've never had the need for any of that stuff, so I never investigated it.

One question: what's the difference between Return and Enter?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    uncharteduncharted Posts: 24member
    Thanks for the info :-)
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

One question: what's the difference between Return and Enter?

There's few programs that make use of the difference, so it's rather subtle.

For example, in Excel, Return will submit a value and proceed to the next row, whereas Enter will only submit (enter) the value.

Or in Adium, you can set it so that Return will enter a linebreak so you can enter a message with multiple paragraphs, and only Enter will send it off.

Etc.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I can press F9, F10, F11 for Expose functionality without needing to press the fn key, but to activate Dashboard I have to press the fn key in addition to the F12 key. Is this the way it should be or does my iBook have a glitch?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

I can press F9, F10, F11 for Expose functionality without needing to press the fn key, but to activate Dashboard I have to press the fn key in addition to the F12 key. Is this the way it should be or does my iBook have a glitch?

It's an oversight on Apple's part. When you hold the F12 key for at least a second, it works as the optical drive's eject button. When you tap F12 shortly, it's supposed to do whatever F12 is assigned to do, however, this does not work with Dashboard.

What I do is reassign Dashboard from F12 to F8, which works fine.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

What I do is reassign Dashboard from F12 to F8, which works fine.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    t-bonet-bone Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Uh.

fn

1) turns Return into Enter

2) swaps between F keys and laptop functionality (e.g. brightness, sound volume)

3) turns the keys below 7, 8 and 9 into a numeric keypad

and does more that I would remember if I was in front of a laptop.

A few more, at least on an Al PowerBook:

fn

1) Up arrow = page up

2) Down arrow = page down

3) Right arrow = end

4) Left arrow = home
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Right, those apply on the iBook too.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    For the function keys (On my Powerbook) on F9 and F10 I have to hit function in order for them to do their Expose functions properly otherwise it accounts for the keyboard illunmination. I don't mind doing that (F11 can be done with and without the function key) but I wonder if there will be problems of me getting used to using a keyboard and hitting Function for the key when I don't have to. I don't use it much though.

If I were to get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, would the function keys be overwritten for what they are on the mac? Mean this, if I hit F9 on the full size bluetooth Apple keyboard, will it do its expose thing or will it change the light of the Powerbook keyboard?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Here's a full list of the keyboard functions - for the PowerBook but applies to the iBook as well.

• Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

You can toggle this behaviour in the Keyboard Preferences Pane.

To answer your question, thoguh, no, you don't need to hold fn while using Exposé, as those keys (F9 through F12) don't have a laptop function, at least not on the iBook. (I'm not entirely sure about PowerBooks, they have more keyboard features.)

When I replied to this topic, I didn't see this post. messing around the computer I realized this action works, as well.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    In the diagrams I posted above what's the windows key for?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

In the diagrams I posted above what's the windows key for?

You've confused me with your own question. ha. Um, windows equivalents I guess for USB keyboards.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

You've confused me with your own question. ha. Um, windows equivalents I guess for USB keyboards.

there's no fn on USB keyboards
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Where'd you get those images from? Maybe mac keyboards magically turn into the windows portion at the bottom when the function key is pressed down.... it's a conspiracy!!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

Where'd you get those images from? Maybe mac keyboards magically turn into the windows portion at the bottom when the function key is pressed down.... it's a conspiracy!!

If you follow the link you'll see they come from the Apple Developers Website