Tiger: Most unstable OS X to date?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    dr. zoidbergdr. zoidberg Posts: 155member
    i repeatingly had kernel panics after doing a clean install of tiger on a powerbook 17" 1.33 ghz. after overcoming my initial frustration, i changed some energy saver settings:

- set processor performance to "highest"

- disabled automatical dimming and brightness reduction of the screen

and now everything seems to run fine for a couple of hours. now i can´t really tell if it´s actually related, but i seem to recall that i did the same thing to stablilize a flaky earlier version of os x ...
  • Reply 42 of 58
    bsodmikebsodmike Posts: 63member
    I just tried your suggesion after it froze again...

As I was visting apple.com/trailers in firefox I wanted to see the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy trailer so I loaded up the page, clicked on large and when the QT thing said click to play....FREEEZE!

Console has NO log of this...grrr...

Trying your suggestion of setting performance to highest.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    tmantman Posts: 66member
    Still...I feel that Apple should have held off the release date and ironed out these issues.

Issues that affect CORE FUNCTIONALITY should have been addressed.

Or maybe you could have had the sense to wait until 10.4.1 or better yet .2 was released. I'm sure somebody from the Apple store or CompUSA had a gun to your head saying "upgrade or die." Everybody's a victim.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    tman: I was hoping that by moving to Tiger I could get rid of the earlier kernel panics I was getting with Panther. Also I wanted to install the new 300GB boot hdd I got, and didn't really want to install Panther on the new drive when I could wait and install Tiger.

I'll manage for now, but really looking forward to the .1 patch.

Mike
  • Reply 45 of 58
    tmantman Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bsodmike

tman: I was hoping that by moving to Tiger I could get rid of the earlier kernel panics I was getting with Panther. Also I wanted to install the new 300GB boot hdd I got, and didn't really want to install Panther on the new drive when I could wait and install Tiger.

I'll manage for now, but really looking forward to the .1 patch.

Mike

And I'm still hoping I'll get taller and better looking. For what it's worth: never ever ever upgrade to .0 anything. At the very least, sit back and read the feedback first before upgrading if you can't control the urge. IMHO it's the same precautionary measure as backing up your data before upgrading. Otherwise you're walking into traffic with a blindfold on.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    Yea, lesson learned. Just that by the time we get to 10.4.9 I'll probably forget this lesson... just kidding
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Ohh boy!

After a one WEEK uptime...I thought I'd go watch a trailer. Now I realize what was the real culprit - QT as yet it froze up the machine!

See during the very first few hrs of installing tiger I was going to the QT HD page, and it was crashing alot...so I thought it was Safari.

So right now I'm staying away from this beast till it is fixed :/
  • Reply 48 of 58
    pbaker05pbaker05 Posts: 143member
    I just know this:

When I got Jaguar, I experienced spinning beachballs very often, even on small things like 'saves'.

Panther: rarely a beachball even on hard stuff

Tiger: Spinning beachball very often, even opening Safari and easy stuff.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    For me, Tiger itself is stable, but Safari 2.0 randomly crashes way too often. This is very annoying. Guess its time to get a nightly build of Camino.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tman

Or maybe you could have had the sense to wait until 10.4.1 or better yet .2 was released. I'm sure somebody from the Apple store or CompUSA had a gun to your head saying "upgrade or die." Everybody's a victim.

that's still a pretty lousy argument. i'm liking tiger on my powerbook but it definitely has some issues. there's always some danger from being an early adopter, but we have come to expect a certain level of competency from apple when it comes to their software. tiger seems to be falling short of that quality level and that's a legitimate concern.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    So far, so good here. Tiger has been very stable on my PM. I have not had any issues with it.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

So far, so good here. Tiger has been very stable on my PM. I have not had any issues with it.

Same here - Dual 800 with lots of RAM and a GeForce3. The machine is showing its age with the occasional beachball, but the HD trailers are gorgeous.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

OK, had my first problem today.

When I try to burn a burnable foldering on my iMac it gives me an error saying that my drive isn't supported.

I have a iMac G5 1.8GHz Superdrive and I did a clean install.

This is a BIG problem.

Same thing happened on my iBook G4 1.2GHz. iTunes and everything works, just not Finder. Download BurnX Free,w orks great. But, 10.4.1 fixes this. I have 10.4.1 8B15 installed, and Finder burning now works fine. The final should be released soon, and when it is, I would think it will fix it for you too.

My record uptime with Tiger is 5 days, 3:17. I am currently at 2 days, 4:05. I have had no problems keeping it on for long time. 10.4.1 really fixes a lot of stuff, so wait for that and pretty much all will be fixed.

I agree, Safari is buggy, and 10.4.1 doesn't seem to update. Current version is 2.0 (412), not sure if 10.4.0 has a lower ( ) build. Only thing I find wrong with it is that it seems to hang n some sites. It moves after 5-10 seconds, but some sites are instant. Also, not all sites are slow all the time. Soemtimes livepage.apple.com is instant, sometimes up to 20 seconds. But, it should all be fixed soon.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    coelhocoelho Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yeah, that;s what I did - but they are recommending *disconnecting you FW drive during installation - but you can't do that if you want to install onto it.

I installed Tiger on FW drive directly and experienced no mentioned problem so far. However, I do have two problems:

a) Tiger usually cannot properly shutdown, and I have forwarded my problem to APPLE dozen times (data access trapping as I could remember);

b) my Firefox (both 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 version) does not work. It gives me a blank screen with nothing to display. Yet, I can run Firefox nightly release with no such headache. The only thing bother me is that adblock does not work under nightly releases. So, Safari is my primary browser, which force me to deal with bunch of annoying ads.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coelho

I installed Tiger on FW drive directly and experienced no mentioned problem so far. However, I do have two problems:

a) Tiger usually cannot properly shutdown, and I have forwarded my problem to APPLE dozen times (data access trapping as I could remember);

b) my Firefox (both 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 version) does not work. It gives me a blank screen with nothing to display. Yet, I can run Firefox nightly release with no such headache. The only thing bother me is that adblock does not work under nightly releases. So, Safari is my primary browser, which force me to deal with bunch of annoying ads.

i've had firefox problems since panther, but they are very intermittent, so i've had a hard time figuring out what to do to fix matters. it seems, for me, to be very related to viewing pages with flash content - ANY flash content. 98% of the time, it'll be fine. but occasionally, it won't let me use the key command to generate a new tab, and sometimes, if i close a window showing flash content, i will not be able to generate a new window, even fromt he menu item. relaunching firefox fixes both problems.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    aussie johnaussie john Posts: 173member
    Regardless. It does seem like a hell of a coincidence having kernel Panics in panther and freezes in Tiger. also I dont notice too many other people saying that they are having freezes.

I'd check your hardware again. Maybe remove a stick of RAM and see what happens
  • Reply 57 of 58
    coelhocoelho Posts: 6member
    OK, after update to 10.4.1, I can shutdown my powerbook smoothly, and I can run adblock with my firefox. My concerns has been answered.

However, now I cannot run emacs 22.0.5, even though it worked under 10.4.0.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    plasmaplasma Posts: 74member
    i have similar issues on my PB; how do i run the hardware test?