any news on updated ibooks?...

Comments

• Reply 101 of 135
    fieldyfieldy Posts: 31member
    I agree about the GPU. My work PowerBook 15" Titanium finally gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. Was going to replace it with a fully tricked out iBook 12" but gave up waiting for an update and just got the 12" Powerbook instead. There wasn't really a great deal of difference in the price between the upgraded iBook and the Powerbook with more RAM. This way I've got a core graphics capable GPU and faster processor, can't wait.
  • Reply 102 of 135
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Good choice Fiedly
  • Reply 103 of 135
    when is WWDC?
  • Reply 104 of 135
    It starts June 5th for students... but the keynote is on June 6th
  • Reply 105 of 135
    thanks, i would just like an updated mini myself.
  • Reply 106 of 135
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    I'm in the market for a laptop as well.

Went to the Apple Store on Michican Avenue (worth a detour, BTW) in Chicago, checked out the 12" and 14" iBooks.

I plan on using it for "occasional" video editing with either FCE or FCP, and screensize was one of my concerns. I think now that after I've played with both, I can get away with the 12" iBook if I choose.

The whole refresh thing bugs me though. Nothing is worse than ordering a new Mac, and then one week later, seeing the new ones come out. My sentiment is to wait around a couple more weeks, perhaps after WWDC, and see if iBooks are refreshed.

If Apple's marketing people were really saavy, they'd have introduced new iBooks already, and pitched them as graduation presents. Apparently, they aren't interested in marketshare, though.
  • Reply 107 of 135
    jaycrjaycr Posts: 25member
    I've already ordered my iBook, despite the Video Card and having to pay to upgrade certain parts. I noticed today though that they've recalled certain iBook batteries running all the way to THIS MONTH. Not sure if this will have affected my notebook but I do believe this could have affected the updates that were supposed to happen at the end of April.

If this is true I don't have a clue when they might try and introduce an update to the line. No doubt they'll want to distance any possible anouncement from the recall one, and I still feel they'll want to distance it from WWDC. Not only because it's a pro show but also because they won't want some low end product updates muckin up their press releases for that week. Remember they did the same thing with the PowerBook updates in January, kept it away from Macworld.

Maybe mid-end June or post July 4th? Something that will still draw Students for the back to school season. That is, if they still introduce iBook updates before the fall at all...
  • Reply 108 of 135
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Hi,

on this page EMSnow there is some information on future screen size of the next iBook
  • Reply 109 of 135
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I've got an iBook G4 800MHz that I picked up about a year ago. I've been very happy with it. I only use it web browsing, office stuff, messaging, and stuff like that and it has suited me perfectly. It was also my first Mac. I've had PCs for twenty years and have always kept my desktop systems top of the line (currently Athlon 64 FX55, ATI x850). To be honest... my Mac is just "fun" to use... if that makes sense to anyone. I have both PC notebooks and my iBook. I use my PC notebooks just so I don't feel like I wasted my money (all of which are much more powerful than my iBook)... but the iBook is my favorite by far.

Something definately worth considering... there's more to the computing experience than just horsepower... the build quality on the iBook far surpasses anything in the PC market in the same price range (and form factor)... sure, you can get a chunky PC notebook in the 7-8lb range that's decently built for about a grand... but if you try to get a good PC notebook in the size of an iBook... you're looking at close to twice the price... and... in all likelyhood, it won't have a slot loading optical drive (I still don't get why more companies don't use slot loading drives in their notebooks). And, of course, OS X is just such a joy to use after a long day at the office with XP.
  • Reply 110 of 135
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

on this page EMSnow there is some information on future screen size of the next iBook

I am afraid that this is somewhat old news that few believe (I am not one of them).
  • Reply 111 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sam Damon

If Apple's marketing people were really saavy, they'd have introduced new iBooks already, and pitched them as graduation presents. Apparently, they aren't interested in marketshare, though.

I am not sure if your proposition makes sense from a marketing viewpoint. I mean, an update in the iBook line say last month would lead them at around 1.5 GHz. But with no Powerbook update for some months yet, probably not before this November, this would make the Powerbooks look like really overpriced underperforming pieces of boutique hardware. The price gap could not in any way be justified by the light differences between the two lines. I know that there are people interested in some features that only the Powerbook has, but for most the difference would be particularly slim and the Powerbook line would be hit even harder.

I am very interested to see what Apple has for the next updates of the notebook lines. They will perhaps wait so that the 7448 be available in volume before update the iBook. That way the Powerbook will have some really competitive (compared to the 7447A/B) processor to get, so moving the iBook up to 1.5 GHz would not be a problem.
  • Reply 112 of 135
    dutchboydutchboy Posts: 12member
    I have been patiently waiting but now the time has come. I am really hoping for the new iBook soon otherwise I will purchase the PB. So a new form factor iBook would be great!

I am eager to join the MAC family so announce so I can order.
  • Reply 113 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I am not sure if your proposition makes sense from a marketing viewpoint. I mean, an update in the iBook line say last month would lead them at around 1.5 GHz. But with no Powerbook update for some months yet, probably not before this November, this would make the Powerbooks look like really overpriced underperforming pieces of boutique hardware. The price gap could not in any way be justified by the light differences between the two lines. I know that there are people interested in some features that only the Powerbook has, but for most the difference would be particularly slim and the Powerbook line would be hit even harder.

I am very interested to see what Apple has for the next updates of the notebook lines. They will perhaps wait so that the 7448 be available in volume before update the iBook. That way the Powerbook will have some really competitive (compared to the 7447A/B) processor to get, so moving the iBook up to 1.5 GHz would not be a problem.

Remember there is a 1.42ghz 7447a/b ... so the ibook wouldn't exactly touch the powerbook speed, but damn it sure would be close! I think the biggest thing is a graphics card update. Throw a NVidia 5200 or ATI 9600 in the ibooks and they would sell better. They should also split the 14" / 12" more... maybe differen't resolutions or merge them into 1 13" ???

The iBook is definitely due for a new form factor... it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.
  • Reply 114 of 135
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    A 14" widescreen iBook and improved video card would fly off the shelves!

Although it would certainly creep into PB territory.

I'd love for the iBook to have the current specs of the PB with the new PB going G5 or whatever new processor they've come up with.
  • Reply 115 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Remember there is a 1.42ghz 7447a/b ... so the ibook wouldn't exactly touch the powerbook speed, but damn it sure would be close!

Yeah, that's exactly my point. It does no matter so much if it is 1.42 GHz or 1.5 GHz. The differences are pretty negligible.

Quote:

I think the biggest thing is a graphics card update. Throw a NVidia 5200 or ATI 9600 in the ibooks and they would sell better. They should also split the 14" / 12" more... maybe differen't resolutions or merge them into 1 13" ???

The iBook is definitely due for a new form factor... it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.

I believe that the next iBook will take the Geforce 5200. They need a Core Image ready chip for the iBook, and I doubt that they would go as far as to put a Radeon Mobility 9600, although the last iMac update suggests that this cannot be ruled out. New form factor? Hmm... This would be very interesting, given that the 14" iBook is perhaps the only notebook in its class featuring a 14" 1024 x 768 display.
  • Reply 116 of 135
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    I was under the impression that the 5200 couldn't run all tiggers pretty stuff properly?

I believe a new form factor is long overdue - I mean bring back all the pretty colours, this whole white deal is just getting boring. (I am aware of www.colorwarepc.com but that site is americanish, cant get in Australia)

Will think iBooks will get processor boost, graphics boost up to 9600, hopefull 64mb of ram, Would LOVE widesreen 14", and a few more connections. Oh yeah, maybe the world on a silver platter, and all for less money than I pay for the current one.
  • Reply 117 of 135
    dutchboydutchboy Posts: 12member
    If they update the iBooks within the next month I would be stoked! I have been waiting to order a 15" Powerbook because I wanted the updated Graphics card. If they update the graphics card on the iBook- I'm sold!

Dutch
  • Reply 118 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutchboy

If they update the iBooks within the next month I would be stoked! I have been waiting to order a 15" Powerbook because I wanted the updated Graphics card. If they update the graphics card on the iBook- I'm sold!

Dutch

That is my exact situation as well.
  • Reply 119 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

I was under the impression that the 5200 couldn't run all tiggers pretty stuff properly?

The 5200 is programmable, so it can run whatever Tiger asks for graphics, but it is the bare minimum for this task.
  • Reply 120 of 135
    I gave up guys, besides i don't even think they will update them becuase then ibooks would be to close to Powerbooks... My guess is Powerbooks and ibooks will both be updated in Paris in Sept or whenever it is....

I am going to call Apple now and order my Powerbook 12" screen 1.5 ghz and Superdrive...