Does anyone have an iMac G5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm thinking about buying one of the new ones. I'd like to wait until the next round of powerbooks come out, but if I'm not impressed about the update, I'll get an iMac.

How well does monitor spanning work on the iMacs? I've heard that a quick hack can allow the iMac to span, but is it just as good as spanning on a PowerMac or Powerbook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    i have an iMac G5, the one before the upgrade and im liking it great great machine the monitor is good.. havnt done any spanning w/ it.. its nice... i'd reccomend it.. i also have a powerbook, its an older one, i like that too.. but imac is better i think, as well as the screen
  • Reply 2 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    That's a lot of smilies, so I guess you do like it.

The one thing that turns me off about the iMac is that it doesn't have DVI output. I know I don't want a PowerMac, since I don't have that kind of desk space. A powerbook would be ideal, but the current spec is not particularly enticing.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

That's a lot of smilies, so I guess you do like it.

The one thing that turns me off about the iMac is that it doesn't have DVI output. I know I don't want a PowerMac, since I don't have that kind of desk space. A powerbook would be ideal, but the current spec is not particularly enticing.

you could always spec it up to what you like and yes, i do love my imac.. i also like my powebook nd i havnt needed a dvi output.. but i think theres a place for one? im not sure.. but good luck
  • Reply 4 of 11
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

you could always spec it up to what you like and yes, i do love my imac.. i also like my powebook nd i havnt needed a dvi output.. but i think theres a place for one? im not sure.. but good luck

Well, I like DVI outputs because I like monitors. The more the better.

As for the Powerbook, I had been in the habit of buying a new powerbook when one roughly twice as fast (CPU) as my current model debuted. Well, from Wallstreet to Mercury to 1GHz Ti it all made plenty of sense, and in pleasant, less-than-2 year increments. I had a PBG4 in feb 2001, and more than four years later I would expect something really cool. Well, in my eyes the AluBooks are a downgrade from the TiBooks as far as form factor, and the latest of the line aren't really up to date technologically speaking.

So, if I'm going to buy a powerbook, I want to wait until it's all-new. In my opinion, the TiBook is probably the coolest computer Apple has ever made. I want the replacement for my TiBook to at least be almost as cool.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sounds good... the Tibook? dunno if i've seen it yet.... also heard rumors and such that a G5 PB was coming out...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    TiBook was the previous generation of the powerbook .... it was a titanium enclosure rather than the current aluminum enclosure. but actually LOOKED almost identical.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

TiBook was the previous generation of the powerbook .... it was a titanium enclosure rather than the current aluminum enclosure. but actually LOOKED almost identical.

That was my favorite body style by far, I think the new the Alu's are fat looking and dent far to easy for my taste. When will apple come out with a new design, here's hoping for Carbon or something that has a little more strength to it instead of a tin can.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I was wondering when the 1.8ghz imac 20" came out. I know the newest ones are 2ghz. I believe the original G5's were 1.6Ghz
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

wow.. i must be dumb... b/c mypowerbook i got from my brother is about 4-5yrs old and titanium.. nice machine, its serving me well.. but ive been oblivious to the fact it was ever called Tibook rather then just powerbook\
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Apple never called it TiBook ... just us geeks
  • Reply 11 of 11
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Does anyone have an iMac G5?

No, nobody has an iMac G5.

OK I'm done now.