Current FCP users going to update to FCP 5?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have FCP 4.5 HD and DVD Studio Pro 3.

I am not sure what I am going to do. I may ride it out and see what people say about the new FCP (I am sure it will be good). If I update, I will go with FCP Studio.

One bummer is that I don't have a dual layer drive so I guess I would have to purchase an external drive if I wanted to do dual layer burning (would be nice).

So, what are you thoughts and plans, if any?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I'm waiting til 2006. nothing too great this year except HD compatibility. and i can't afford an HD camera.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

I'm waiting til 2006. nothing too great this year except HD compatibility. and i can't afford an HD camera.

Are you a hobbiest or do this for work?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Are you a hobbiest or do this for work?

i do this for work. nothing i do on my own even requires HD, so it's a non-issue. when i'm doing shows with big production houses, they foot the bills so they can decide what to do.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    Compared with FCP4 with the bundling of Soundtrack and Livetype, I share the view that this isn't a compelling update for non-pros (I'm not a pro) or anyone without up-to-date gear like a G5 or an HD camera. But I know that I tend to weaken on these things over time especially if I read some really positive reports from users in a month or so in which case I?d definitely go for studio rather than just the FCP update.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by houseley

Compared with FCP4 with the bundling of Soundtrack and Livetype, I share the view that this isn't a compelling update for non-pros (I'm not a pro) or anyone without up-to-date gear like a G5 or an HD camera. But I know that I tend to weaken on these things over time especially if I read some really positive reports from users in a month or so in which case I?d definitely go for studio rather than just the FCP update.

I am with you. I am a hobbiest for sure, unless you consider using a Sony Handy Cam for web promotional video's a pro , but over time, I tend to give in and get the latest and greatest. After hearing him talk about his magnificiant dual 2.5, I may buy me a dual machine in a few months.

The biggest appel to me is the network encode and the fact that I have bought bits and pieces and I could just upgrade to studio and get the "whole package". It just seems better in my head to get the "whole package" even though it makes no difference.

I have the Apple pro books that teach you how to use each program. However, I need to learn more about capturing correctly (video format specifically since I am borrowing my dad's video camera and don't know what format it does it's thing in) and encodeing for DVD's (you can encode the movie before you get to DVDSP????

I am pretty stupid when it comes to that stuff but I muddle through the best I can.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    My upgrade is on it's way. I'm wrapping up a week's work of multi-cam shooting and this upgrade can't arrive soon enough for me. I'm also excited about the new tighter integration with Soundtrack. Soundtrack looks to have a great feature set now - noise reduction, etc. I may be able to ditch ProTools finally.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    - j b 7 2 -- j b 7 2 - Posts: 201member
    I can see where going from FCP 4.5 alone to FCP 5 might now be that compelling. If you don't do multi-cam, use Cinema Tools, or HDV, it's not all that big a leap. Some cool small features, but nothing incredible in itself.

This is a great time to upgrade to the whole production bundle though. Soundtrack Pro looks amazing, even though it doesn't do 5.1 or export to OMF. Motion is coming into its own with 2.0, and I expect it to really start to take off.

I wish I would have ordered ahead. It doesn't look to be in stores until Friday.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

This is a great time to upgrade to the whole production bundle though. Soundtrack Pro looks amazing, even though it doesn't do 5.1 or export to OMF. Motion is coming into its own with 2.0, and I expect it to really start to take off.

Like you I am fully convinced that Studio is a great way to go from FCP 4.5 to all the other pro apps ? I couldn't afford them individually. Trouble is I only have a PowerBook G4 that won?t run Motion and it?s getting short on drive space too. On the other hand I do have a partner who makes lots of money and she seems keen to help me get a new Mac so I?m wondering if I should just stop being mean to her and let her do it.

\ Decisions. Decisions.