Upgrading Processors?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've got a G4 dual 450 processor. Does anyone know if it will be possible to upgrade the processors on this machine? Or will I just have to replace the computer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Well, if you really want to spend $600 or so, you can upgrade to a Dual 500.

• Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Well, if you really want to spend $600 or so, you can upgrade to a Dual 500.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I don't know if that's worth it or not. But how would I go about doing that? ie. what company provides the upgrade, do they have a website?

Still more importantly, does anyone know if it will be possible in the future to upgrade to more current speed processors?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    A. It's definately not worth it. However, if you send me the $600 I'll sing some chants that will boost your graphics performance by at least 23 %.

B. Sonnet makes a "Duet" card that features dual 500MHz G4's for an MSRP of $699.

C. No word on faster upgrades. All "news" of new upgrades seems to be pretty much user speculation.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    How could you even think about going from a dual 450 to a dual 500 for all the money? It's a total waste. Processor upgrades for Macs are such a waste of money.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>How could you even think about going from a dual 450 to a dual 500 for all the money? It's a total waste. Processor upgrades for Macs are such a waste of money.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not considering it. I just wanted to know how to go about it because I figure it's those companies who will know if they're planning on faster chip upgrades in the future.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    go to xlr8yourmac.com they have a lot of info on processor upgrades