Do Apple need a video game system?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With Microsoft and Sony both being companies that were into something else before video games, and both expected to make a lot of money with the new systems, do you think Apple will make one any time soon? Or do you think it would be to risky for them to get into that buisness. I think they should try, look at how much they made off the iPods, when nobody really had mp3 players before, and look at how Microsoft got into the video game industry pretty easily, even though they lost money with the XBOX? Do you think they would even consider making a system? Or a iGame or whatever they would call it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    They already did. It had some really nice features but was in the end a late-starter. There are a LOT of Pippin fansites out there, though.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Why cant people do a search???
  • Reply 3 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Why cant people do a search???

I'm usually a search-nazi myself, but a sixteen-year-old has no reason to assume that something he has no idea exists does. Why not make the rounds instead of the "how do I burn a cd..." threads.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    The gaming market is too expensive for Apple to get into. It also doesn't help that Apple has always had a reticent attitude towards gaming on Macs. It is definitely not a core competency.

Not only would an Apple gaming foray require the design of hardware(custom) but Apple would have to purchase a few gaming companies. Right now I think Apple has all that it can handle with making sure the iPod/iTunes connection maintains its dominance
  • Reply 5 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

The gaming market is too expensive for Apple to get into. It also doesn't help that Apple has always had a reticent attitude towards gaming on Macs. It is definitely not a core competency.

Not only would an Apple gaming foray require the design of hardware(custom) but Apple would have to purchase a few gaming companies. Right now I think Apple has all that it can handle with making sure the iPod/iTunes connection maintains its dominance

No kidding. How many games are developers going to port to a 7th paty gaming platform. As I see it games are made for (pretty much in this order) PS, XBOX, PC, GameCube, Gameboy, PSP, then Mac. There is not going to be any great urgency to port a game to a new propriatary format of Apples. Even if it was an OS X lite powered pippen 2005 box.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    They need to first focus on their gaming capabilities with current Apple hardware. Something they are apparently tackling now.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    It would be nice if Sony produced an Apple branded Playstation. Apple could add an OS X flavor to the interface and somehow integrate some kind of OS X functionality...

Integration with iLife and Quicktime (that includes iTunes).

Network services for the home, i.e. host an intranet or file server.

And my favourite... duty as an Xcode distributed node. When the Playstation isnt being used it patiently waits for distributed computing needs.

This would also help improve the perceived performance of a familys other macs. If Apple were to enable apps like iMovie and iDvd to take advantage of distributed computing it would be transparent to the home user, just a simple dialog box asking if they wish to distribute the build across their home network.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    The new XBox 360 is something Apple should have done.

It plays music/DVD's,games,XBox live (online chat or something).

If I buy a new dvd player, I would buy an xbox 360 as I could play my mp3's as well etc.

With Apples iPod and the whole home entertainment system waffle, I'm surprised that they don't have something like this.

Oh Yes. Microsoft lose money on EVERY Xbox sold. The are planning on getting the revenue back on the Xbox 360.

(all info gleaned from a quick read of a Time article).

Dobby.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    MS is going to swimming in glee when the 360 is released. They are going to receive more praise on the 360 than they have throughout their entire history. XBOX live really is the system seller with this thing. If you have not used it in it's current form, you have no idea how freaking cool it is in it's simple primitive state. The evolved version is absolutely sick! I don't know how Sony intends to compete with this (just live) in the U.S.A., but they definitely need head sets, and All games have to have online CO-OP capabilities of some sort.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

The new XBox 360 is something Apple should have done.

It plays music/DVD's,games,XBox live (online chat or something).

If I buy a new dvd player, I would buy an xbox 360 as I could play my mp3's as well etc.

With Apples iPod and the whole home entertainment system waffle, I'm surprised that they don't have something like this.

Oh Yes. Microsoft lose money on EVERY Xbox sold. The are planning on getting the revenue back on the Xbox 360.

(all info gleaned from a quick read of a Time article).

Dobby.

Just exactly why should Apple have done the Xbox 360? You have already conceded that Microsoft loses money on every Xbox sold. Whatever its plans are, Microsoft will also lose money on every Xbox 360 sold. Of course, that's when it goes on sale. Currently, Apple is doing very well with a diverse line of profitable products and services. I don't buy the notion that the company will be perfect if it adds a few financial dogs to the mix.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    benjamin_rbenjamin_r Posts: 265member
    OK, I dont think this thread is serving any real purpose....

Just a quick summary before lock...

Apple did make Pippin, licenced it and it died.

High doubtful that Sony would brand a Apple PS3.

XBOX Live rules....

Locked.