PB G5 -- coming within next 14 days

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Think Rob1 (new powerbook is going to be using similar materials in its new case).

no idea on specs sorry.

genuine sources on manufacturing side.

bye

Comments

• Reply 1 of 219
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

PB G5 -- coming within next 14 months

Fixed.
  • Reply 2 of 219
    Quote:

Originally posted by microdisiac

Think Rob1 (new powerbook is going to be using similar materials in its new case).

no idea on specs sorry.

bye

"Think Rob1"? Like the guy on macbidouille forums?

Gimme a little more to go on here...please.
  • Reply 3 of 219
    UhmmMm... Yeah... Would clash with WWDC which is a very good thing.

But... PBG5? Not yet.. Unfortunately.. :/
  • Reply 4 of 219
    Rob1 as in the bluetooth-controlled Sony Ericsson rolling camera thingy?

http://www.sonyericsson.com/rob1/main.asp?LangID=1

Are you saying the pbg5 will be aluminum with a black strip around the middle, or that it'll be spherical and follow you around and take pictures from floor level of cute girls?

'Cause, you know, either way...

(ps - it's not the Rob1 on macbidouille - he mostly talks about playing Doom 3 on his current PB... yes, I went and read it, in French, yes that means I'm unhealthily obsessed...)
  • Reply 5 of 219
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Quote:

Originally posted by microdisiac

no idea on specs sorry.

bye

So it's just a few days later than the dual-core 3.2 GHz PowerMac with 4 cores ...

:LOL:
  • Reply 6 of 219
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • Reply 7 of 219
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    This is BS. Apple just updated the PowerBooks. We won't see a G5 PowerBook until 2006.
  • Reply 8 of 219
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

This is BS. Apple just updated the PowerBooks. We won't see a G5 PowerBook until 2006.

Sorry, completely disagree. The latest Powerbook update was minor.

The fact we have not heard any hints from Apple recently and that they always say it's too hard to bring a G5 into Powerbook makes me think the announcement is imminent. They need to get rid of all the Powerbooks g4 they can.

It's been almost 2 years since the introduction of G5. So the timing is perfect for such announcement.
  • Reply 9 of 219
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    also, the ibooks are overdue an update..but such an update would bring them almost on par with the powerbooks, negating the reason for them being powerbooks...so I think at least another bump if not something special (g5 ) is in order...i hope
  • Reply 10 of 219
    benjamin_rbenjamin_r Posts: 265member
    If they around the corner how "crippled" are the processors going to be to deal with the heat..... They sure has hell cant make the thing any thicker than 1.5 inches or it won't be a powerbook anymore....

The thinness is the selling point of the range... and the fact they are sex on legs.

P.S. Im not much of a processor geek so please don't flame me if you guys have some wicked force power of knowing things us mere morals dont and that heat is no longer a problem....
  • Reply 11 of 219
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

It's been almost 2 years since the introduction of G5. So the timing is perfect for such announcement.

The timing perhaps, but not the technology.

Quote:

Originally posted by benjamin_r

P.S. Im not much of a processor geek so please don't flame me if you guys have some wicked force power of knowing things us mere morals dont and that heat is no longer a problem....

There is nothing in the IBM CPU front indicating that heat is not a problem, as far as the G5 processors are concerned. Unless Apple chooses to use some PPE-type processor for the Powerbook, which I doubt.
  • Reply 12 of 219
    This is bollocks.
  • Reply 13 of 219
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    I could be wrong - as a matter of fact probably are - but I thought the Dual core processors used less power than the P4 3.0ghz? Less power means less heat.

Anyways, yes the timeing is perfect, and I would love to see a Powerbook G5, and Apples mobile line is busting for a major update, in form factor if nothing else. Graphics cards need to go to at least a 9600 to run T, I, double g, ERRRR. Tiger.

This means that Apple has to update notebooks soon if only in the graphics card department.
  • Reply 14 of 219
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Utter and complete.

totally rediculous
  • Reply 15 of 219
    yes it is, BUT i want one

so please i am waiting ....
  • Reply 16 of 219
    fieldyfieldy Posts: 31member
    My 12" PowerBook arrives tomorrow so it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

Anyway I'd rather have a 4th generation Apple laptop rather than a 1st generation - honest!
  • Reply 17 of 219
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Hypothetical scariness: No PB G5. Instead, PB P4 or

PB AMD64 running Mac OS X.

Then again why can't Apple deal with 3 or 4 different chip makers for different lines as opposed to 2 now?
  • Reply 18 of 219
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Hypothetical scariness: No PB G5. Instead, PB P4 or

PB AMD64 running Mac OS X.

Then again why can't Apple deal with 3 or 4 different chip makers for different lines as opposed to 2 now?

You're joking right? Why? Well, Freescale and IBM produce PowerPC chips and all code is compiled for that line. In order to have both PowerPC and x86 chip lines in their products, they would have to maintain two completely different code bases and their 3rd party software vendors would have to do the same. Why in the hell would anyone spend the money on that??!?!!

• Reply 19 of 219
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

The timing perhaps, but not the technology.

There is nothing in the IBM CPU front indicating that heat is not a problem, as far as the G5 processors are concerned. Unless Apple chooses to use some PPE-type processor for the Powerbook, which I doubt.

How do you know that?

Do you work at Apple? or are you just reading the reports and rumors?

The fact is, there is (or was) a problem with heat regarding the chips but IMHO Apple is using this problem as marketing recently (last 6 months) to sell as many Powerbook G4 out there.

I think many of this issues are being resolved if not fully resolved, It's been 2 years! so my opinion they are ready to launch it at WWDC.

Am I speculating? Sure, I am not an insider. But common sense and time suggests the above.
  • Reply 20 of 219
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

How do you know that?

Do you work at Apple? or are you just reading the reports and rumors?

The fact is, there is (or was) a problem with heat regarding the chips but IMHO Apple is using this problem as marketing recently (last 6 months) to sell as many Powerbook G4 out there.

I think many of this issues are being resolved if not fully resolved, It's been 2 years! so my opinion they are ready to launch it at WWDC.

Am I speculating? Sure, I am not an insider. But common sense and time suggests the above.

How do you know that?

Seriously, the only thing we do know is that Apple has stated that getting a G5 into a PowerBook is a tremendous feat and something along the lines of 'don't expect a PowerBook G5 in the near future'. Joswiak stated that last November or December, if memory serves. So no one really knows but Apple employees working on the project. And IBM of course.