The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

Comments

• Reply 181 of 294
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Do not expect product announcements at the All Things Digital Conference. Only expect subtle hints if anything.
  • Reply 182 of 294
    Expect big product announcements.
  • Reply 183 of 294
    shadowxshadowx Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

$1999

2.0 GHz G5 (PPC 970gx)

15.4" widescreen, 1440 x 900

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 256MB of DDR SDRAM and dual-link DVI as BTO option.

120GB HD, 5400 rpm

Superdrive

Now THAT would be great. I'm not holding my breadth, though. Now, my prediction for a new 15 inch powerbooks... oh, before I begin, there is no way we will see the 970MP...

$2099 (yep - I think they raise prices, I don't care what everyone else thinks - of course I hope I'm wrong!!)

1.6 GHz G5

266 or 400 MHZ FSB

15.4" widescreen

512 MB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon X600 with 64MB, upgradeable to 128MB and dual-link

80GB HD, 5400 rpm

Combo Drive

$2399

1.8 GHz G5

300 or 450 MHZ FSB

15.4" widescreen

512 MB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon X600 with 128MB and dual-link

100GB HD, 5400 rpm

Superdrive

A few notes...

I see no need to go to DDR2 RAM

I would love serial ATA HD's, but who knows (please, Apple?)

I chose the X600 because Apple seems to always settle for a middle of the road graphics card

• Reply 184 of 294
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Do not expect product announcements at the All Things Digital Conference. Only expect subtle hints if anything.

I'll take what I can get.

From Uncle Steve
  • Reply 185 of 294
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I like what I see ShadowX... I think those are the most realistic specs I've seen.

However, I don't see that happening any time soon. Probably MWParis -> MWSF... or in between.
  • Reply 186 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by squareback

Expect big product announcements.

Probably, but not from Apple!
  • Reply 187 of 294
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

D: All Things Digital

Thanks for the heads up.

Unless Apple can pull a rabbit out of their ass the XBOX 360 will have XMAS, and beyond sewn up, and the Playstation 3 will take charge straight after that, and continue the rest of the next year out. The consoles are the new iPod's for this year, and next. It's over... Game over man... game over...
  • Reply 188 of 294
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Thanks for the heads up.

Unless Apple can pull a rabbit out of their ass the XBOX 360 will have XMAS, and beyond sewn up, and the Playstation 3 will take charge straight after that, and continue the rest of the next year out. The consoles are the new iPod's for this year, and next. It's over... Game over man... game over...

Good... maybe apple will start taking computing seriously again. Only thing that will save the iPod is the iPod SDK...

The iPod has a lot of potential still. But I'd rather see apple start pouring more R&D into their damn hardware.
  • Reply 189 of 294
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Thanks for the heads up.

At that point apple could license fairplay to Sony. Putting the iTMS on every playstation with downloadable content to the psp. This would block Xbox and

M$ move into the living room.

Yes, I know this is far fetched, but, it would generate a huge market advantage in the coming years. Also, I do believe apples real money generation will lie in its online movie store when that comes. The royalty structure will no doubt greatly benefit apple. Music will then be more of a loss leader (or a break even proposition)
  • Reply 190 of 294
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

At that point apple could license fairplay to Sony. Putting the iTMS on every playstation with downloadable content to the psp. This would block Xbox and

M$ move into the living room.

They should license it to Nintendo while they're at it. Although Sony has the majority of marketshare in this generation I can see downloadables being bigger for Nintendo since it will be whole games (from NES to GameCube era). Market to them both and leave MS no wiggle room.

Plus it could be an easier sell; Sony has always tried to pioneer their own DRM schemes and Nintendo has opted to oddly-shaped media. Outside of size differences I haven't heard nearly as much about Nintendo's DRM when compared to what Sony has tried to develop previously.
  • Reply 191 of 294
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member
    These are just my thoughts and I think they are quite sensible, so please don't rip my head off for these suggestions. Keep the forum friendly

iBooks will recieve a minor update (this week?) so people will start scratching their heads and questioning what's left for WWDC???

I think the collaboration between Sony and Apple will unfold during WWDC. All the technology will tie together.

The iPod will become 5th gen with aliminium casing and have some kind of video and wireless capabilities. The Airport/Express will get updates with a remote for controlling iTunes. iTunes will recieve a full on music video download service with help from QT7 (and maybe an optional subsciption?)

We may even recieve a long awaited iHome DVR type system (add on to Mac Mini) with some form of hardware input from Sony. I think the movie download service is premature. I believe they will want to test the system with music videos first, but who knows. The comment from Jobs during MWSF with Sony in attendance was quite suspicious.

Apple are really going to want to kick X-Box in the ass by getting there early and Sony would love to smash any reputation the X-Box has before their PS3 system arrives early in 2006. 40" screens would really compliment this home entertainment setup but I am not sure how realistic these are at this point in time.

As for dual core processors, the PC market is sliding in that direction and Apple will want to be right up there with them. I expect to see some form of DualCore PowerMacs and G5MP PowerBooks with HD Screens in September 2005. We could maybe see some sort of XServe Dual Core before then.

It's all a little confusing right now but I guess what I am trying to say is WWDC 2005 will be focused on extending the iPod cash cow and introducing the Home entertainment possibilities. Instead of an all in one system it will be like lego bricks allowing you to connect your iPod, Mac Mini, Airport and iLife/iTunes together.

We will be told that we don't WANT a big box that tries to do everything half-heartedly. But what we NEED is solid independent gadgets such as kick-ass portable music players that just so happen to now interact wirelessly with your other 150 Apple products that work for different purposes.

As mentioned it's very quiet which I consider to be a good thing. The next 2 weeks are going to be very interesting!
  • Reply 192 of 294
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazabrit

Apple are really going to want to kick X-Box in the ass by getting there early and Sony would love to smash any reputation the X-Box has before their PS3 system arrives early in 2006. 40" screens would really compliment this home entertainment setup but I am not sure how realistic these are at this point in time.

Apple teams up as the "official" display maker for the PS3?

It's graphics card can output 2x 1080p, or 2x Apple 23" displays. Depending on the scaleability of the games outputs, could this mean support for the 30" display?
  • Reply 193 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

It's graphics card can output 2x 1080p, or 2x Apple 23" displays. Depending on the scaleability of the games outputs, could this mean support for the 30" display?

I'd love to agree but I think Sony have more expertise in the display department. I'd like to maybe see some Apple Sony co-branded products though (a bit like Sony Ericsson). I'm not sure if they could make it work but it would probably introduce Apple to an even wider audience. Sony behind the tech (with Apple intervention) and Apple behind the design.
  • Reply 194 of 294
    touristtourist Posts: 2member
    Quote:

pfft,PS3 @1080p through dual HDMI ports can drive 2 60" plasma panels, so why bother hyping it with trifling sub 33inchers

With a HDMI to DVI cord (they are pin compatible) you can run any DVI screen you like with this bad boy...
  • Reply 195 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazabrit

I'd love to agree but I think Sony have more expertise in the display department. I'd like to maybe see some Apple Sony co-branded products though (a bit like Sony Ericsson). I'm not sure if they could make it work but it would probably introduce Apple to an even wider audience. Sony behind the tech (with Apple intervention) and Apple behind the design.

I guess the difference with the Sony Ericsson situation is that Ericsson had no design behind it, although actually had some decent tech. Sony brought style (and a certain amount of tech also) to the brand. Apple and Sony would probably be too much alike to be cooperating on a tech for one, design for the other basis. There's generally not a bad designed Sony product. (Except for those AWFUL design VAIO laptops that they did to compete with the PowerBook some years ago; black with silver "piping" edges and handle.)

What I think would work is two products from the companies that support each other. An example would be the PS3 having the ability to stream audio to the Airport Express (or whatever other features come along with AE2).

Sony and Apple are both huge companies (so huge that Sony departments fight with each other let alone other companies). They wont agree enough with every little detail to go into it tethered together, however I feel a mutually beneficial situation would mean them working well together (think that HD camera and iMovie HD).
  • Reply 196 of 294
    Quote:

Originally posted by tourist

pfft,PS3 @1080p through dual HDMI ports can drive 2 60" plasma panels, so why bother hyping it with trifling sub 33inchers

With a HDMI to DVI cord (they are pin compatible) you can run any DVI screen you like with this bad boy...

What is HDMI ? Is it the PS3' video out? One of the assurances I want is that I can plug the PS3 into a DVI port...

Over in the UK the highest resolution TV is 720i, as far as I have seen, and they are all over 8 or 9 hundred quid. The 23" Apple display is one of the few high HD monitors I have seen. Plus it's only a thousand pounds...
  • Reply 197 of 294
    Yeah, your probably right
  • Reply 198 of 294
    I just wanted to say (it doesn't really help you out much) but HDMI is going to start appearing here in the UK very soon. Sky is going to be one of the first major companies to bring it to our attention as their new Sky HD services will run HDMI out. There are quite a few HD Plasmas appearing on the marketnow also.

You will always be able to switch between HDMI and DVI/DVI-D through the use of an adapter. Even if you couldn't do it officially (which you can), you would be able to do it through 3rd party products. No (money-making) stone is ever left unturned in electronics.

EDIT: 720p/1080i is available quite freely in the UK nowadays.
  • Reply 199 of 294
    I have been waiting for a new PowerBook for a year, so I love Junkyard Dawgs speculation, however even if Shadow X speculation holds true, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Anythings possible.
  • Reply 200 of 294
    same here

go PowerBook go PowerBook go PowerBook