Mac Mini vs. iBook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello

I want to buy an Apple Computer. Can you help me to decide wheter i should wait untill Beginning of June or order now? How will the new Mac Mini / ibook look like?

I am not sure about buying an ibook or a mac mini?

Can you tell me some pro's or con's of each machine?

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dschango

Hello

I want to buy an Apple Computer. Can you help me to decide wheter i should wait untill Beginning of June or order now? How will the new Mac Mini / ibook look like?

I am not sure about buying an ibook or a mac mini?

Can you tell me some pro's or con's of each machine?

Thank you.

Well, those are two different lines - desktop and portable. If a portable is in your plans, then definitely, the iBook. If you just want to try Mac OS X (aka, switcher), the Mac Mini is a cheaper way of doing that. Depends on your needs really, which should also determine your buying time. I would wait until WWDC hits, but if you need one now, buy one now.

Basically the speed is close between the two. Follow this link to read more about various computers Apple makes.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dschangodschango Posts: 49member
    well, thanx for the link.

i 'd prefer to be mobile, but it is not necessary.

if i can get a cheap good quality computer (as mac mini) i'd be happy...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    If budget is tight, a 1.25GHz mini boosted to maximum 1GB of RAM will likely outperform the 1.42GHz mini if you've left if with stock 256MB RAM.

OS X loves RAM. Budget for a RAM upgrade no matter which machine you get.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

If budget is tight, a 1.25GHz mini boosted to maximum 1GB of RAM will likely outperform the 1.42GHz mini if you've left if with stock 256MB RAM.

OS X loves RAM. Budget for a RAM upgrade no matter which machine you get.

Good point - Apple has bumped a lot of their machines to 512MB as standard configurations.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Good point - Apple has bumped a lot of their machines to 512MB as standard configurations.

iMac G5, PowerMacs, PowerBooks, and the Superdrive eMac are now stock 512.

All of the models he was considering in this thread (iBook, mini) are still stock 256MB.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

iMac G5, PowerMacs, PowerBooks, and the Superdrive eMac are now stock 512.

All of the models he was considering in this thread (iBook, mini) are still stock 256MB.

Oh I know, just stating the fact that Apple sees the need for more RAM. Their low-end stuff still ships with, in my opinion, paltry amounts of RAM.