PB G5 -- coming within next 14 days

Comments

• Reply 21 of 219
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

You're joking right? Why? Well, Freescale and IBM produce PowerPC chips and all code is compiled for that line. In order to have both PowerPC and x86 chip lines in their products, they would have to maintain two completely different code bases and their 3rd party software vendors would have to do the same. Why in the hell would anyone spend the money on that??!?!!

I am joking. That's why I prefaced with Hypothetical.
  • Reply 22 of 219
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I am joking. That's why I prefaced with Hypothetical.

Sorry, read the last question differently than the previous.

Anyway, they could get away with an emulated (read: virtual) OS as they did with classic, but I really don't see it happening. Just way too expensive for all the worth. Besides, Intel is at a virtual standstill right now as well. AMD seems to be doing better, but what good would it do Apple?
  • Reply 23 of 219
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

Sorry, read the last question differently than the previous.

Anyway, they could get away with an emulated (read: virtual) OS as they did with classic, but I really don't see it happening. Just way too expensive for all the worth. Besides, Intel is at a virtual standstill right now as well. AMD seems to be doing better, but what good would it do Apple?

I was just playing off of the top story on the front page of AI about WSJ's announcement of Apple considering Intel.

Just a joshing really.
  • Reply 24 of 219
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

How do you know that?

Seriously, the only thing we do know is that Apple has stated that getting a G5 into a PowerBook is a tremendous feat and something along the lines of 'don't expect a PowerBook G5 in the near future'. Joswiak stated that last November or December, if memory serves. So no one really knows but Apple employees working on the project. And IBM of course.

Yes, I read what Apple has said, but just think. If they slightly said anything positive about it, it would halt the PB G4 sales. Specially the latest upgrade that was so minor. That's why every time I hear an Apple executive saying how difficult and how challenging makes me think otherwise. Two years ago I agree, I was not hopeful, but now after 2 years and the recent silence from Apple may suggest something good finally is coming our way.
  • Reply 25 of 219
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

This is BS. Apple just updated the PowerBooks. We won't see a G5 PowerBook until 2006.

I disagree also... in 14 days the powerbooks will have been out for 6 months. Powerbooks used to be updated every 6-8 months. If they weren't updated till 2006 that would be a full year cycle off of a minor update. Powerbook sales are hurting enough as it is because the iBook is so close to comparision. Not updating the Powerbook would hurt both lines. Apple needs to update both of these laptops... within the next few months
  • Reply 26 of 219
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Joswiak stated that last November or December, if memory serves. So no one really knows but Apple employees working on the project. And IBM of course.

He also said - don't expect a mini Mac any time soon - mmmmmm! And Jobs said that they weren't going to make a flash or video iPod.

But I agree a G5 PowerBook isn't close
  • Reply 27 of 219
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

He also said - don't expect a mini Mac any time soon - mmmmmm! And Jobs said that they weren't going to make a flash or video iPod.

But I agree a G5 PowerBook isn't close

I never read that quote - do you have a link?

As far as the video iPod, Jobs stated yesterday,

On a video iPod, Jobs said, "Headphones are a miraculous thing." But, he added, "there's no such thing as headphones for video." Portable video won't be successful, he explained, until you can carry around a 50-inch video screen in your pocket. He went on to praise the PSP as a great game player, but "not great for music [because] it doesn't fit in your pocket."
  • Reply 28 of 219
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I don't - sorry.
  • Reply 29 of 219
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

I never read that quote - do you have a link?

As far as the video iPod, Jobs stated yesterday,

On a video iPod, Jobs said, "Headphones are a miraculous thing." But, he added, "there's no such thing as headphones for video." Portable video won't be successful, he explained, until you can carry around a 50-inch video screen in your pocket. He went on to praise the PSP as a great game player, but "not great for music [because] it doesn't fit in your pocket."

My feeling is that we won't see the video ipod for long time. Steve doesn't seem to like the idea. maybe we could see and ipod that plays video on a external monitor, almost like a portable video player.
  • Reply 30 of 219
    I can't imagine that Apple won't have a new PB within a month given the modesty of the last update and the narrow performance over the ibook. Clearly, it would be insane from a financial standpoint to update the ibook alone even though even this line is in dire need of improvement. It seems they would have to update both lines simultaneously or the PB first with ibook after.

Why wouldn't it make sense for Apple to at least go with a Dual G4 PB? Would that create too much heat? Does anyone know?

I still use an ibook from 01/2000, so any thing new would be an improvement for me, but I'm not going to purchase a current apple laptop to have it drop in value in two weeks.

Like some others, I suspect that the silence is a good thing.
  • Reply 31 of 219
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

[quoting Steve Jobs at D]:

Portable video won't be successful, he explained, until you can carry around a 50-inch video screen in your pocket. He went on to praise the PSP as a great game player, but "not great for music [because] it doesn't fit in your pocket."[/i]

How could you carry a 50" video screen in your pocket?

Well, if it was a projector... It would be more like a P.A. system than headphones (breaking the analogy drawn in the full quote in Rhumgod's post), but it occurred to me as a bit of lateral thinking. After all, there really can't be an equivalent to headphones. You can navigate with music in your ears much more easily than with video in your eyes.

As for the PowerBook, it is true that the PBs are due for a refresh, going by the timeline, and by the fact that the last update was minor. It would not surprise me at all to see an updated PowerBook announced at or before WWDC—which is, after all, awash in PowerBooks. If they actually ship with G5s, then it's either a different "G5" than the one we're thinking of, or someone at IBM pulled a rabbit out of a hat about 8-12 months ago.
  • Reply 32 of 219
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Why are you folks talking about the PB being due for an update? The current model started shipping in early February (announced Jan. 31 to start shipping in a week).

That's 3 1/2 months ago. When WWDC rolls around that will have been 4 months. According to the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, the average update time is 6 months. But even that includes adding models, rather than just updating existing models. It's more like 8 months - the last update took 9 months. It simply doesn't make economic sense to replace a computer after only 4 months or so.
  • Reply 33 of 219
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

How could you carry a 50" video screen in your pocket?

Special eyeglasses with headphones? Perhaps no, just too much futuristic. And dangerous. When you are at it in a train, say, they can steal not only your wallet, but yourself too.

Quote:

If they actually ship with G5s, then it's either a different "G5" than the one we're thinking of, or someone at IBM pulled a rabbit out of a hat about 8-12 months ago.

And passed completely unnoticed? Hard to believe.
  • Reply 34 of 219
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Special eyeglasses with headphones? Perhaps no, just too much futuristic. And dangerous. When you are at it in a train, say, they can steal not only your wallet, but yourself too.

That's why I ruled out that option in my post. A projector would make more sense if you assume that video requires the full attention of the viewer, and if you further assume that the player has to fit in a pocket. The only way goggles make sense is if they're fully immersive, and that technology is a good long way from commercialization. Also, if you have goggles, you can't show the video to other people. With a projector, you can.

Quote:

And passed completely unnoticed? Hard to believe.

Indeed.

But then, what are the other options? A 200MHz MaxBus would stretch the available G4 clock Hz up into the 1.6GHz-2.0GHz range, which would mark another incremental boost to the line. Beyond that, the pickings are slim indeed for a significant update in the next two weeks, based on publicly known timelines for announced CPUs.

Given that, I will confidently announce that we can expect a PB G5 -- coming within next 14 eons.
  • Reply 35 of 219
    Quote:

A 200MHz MaxBus would stretch the available G4 clock Hz up into the 1.6GHz-2.0GHz range, which would mark another incremental boost to the line.

That is the sad truth with the G4. But then, what are the options for Apple, in order to clearly distinguish the iBook from the Powerbook? The iBook needs more an update than the Powerbook, but if it takes that update in the coming weeks, the distance between the two will reach a probably absolute minimum. On the other hand, a 200 MHz bus plus 1 MB L2 plus higher clock speeds can provide enough differentiation at least until the beginning of next year.

Quote:

Given that, I will confidently announce that we can expect a PB G5 -- coming within next 14 eons.

Hehe, do you know greek by the way? Your nickname suggest that too. Anyway, I think that the Mac community has had too much high expectations for the Powerbook after the release of the G5. This is fueled of course by Apple's secrecy, although I must recognize that S. Jobs himself and other Apple executives tried to control people's expectations with hints in certain occasions. Of course there is no way to see a usual G5 in a Powerbook. IBM has other 64-bit CPUs that can be used in situations where low power is a requirement. Only time will tell if these technologies will play some role in the evolution of the Powerbook line.
  • Reply 36 of 219
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

That is the sad truth with the G4. But then, what are the options for Apple, in order to clearly distinguish the iBook from the Powerbook? The iBook needs more an update than the Powerbook, but if it takes that update in the coming weeks, the distance between the two will reach a probably absolute minimum. On the other hand, a 200 MHz bus plus 1 MB L2 plus higher clock speeds can provide enough differentiation at least until the beginning of next year.

Plus, the PowerBook comes in sexy aluminum, while the iBook only comes in glossy white plastic!

Quote:

Hehe, do you know greek by the way? Your nickname suggest that too.

It would be a stretch to say that I know Greek, but some dribbles of the ancient Greek that I learned in college (15 years ago!) have stuck around. I'm much better at recognizing Greek cognates in English words than I am at reading Greek—which is not saying much.

Quote:

Anyway, I think that the Mac community has had too much high expectations for the Powerbook after the release of the G5. This is fueled of course by Apple's secrecy, although I must recognize that S. Jobs himself and other Apple executives tried to control people's expectations with hints in certain occasions.

Actually, I shoulder the blame for that on IBM. Their early literature on the 970 made a lot of claims about embedded and notebook use based on remarkably low-voltage designs (0.8v, as I recall)—which didn't survive the debacle that was the transition to 90nm. To my lasting surprise, IBM made exactly the same mistake with the 970 that Motorola made with the 7400: Trying to fab a new design on a new process. The fact that the process they used proved to be exceptionally difficult just made matters worse. (Since both of these chips featured Apple as a prominent customer, I suppose you could blame Jobs for persuading both companies to shoot the moon.)

That's pretty much the rabbit that IBM would have pulled out of their hat: If Fishkill's engineers have succeeded in producing 0.8v 970[fx] CPUs in quantity—nearly two years behind schedule—Apple may have what they need to made a G5 PowerBook.

One advantage of the original poster's prediction is that we don't have long to wait in order to falsify this hypothesis...
  • Reply 37 of 219
    macinjoshmacinjosh Posts: 40member
    POWERBOOK G5 -- PHOTO!!!

• Reply 38 of 219
    Quote:

One advantage of the original poster's prediction is that we don't have long to wait in order to falsify this hypothesis...

Now there's looking on the bright side.
  • Reply 39 of 219
    Quote:

It would be a stretch to say that I know Greek, but some dribbles of the ancient Greek that I learned in college (15 years ago!) have stuck around. I'm much better at recognizing Greek cognates in English words than I am at reading Greek—which is not saying much.

I guess then you know what your nickname means .

Quote:

Actually, I shoulder the blame for that on IBM. Their early literature on the 970 made a lot of claims about embedded and notebook use based on remarkably low-voltage designs (0.8v, as I recall)—which didn't survive the debacle that was the transition to 90nm.

Yeah, I remember. There was some rumbling about the so called PowerTune technology. Never heard again since then.
  • Reply 40 of 219
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

This is bollocks.

very subtley put dude