i have...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ok im going to have about 1500 for a mac in about a month or two. what mac should i get? i am looking for a laptop because i already have a desktop. i am thinking either powerbook or mabye iBook (duh lol). One thought though is waiting until the g5 powerbook comes out.

another question is should i get the stock 512mb ram and just upgrade it on my own with 3rd party RAM or should i just get additional RAM through apple?

1) how much more/less expensive is it to get through apple?

2) what are the timings(latencies etc.) of the ram that apple uses on its pb's vs. the timings of ram such as "crucial" or someone else?

3) how hard is it to install ram on a laptop?

thx

-Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hodog16hodog16 Posts: 16member
    I can sorta help:

1) Apple is much more expensive. A 1 GB stick of RAM from Apple is $300, getting it from a reliable place like Crucial is only $115.

2) I have no idea, and I'm wondering this also. The only info Apple says (at least for the iMac), is to make sure to get the right speed (PC3200), non-buffered and non-registered RAM.

3) I installed some RAM when I had the clam-shell iBook and it was simple. Just slide some tabs, pop off the keyboard and insert the RAM into a slot located underneath it. Not sure how the powerbook works but I imagine something along those lines.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    t-bonet-bone Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SteveGTA

ok im going to have about 1500 for a mac in about a month or two. what mac should i get? i am looking for a laptop because i already have a desktop. i am thinking either powerbook or mabye iBook (duh lol). One thought though is waiting until the g5 powerbook comes out.

another question is should i get the stock 512mb ram and just upgrade it on my own with 3rd party RAM or should i just get additional RAM through apple?

1) how much more/less expensive is it to get through apple?

2) what are the timings(latencies etc.) of the ram that apple uses on its pb's vs. the timings of ram such as "crucial" or someone else?

3) how hard is it to install ram on a laptop?

thx

-Steve

To answer #1:

Less expensive than Apple. Do some shopping around. Just note that if you need to send the laptop back for any repairs, you will need to remove any after-market RAM before shipping it to them since Apple won't cover that.

To answer #2:

I'd also like to know from any engineers in this forum.

To answer #3:

(for PowerBooks)

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Pow...zUserGuide.pdf

(for iBooks)

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iBo...ingStarted.pdf

Another thing to consider, if you can afford it, is to get AppleCare. It's come in handy three times in the past 2 years I've owned my 12" PowerBook, with an average turnaround time being 2 days.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Go the iBook - wait till the next update though, cant be too far off - hope \

Definatly get RAM elsewhere, is simply too expensive from apple. If you dont do photoshop or something, 512mb should be plenty.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SteveGTA

I can suggest Datamem.com. I just purchased a 2 GB(2x1GB) upgrade for my dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac from them a couple of weeks ago after seeing them mentioned on these forums. I had a very good experience with them.

The 2 GB upgrade was $220 with overnight shipping.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    /rant/ I really hate threads with these kind of subject lines... //rant/
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Go to www.memoryx.com and you can check for the correct memory for the correct model of mac.

Apple tell you the memory your machine supports so you can my any memory of this spec and it will work.

I used a swag of HP pc memory for our G5's as we had a load swapped out.

Dobby.