new ibook owner - thinking of getting .mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
the $69.99 deal ends tomorrow and i am considering getting .mac for a year. do a lot of you have this membership, and what are the major benefits that you use it for - backup, e-mail, extra software, etc? thanks for any info.

also, one more question. i bought my ibook with 512 RAM (256 built-in plus 256 chip). if i want to update it to 768, can i buy an additional 256 chip to update it, or do i need to buy a full 512 chip. i had thought there was an additional slot i could use for a second chip, but am not sure. if i buy the chip at an apple store, will they install it for free? thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boochydog

the $69.99 deal ends tomorrow and i am considering getting .mac for a year. do a lot of you have this membership, and what are the major benefits that you use it for - backup, e-mail, extra software, etc? thanks for any info.

also, one more question. i bought my ibook with 512 RAM (256 built-in plus 256 chip). if i want to update it to 768, can i buy an additional 256 chip to update it, or do i need to buy a full 512 chip. i had thought there was an additional slot i could use for a second chip, but am not sure. if i buy the chip at an apple store, will they install it for free? thanks!

Which iBook do you have?

I have a G4 1.2Ghz with 1.25 GB ram. You have only one ram slot. If you want to go to 768, you have to buy a 512 and swap them out. Maybe sell your extra to get whatever you can out of it.

I just went ahead and purchased a 1 GB chip and just maxed it out that way I won't be throwing any more money away because I know myself and I always end up needing more, errrr, wnating more.

I don't know about the install cost at an apple store but maybe to persuade you, I had my chip installed and computer operational again in around 5 minutes. It was a snap!

.Mac

I love .mac and I purchased it when I purchased my first mac, iMac G5 in November. At first, I really didn't use it. Then, I started using the email address and making use of the web mail address when I am not around a computer I own. Then I started trying out iDisk after I purcahsed my second mac, my iBook. Dang man, automatic syncing files in your iDisk folder, address book syncing, calander syncing, where does the madness end!!!?? .Mac really comes in handy when you have more than one Mac or like to access email and address book contacts via the web.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I've had .Mac since it first came out. I use both the email and iSync and public folder for sharing files. Recently they added some new features to Mail (aliases) that I'm interested but haven't used yet.

Possibly you could assemble a better bag of features for less if you spent the time to shop around, however, .Mac works well and is convenient. I think I have disk storage and free web hosting with my ISP but I've never figured out how to use it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    i dont have an ibook, so i cant help you w/ that, sorry.. but i have .mac, and im liking it i use it for websites, i keep photo albums on there and such.. prolly going to use it for email at some point as well as gmail... and im liking it, i would reccommend it
  • Reply 4 of 5
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    hmmm..... .mac.

i have had it for almost as long as its been available and generally have good things to say. the only drawback is the price. for this amount of money apple needs to at least give people a reasonable amount of space on their idisk such as other services do.

that said, it is very handy in different situations. if u have 2 computers its a god send. i use it to sync between my desktop and a laptop. mainly just contacts, mail and calendar stuff. i also sync with an account i have on my girlfriends powerbook . its nice to have access to your stuff anywhere u go.

for multiple or single computer user the email functions are really nice. alias capability is awesome. i have set up a number of aliases and set up rules to give each one's messages a different color so they are easily identifiable when they arrive. as well, this way i can give one out to various shopping sites(eg. [email protected]) . that way, when i inevitably start getting spam i know whom its from and then can just dispense with that alias and make another. so overall i would say go for it, and just hope that in the future they get more reasonable with the price.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    i agree with all the above. if you have kids, the integration of iphoto and the .mac web publish tools is pretty nice and will keep the grandparent happy. i also used to use idisk a lot as well. it really came in handy before i bought a portable drive that i could shuttle stuff to an from work. over all pretty happy with it.