G3 B&W grey screen at startup

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My G3 B&W has a grey screen at startup.... have you ever seen that before? somebody told me it is somewhat related with the battery. Is it true?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Mine does, too, I think. I never thought that was unusual, though. What is it supposed to be? It starts with a gray screen then eventually goes to blue with the MacOS sign as it loads up.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    yes but mine stays grey... it never goes to the blue screen
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ...meaning your computer never reaches the boot stage? Sounds like a serious hardware problem.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Randycat99:

<strong>...meaning your computer never reaches the boot stage? Sounds like a serious hardware problem.</strong><hr></blockquote>

doesnt sound like a serious hardware problem at all, does it chime? do you get any sound? beeps?

take out the ram and pop back in 1 by 1, hold the cuda switch for 15 seconds- it's on the motherboard, there are 2 grey buttons near the chip, 1 is the power and the other is the cuda

take out the battery on the board and swap it with a $5 one from radioshack... just take yours in and ask for one of em

try those out and get back to us
  • Reply 5 of 6
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Also remove all peripherals--both internal and external. Add them back one by one to isolate the culprit.

I had this problem with an iMac and this was Apple's troubleshooting process. It worked.

BTW, it's not related to the battery, I don't think.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Can you boot from a CD?