Changing the Bit Rate of Songs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I change the Bit Rate of all my songs in my library to say a Bit Rate of 92? I need some more space on my iPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    go to the preferences menu in iTunes, change the bitrate to 92, then do Apple+A and do Advanced-Convert to (insert format here) then delete all the duplicates. or just dont click anything after clicking convert. then press delete
  • Reply 2 of 27
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    there are much better ways to make space on your ipod than lowering bit rates. i have a 13GB library filtered down to 8GB for my ipod.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

there are much better ways to make space on your ipod than lowering bit rates. i have a 13GB library filtered down to 8GB for my ipod.

Ok, well what are those ways?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

Ok, well what are those ways?

good organization. my songs all have proper tags, i've added comments, and they are rated to my own scale. most of my music is alternative and rock, so i went to those playlists (i make my genres playlists) and tweak them so that i don't have any one star songs or songs i've only listened to once. if they are one star, i won't want to listen to them on my ipod. if i've only listened to them once, chances are i don't like them too much either. now i also have top rated, new stuff (50 most recently added songs), and heavy rotation playlists that always get synced. that way, if there is a song that i've only listened to once, but is new, it still makes it on the ipod. also, my 20-30 songs that i'm really liking at the current time are in my heavy rotation playlist, which is not a smart playlist and therefore i have total control over.

you dont have to follow my system, but i would suggest at least looking through yours to weed out songs you wont necessarily listen to on the road. after all my filtering, i still have plenty of "random" songs that i dont listen too often but are there for those moments when you want them.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    If you want to squeeze out some songs you can let iTunes do it for you - it will choose the songs you don't listen to an take them out. It'll make a playlist of the iPod and then you can choose if any songs are missing etc.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Well I think what I can do to save space is just convert all of the bitrates to 128. For some reason a lot of my songs are 200+. I don't think I need a better quality than 128 for my iPod anyways. This will take forever though. I just converted one song and it took like 20 seconds and I have around 2000 songs.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Well I think what I can do to save space is just convert all of the bitrates to 128. For some reason a lot of my songs are 200+. I don't think I need a better quality than 128 for my iPod anyways. This will take forever though. I just converted one song and it took like 20 seconds and I have around 2000 songs.

leave it to do it overnight or lunch or something - you can select multiple songs
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Would deleting the album art of 2000 songs free up a lot of space?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Would deleting the album art of 2000 songs free up a lot of space?

not tons, but a noticeable amount.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    It depends where you got the artwork from and the size of it.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Alright this is saving me a ton of space so far. How about encoding everything in Mono instead of Stereo, would this save a lot of space? Or would that not sound good?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Alright this is saving me a ton of space so far. How about encoding everything in Mono instead of Stereo, would this save a lot of space? Or would that not sound good?

depends on the song - the best thing to do is to try out the options and choose what YOU prefer. It's all preference
  • Reply 13 of 27
    sorry but i have to ask. no one else i have ever talked to would dare turn their music files to crap quality so to be able to have them all on an ipod. why not just get a new ipod or leave some songs off?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

sorry but i have to ask. no one else i have ever talked to would dare turn their music files to crap quality so to be able to have them all on an ipod. why not just get a new ipod or leave some songs off?

well i dont think AAC 128 is crap quality. Deleting the album art doesnt affect the quality and Im not sure that stereo sounds better than mono anyways. I want to save space without getting bad quality
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

well i dont think AAC 128 is crap quality. Deleting the album art doesnt affect the quality and Im not sure that stereo sounds better than mono anyways. I want to save space without getting bad quality

oh ok. i thought you were doing 92 kbps.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

oh ok. i thought you were doing 92 kbps.

Well I was but I changed my mind because I realized I had a lot of my music at 200+ so changing all to 128 would be enough.

Between making everything 128, and deleting album art, I saved a total of 2 GB. Thanks to all who responded.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I would like to do something similar, but how can I use iTunes to display only the songs that are .mp3?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

I would like to do something similar, but how can I use iTunes to display only the songs that are .mp3?

smart playlists
  • Reply 19 of 27
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

smart playlists

yeah, but with which condition? I want only mp3 files displayed. If I use "kind is mp3" the playlist is blank.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

yeah, but with which condition? I want only mp3 files displayed. If I use "kind is mp3" the playlist is blank.

Kind is MPEG audio file

if you control click on the area above the scroll bars you can choose which categories to see - you can then find out the names for various file formats. I had problems when I was setting up this playlist myself (previously).