Why do you think movie tickets sales are in such a big slump?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Besides a huge hit like SW's Ep3 movie ticket sales for the year aren't looking good.

Why do think people are not going to the movies as much anymore?

1. crappy movies

2. high ticket prices

3. Overloaded with home entertainment- cable, satellite, computers/internet, videogames, DVD's, Big-screen HDTV, and etc.

4. All the above

more info about sagging movie ticket sales can be found @ http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...iew/index.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

Besides a huge hit like SW's Ep3 movie ticket sales for the year aren't looking good.

Why do think people are not going to the movies as much anymore?

1. crappy movies

2. high ticket prices

3. Overloaded with home entertainment- cable, satellite, computers/internet, videogames, DVD's, Big-screen HDTV, and etc.

4. All the above

5. The other people at the movies. Nasty, crinkling celophane, cell phone jabbering, thuggish people.

I have a 120" projection screen. If I could get first run movies on it, I would never go to the theater again.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    ticket prices are STUPID. and there aren't any good movies. that's it.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    johnsocaljohnsocal Posts: 193member
    Sometimes I think pure digital special effects have cheapened movies. Now when something happens like a major chase seen or something being blown up it doesnt have an element of danger with stuntman and actual pyrotechnics anymore. While I love digital effects in movies like SW's but explosions and etc have lost their WOW-factors since we just reduce them to "that's just a digital effect made on a Mac" .
  • Reply 4 of 65
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Sometimes I think pure digital special effects have cheapened movies. Now when something happens like a major chase seen or something being blown up it doesnt have an element of danger with stuntman and actual pyrotechnics anymore. While I love FX in movies like SW's but explosions and etc have lost their WOW-factors since we just reduce them too "that is a just a digital effect made on a Mac" .

Agreed. As much as I like digital effects, when action sequences become too fantastic, they loose some edge. Now, there's a place for this, but it certainly gets overused.

But in line with the thread, I'm going to say that (4) is the answer. For me it's, "why am I going to spend $8 to see a movie when I can see it for $3.50 a few months later, and not have go through the trouble of going to the cinema." So that pretty much covers all the bases. I have a 46" HDTV and decent speakers. When combined with a comfy couch, it beats the cinema.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    I have a 43inch Pioneer HDTV plasma with our surround sound integrated into the walls and the ceiling so it takes a big movie like SW's to get us to the movie theater. When my wife and I get a babysitter for our two toddlers we rather go to a nice restraunt and do something other then watch a movie when we have a opportunity for just the two of us to get out for the evening.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

5. The other people at the movies. Nasty, crinkling celophane, cell phone jabbering, thuggish people.

I have a 120" projection screen. If I could get first run movies on it, I would never go to the theater again.

Same here (projector + surround sound). With a home theaters people don't have to put up with the BS they have to at theaters.

I'm to the point where the only way I go to the movies anymore is by taking afternoons off of work and seeing early shows at least two weeks after the film is released. But that's only the twice a year that I care enough to go. Ironic since I've been in the habit of watching 2-7 films a week for years now.

Long story short: all of the above
  • Reply 7 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Netflix ain't helpin' and home theaters are getting much better.

It's all about the media's "on-demandness." With TiVo, you watch your shows when you want. With Netflix, you get whatever movies you want for as long as you want. With an iPod, you keep your entire music library on one device and listen to whatever you want at your whim.

Driving to a theater to watch a movie at a specific time is SOOOO 10 years ago! \
  • Reply 8 of 65
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    For me:

#1) VERY Expensive to hit the movies. Dates/family = Cha-CHING!

#2) My home theater is a good substitute. (1200 Watts of sound and a 1400x1050 projector) 8) I'm looking at one of THESE next. And maybe this...

#3) Few movies are trip-to-the-theater worthy. I'll usually wait for them on DVD. I do wish I saw The Incredible in the theater though and I WILL see Serenity, but probably not opening day. (I want to!)
  • Reply 9 of 65
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    The price is the biggest thing for me. I basically never goto non-matinee showings, and even then it's $7.50 a ticket.

Additionally, There are rarely compelling enough movies that I feel like seeing, but if the ticket prices were cheaper(like under $5), I know I'd end up viewing movies that I might not normally be interested in.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    I think movie prices should be staggered so that movies like SW's could charge like $10 a ticket but other movies that are not as popular could be $5. I think the idea of charging the same price regardless of the movie is absurd.

I do think George Lucas re-releasing SW's EP4 in an all-new digital 3D format in 2007 could be cool and might start a new trend. Right now there is only 80 digital projectors in the US which would keep that release very limted for a while.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    For me it's a few things.

1. Ticket prices- Too high and concessions are out of this world.

2. The advent of Netflix and Home Theatre. For less than a grand I can get better bass at home than %60 of theaters out there.

3. Parking hassle- hate it..not theatre ever has enough parking

4. Content- Hollywood lived off of Star Wars and LotR but the megafilms are ending and the whole "Sword and Sandal" epics didn't fare well(Alexander, Troy). Nothing is really that exciting anymore from large studios.

5. Theatre comfort- poor riser seating, people with big heads or loud voices. Easy to wreck a good night.

I'm eyeballing a Front PJ system and a nice but modest 7.1 system and once that happens my movie going will drop even more. I got better things to do than be forced to watch crappy Coca Cola adds and trailers that i've already seen.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

#1) VERY Expensive to hit the movies. Dates/family = Cha-CHING!

#2) My home theater is a good substitute. (1200 Watts of sound and a 1400x1050 projector) 8) I'm looking at one of THESE next. And maybe this...

You have a $5000+ sxga+ projector for your home theater and going to the movies is prohibitively expensive to you? I guess you somehow got a nice discount on that.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    giant: hahaha right on.

For me: There are just very few movies worth going to see. Movies suck. And I think many people are getting tired of going to see blockbuster movies that really have very little merit or relevance.

You can only see so many zombie, spooky thriller, teens highschool sexcapade, will smith/ben affleck/ben stiller/john woo shit flicks before you just get tired of it.

There's a reason people revolted against the latter Batman movies but have adored the Spider-Man ones.

In addition, the movie going experience just sucks anymore. You get so bored wating for the damn movie to start that you don't even care anymore when it does. You're just checking your watch. When I visit my girlfriend in Pittsburgh, we occasionally hit up the Lowe's Cineplex there. For a bit more than a normal ticket fare, you can get balcony seats in reclining leather chairs with a shared table for 2 people and they have waiters running to fetch your food and drinks. It's cool because you feel like you're actually getting something for your money other than a 90 minute product placement fest.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Where I live, if you have a date, 2 sodas, 2 popcorns, and small candies that can be shared, your are nearing $45. The entertainment/value ratio is incredibly high. OTOH, same date, make popcorn, 2 liters of soda from safeway, and rent a movie it could run $5. Not to mention post-movie entertainment...

The discount was called "NAB" and it was $3,600. Our last projector could only handle 640x480, was nosier than a full throttle G5, and besides, I needed an upgrade. But, we certainly got our use out of it. Since I bought a EyeTV500 for my G5, I wanted something near HDTV resolution, and this was the best bang for the buck. Now that I have this projector, who needs a theater?
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Is anybody else sick of watching "The Twenty" before the trailers even start?

I don't mind seeing trailers since I look forward to seeing good ones like Chronicles of Narnia before SW's EP3 but the whole "The Twenty" advertising thing before the movie kind-of wrecks the theater experience for me.

I am all for the market-place pushing it as far as the market can bear but hopefully hollywood and theater owners will soon realize they pushed it too far and the better fix their problems quick because there is too much competition in the alternative entertainment industry now.

Just as the music industry blamed their problems on p2p networks instead of their insistance of pushing crappy recycled music the movie industry will recycle the same old argument as their profit tank as well.

All the big movies this summer/fall will either be sequels or remakes of books, tv shows, and even older movies done just a few decades ago so some fresh new ideas wouldn't hurt.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Mass media is creating a highly personal entertainment sphere. Just look at the number of phones/radios/TVs in a community today. Used to be one per town, then household, then person, and now it's multiple units per person (depending on venue)...

This drift towards entertainment and leisure as a generally personal (private) experience has a lot of profound implications. Urban planning, vacationing, consumer trends... For our purposes here it means that people are more willing to spend money on content and delivery tech that they can control personally rather than pay for a shared experience. We are becoming introverts.

Industries that want to keep us coming to public venues have the challenge of offering a compelling argument in favor of public venues.

Why do people go to concerts, plays, sporting events, galleries?

Adrenalin, business, social call?

Can Cinema be adapted to those uses?

The product is only part of the problem. The delivery mechanism might need a redesign...
  • Reply 17 of 65
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

All the big movies this summer/ all will either be sequels or remakes of books, tv shows, and even older movies done just a few decades ago so some fresh new ideas wouldn't hurt.

When I last went to the movies someone mentioned every single trailer was for a remake or the movie of a book. I have to agree that that's probably the big one for me. I used to go to the movies tons but these days...there's just nothing to see.

I also agree that of course the MPAA will blame P2P. Could never be them, oh no they must be doing great work
  • Reply 18 of 65
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

I also agree that of course the MPAA will blame P2P. Could never be them, oh no they must be doing great work

Hollywood is beginning to lose me. Not only was I charged $9.50 for my last movie but they had the nerve to force me to watch an anti-piracy advertisement.

How does that make sense? You just charged me $10 and now you're telling me not to pirate. You're speaking to the wrong people idiots. I'm sitting there thinking "damn...you mean I could have downloaded this movie and saved myself $19?"

Bright Hollywood...real bright.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The anti-piracy ad was for all those shmoes who take their camcorders into the theater with them. "Just a reminder: What you are about to do is ILLEGAL!"
  • Reply 20 of 65
    groovergroover Posts: 29member
    I agree that there are many factors that are contributing to movie ticket sales slump. I think price is a large part in conjunction with concessions. Home Theater is probably the biggest reason. I mean DVD sales are huge. Also the social life part is ending I mean with the commercials and disruptive audience at times. When I go out on a date a restaurant is a much better choice and alternative entertainment. Video Games must be creating an impact on movies. I mean the Video Game Industry has surpassed the Movie Industry. I went to a dinner movie theater it was great. the seats were spaced out and they also played old movies as well as new. It was nice to be able to order a beer and real meal. It was a treat to get there early as they would play short films and other shows related to the theme of the feature. The atmosphere before the film was great. The theater was the Alamo Theater in Austin TX visiting a friend.