Reason 3.0 & PowerMac G5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone here uses either Reason 2.5 or preferably Reason 3.0 with their PowerMac G5, and how good or bad it runs it?

I have a PowerMac G5 1.6 Ghz with 1.5 GB Ram and I'm buying version 3.0 in a few weeks. Can anyone give me an idea of how many units in the rack are possible with such a setup?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I have a 1.25GHz G4 (1GB RAM) and Reason 2.5 runs flawlessly on my machine (Tiger v10.4.1). I'm sure you will have absolutely no problems on a G5.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G520incher

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone here uses either Reason 2.5 or preferably Reason 3.0 with their PowerMac G5, and how good or bad it runs it?

I have a PowerMac G5 1.6 Ghz with 1.5 GB Ram and I'm buying version 3.0 in a few weeks. Can anyone give me an idea of how many units in the rack are possible with such a setup?

Thanks.

f8ckloads. trust me, i have tried reason 2.5 with powermac g5 single 1.6ghz 1st gen

the exact same reason file brought my dual 1.25ghz g4 512mb ram to it's knees (CPU meter 100%)

the powermac g5 1.6ghz SINGLE... ran it at like 20%, almost saying to me, "is this the best ya got???"

if you are maxing out your CPU with reason 3.0 on your powermac g5, umm i think you gotta rethink your rack setup,

in any case i got lost after 20 racks or so, not be cause of software, but because of my own limitations remembering what went where and what song i was trying to make in the first place!!!

edit: reason 3.0's combinator should help one keep track of rack sets though, which should be cool

• Reply 3 of 7
    Thank you very much for the responses. That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I just bought Reason 2.5 this weekend at a discounted price along with an M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller. Haven't been home yet to try them out but really looking forward to it.

I figure I will upgrade at a later time to 3.0 because I am interested in the Combinator and the new mastering tools. For now though, getting used to the program and what I can do with it should keep me busy for a while.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by G520incher

Thank you very much for the responses. That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I just bought Reason 2.5 this weekend at a discounted price along with an M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller. Haven't been home yet to try them out but really looking forward to it.

I figure I will upgrade at a later time to 3.0 because I am interested in the Combinator and the new mastering tools. For now though, getting used to the program and what I can do with it should keep me busy for a while.

sweet

enjoy. your powermac g5 internal soundcard supports 24-bit 48khz so make sure you run at those settings in reason as well (you'll know what i mean once you fool around with all the settings and it calibrates your soundcard etc)

24-bit 48khz + reason 2.5 + m-audio oxygen = f8cking sweet mate. enjoy.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible here because I've tried everything I can think of, I've checked all the manuals, and I've contacted Propellerhead Software, M-Audio & the store I bought it from. (waiting for responses)

I figured I would try in here in case anyone has run into these problems and maybe it is an OSX 10.2.8 issue only?

I'm on a PowerMac G5 single 1.6 Ghz with 1.5 GB Ram, running OSX 10.2.8 Jaguar.

I have an M-Audio Oxygen 8 usb/midi controller and Reason 2.5 freshly installed.

My usb 2.0 ports work fine. I have downloaded the latest drivers for the Oxygen 8 off the website and installed them, with no obvious problems, besides the fact they don't seem to work.

There is enough power going to my controller through the usb connection. In my audio/midi folder when scanning for midi devices, none show up, even when restarting the computer. This is while the controller is connected to the computer and is powered on.

I have reinstalled the drivers about ten times now, even following to the letter what tech support at M-audio recommends.

In the Reason preferences under midi, - port: my only option is "No midi Input" and the channel button underneath is grayed out. (The grayed out section is to set the midi channel for the sequencer within Reason so I can then assign the controller to the internal software instruments)

No matter what I do I cannot get my mac to even recognize that my controller is connected to it, and in reason I have no options to use it. Nothing on the controller works (keys, knobs, sliders) in regards to Reason. I have set the midi channel to 1, gone up & down in octaves, tested each function with the midi/select button...Everything on the controller seems to work fine for setting it up, but it still produces no sound in Reason.

Any and All help is REALLY appreciated. I have no idea what I might be doing wrong, but the salesman at the store said setup is simple and I would only need a usb connection...I just want to start writing music.

Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Hey all,

Ignore my previous post. The head of the recording dept. of the store where I bought everything, just emailed me back and said that in fact they had an Oxygen 8 there that was hooked up through midi to their pro tools setup, and that the usb portion of it doesn't work. He came in this morning to find that it was gone and figured one of the sales guys sold it without knowing it was messed up.

I'm the one he sold it to. They are giving me a brand new controller when I go back in this weekend. So I have to sit tight for a week. At least I know whats wrong now. It sucked not knowing.

Thanks for all the help guys.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    hang in there dude, good luck...