Alternative Terminal Apps

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm getting sick of Terminal.app.

Are there any good alternatives? Among my pet peeves:

1) Double-clicking text doesn't highlight the whole file.

2) Highlighting text doesn't add it to the clipboard.

3) etc....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    1) it is simply following the standard MacOS X behavior. If you want a whole path try double clicking on the last "word" in the path, then shift clicking on the first character you want. There is value in the consistency, and I find the way it selects text on a double click to usually be what I want (whereas windows is always a fight to get rid of things I don't want... and I never know what I am going to get on other *nix systems).

2) see #1... this is not X-11. I only what things in the clipboard when I put them there. I do a lot of text manipulation and it is sometimes nice to cut some text, highlight other text to do a drag on it, and then paste back in the old text. This is a behavior thing...

3)... there is no third step?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I agree... I want OS X text and mouse behaviours in Terminal.

When FireFox didn't handle text entry the same as other Mac apps I was aggravated and I'd be even more so if Terminal copied everything anytime I selected some text.

If you really want these behaviors though, why not just get some X-Windows based terminal? Or maybe you should write your own?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Try http://www.pollet.net/GLterm/

I think you can also use tn3720 as well.

Terminal is quite okay. Not quite putty but a hell of a lot better than MS terminal.

BTW, All terminal app developers, I hate when I highlight something and it goes to clipboard. This is what apple c + v and ctrl c + v are for.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Try http://www.pollet.net/GLterm/

I think you can also use tn3720 as well.

Terminal is quite okay. Not quite putty but a hell of a lot better than MS terminal.

BTW, All terminal app developers, I hate when I highlight something and it goes to clipboard. This is what apple c + v and ctrl c + v are for.

Dobby.

I develop on a Linux server every day at work. I'm used to double clicking and hightlighting the entire file or directory . When I log in at home and don't get the same behaviour, it's frustrating.

Apple should give me the ability to choose the behaviour I want.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

1) it is simply following the standard MacOS X behavior. If you want a whole path try double clicking on the last "word" in the path, then shift clicking on the first character you want. There is value in the consistency, and I find the way it selects text on a double click to usually be what I want (whereas windows is always a fight to get rid of things I don't want... and I never know what I am going to get on other *nix systems).

2) see #1... this is not X-11. I only what things in the clipboard when I put them there. I do a lot of text manipulation and it is sometimes nice to cut some text, highlight other text to do a drag on it, and then paste back in the old text. This is a behavior thing...

3)... there is no third step?

So within your wonderful OS X copy-paste behaviour, is it possible for me to move from one word to the next?

In a normal x-term, I'd do alt-F (next word) or alt-B (previous word). No, Option-Left and Option-Right don't work in Terminal.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Perhaps the easiest thing might be to download and compile an X11 terminal application that behaves in the way you want.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    JavaCowboy:

I've found that iTerm.app works great.

1) I don't know how you would change this though... in iTerm double click selects a word and triple click selects the line though. You can right click (or ctrl + left click) for a menu with select all in it. Or just use Command + a.

2) There is a preference for 'Selection copies text to clipboard' that allows you to do this.

3) Profit?

Quote:

In a normal x-term, I'd do alt-F (next word) or alt-B (previous word). No, Option-Left and Option-Right don't work in Terminal.

You have to fool around with OS X to get this working. Normally Linux distros have a /etc/inputrc file... OS X doesn't. I have my own .inputrc file to do this.

Code:

"\\e[1~": beginning-of-line

"\\e[4~": end-of-line

"\\e[5C": forward-word

"\\e[5D": backward-word

"\\e[3~": delete-char

Those escape chars have to match the keyboard profile that iTerm is using. You can fool around with the default profiles or create your own. Currently forward-word and backword-word aren't working for me. I tried to set them up for ctrl+left or ctrl+right but it didn't work and I didn't spend too much more time on it. I found the info for this on macosxhints.com using google about 3-4 weeks ago.

My only complaint is that while in a screen session on a linux box (over ssh) 'delete' is interpreted as a 'delete' instead of a backspace. Though in a direct shell this problem doesn't exist. But I've had this problem since I started using OS X. Either it treats 'delete' as a delete instead of backspace or it gives me a system beep because it doesn't know what to do with it. But that's really another topic.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks, dude.

I just installed iTerm via DarwinPorts. I'll give it a shot.

Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

JavaCowboy:

I've found that iTerm.app works great.

1) I don't know how you would change this though... in iTerm double click selects a word and triple click selects the line though. You can right click (or ctrl + left click) for a menu with select all in it. Or just use Command + a.

2) There is a preference for 'Selection copies text to clipboard' that allows you to do this.

3) Profit?

You have to fool around with OS X to get this working. Normally Linux distros have a /etc/inputrc file... OS X doesn't. I have my own .inputrc file to do this.

Code:

"\\e[1~": beginning-of-line

"\\e[4~": end-of-line

"\\e[5C": forward-word

"\\e[5D": backward-word

"\\e[3~": delete-char

Those escape chars have to match the keyboard profile that iTerm is using. You can fool around with the default profiles or create your own. Currently forward-word and backword-word aren't working for me. I tried to set them up for ctrl+left or ctrl+right but it didn't work and I didn't spend too much more time on it. I found the info for this on macosxhints.com using google about 3-4 weeks ago.

My only complaint is that while in a screen session on a linux box (over ssh) 'delete' is interpreted as a 'delete' instead of a backspace. Though in a direct shell this problem doesn't exist. But I've had this problem since I started using OS X. Either it treats 'delete' as a delete instead of backspace or it gives me a system beep because it doesn't know what to do with it. But that's really another topic.