what's the phd-student salary in US?

:-):-)
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi

Reason for asking is I've been discussing my options with my professor, and he suggested doing a phd (currently doing a masters). However we haven't really discussed the financial side of things, and since I'm not from here (US) I don't really know "the system". I tried looking around on the internet, but no numbers came up.

I realise that there's no fixed amount, but I'd like to know what range I would be expecting, to see if it compares with my living standards

thanks

;-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Forget about the money. It's a beautiful pastoral existence, cash poor, but beautiful. So long as your bursary + TA/RA pays enough for rent and food (and tuition), study what you love, be happy. If you're going to incur some debt along the way, think about the exit. At what point along your candidacy can you start making real money (a living wage) while still studying? And if a good job comes along, are you willing to leave your program for a while, or go part time, while you advance your career?

If you want a career in academe, then you know what you have to do. Stay close to the best people. Do good work. As much money as can come, will come, based almost exclusively your work and its supporters. If a recognized authority in the field says your work counts, chances are others will listen and open doors to you. I think good work will rise anyway, but it's easier when you forge some relationship with more highly acclaimed people.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    davechendavechen Posts: 56member
    Here's a page about the financial support at the department I went to, UNC computer science:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/WhyJoinUs/Grad...dmissions.html

I was there a long time ago, but the assistantship money was generally enough to live on, if you didn't live extravagently.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    While I understand what you're saying, the salary is just one of the many issues I'm considering. I would like to make a better comparison to my other options, e.g. getting the Ph.D. from Denmark, where the salary would be approx. $45k/yr. (mind you taxes are a lot higher).

I am well aware that I shouldn't expect anything like that in the US, and money wouldn't be my motivation to stay here. Rather the field of study, the academic level and being able to work with the best in the field, would drive me to stay.

I guess what I really want to know is whether I'm going to starve and not buy any new clothes (or computers) for the next five years?

Hope this makes sense.

thanks

:-)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by :-)

I guess what I really want to know is whether I'm going to starve and not buy any new clothes (or computers) for the next five years?

Hope this makes sense.

thanks

The thing is, if you're clever and a little bit risky, you can make more than 40k per year as secondary income without doing very much. You just need to find how to do it, and it varies from area to area. For example, if you live in central-eastern florida, you should be buying slots in residential developments. If you live near an international airport, there's also a lot to be said for import-export. Since you have Danish connections, you could become a supplier of esoteric Danish goods. There is always something that someone in America wants, but can't get it over the net for various reasons. It doesn't take much time (a few hours per week) to make a decent supplimentary income this way. . . (I used to do it).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    It depends on a number of factors: your department and its budget, your university and its endowment, what kind of deal you're able to get from the department (tuition waivers, fellowships, etc).

My takehome pay when I graduated with my PhD was about $1000 a month.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    thank you for your replies. I'll be debating this over the next week or so and decide whether to take the "plunge", but right now I'm leaning towards a few more years here...

Inputs regarding what to be aware of (I guess health insurance should be included?) are most welcome.

Thanks guys

• Reply 7 of 7
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by :-)

thank you for your replies. I'll be debating this over the next week or so and decide whether to take the "plunge", but right now I'm leaning towards a few more years here...

Inputs regarding what to be aware of (I guess health insurance should be included?) are most welcome.

Thanks guys

I would be stunned if anything other than "health insurance" (imagine me making quotations makes in the air) were included as a real part of any PhD program in the US.