When Will 500GB Hard Drives Be Available?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Dear Friends

Do any of you know when the 500GB hard drives will be available? In January Hitachi announced a new 500GB drive, but, to the best of my knowledge, it's still not available.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'm wondering what's taking them so long as well. They already have the capability to go well beyond a half TB.

Seagate will offer 133MB per platter soon

So they are just 2 platters away from 665MB. My guess is that the drive makers want to slow things down a bit and restore some profitability. Plus everyone is looking at new interfaces like 3Gbps SATA to make inroads into SMB and Enterprise storage markets.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    at my workplace, i've seen a 500gb firewire drive from lacie...I think it was called BigDisk or something of the sort
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

at my workplace, i've seen a 500gb firewire drive from lacie...I think it was called BigDisk or something of the sort

That's 2x 250GB drives spanned together.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    supertedsuperted Posts: 41member
    The LaCie Bigger Disk Extreme is now up to 2TB, so 4 500GB drives in a RAID array. They must be getting around somewhere.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superted

The LaCie Bigger Disk Extreme is now up to 2TB, so 4 500GB drives in a RAID array. They must be getting around somewhere.

It's not available yet though.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    supertedsuperted Posts: 41member
    Ah.

Touché.....

Well, at least we know they're coming then.