Dash Widget Development Q

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was thinking of learing all the stuff for making a dashboard widget, but before I do, I want to know if what I want to make is possible. Can a widget make another widget (or window) for displaying more information temporarily. I would like to make a widget that can display comics from that day. I want to make a menu like something like this:

That would be what the main widget looks like, and then the user can click on the individual comics and it would come up in another little window (inside of Dashboard, not on the desktop.)

I'm wondering, because I have never seen any widget that does this type of thing.

This is the best way to do it because otherwise each comic would have to be it own widget (full size,) and it would take up way too much space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nttntt Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

Can a widget make another widget (or window) for displaying more information temporarily. I would like to make a widget that can display comics from that day.

AFAIK you cannot create another widget.

What you could do is create another div area that is separated by a space from the original widget. If you apply a separate background to this then it will appear like a completely separate widget, except that all of the comics and the main widget will move together when you drag.

In theory, I believe that is possible, and there is more that could be done to make it even more usable (dragging the divs separately) but the amount of additional javascript increases exponentially.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    whiterabbitwhiterabbit Posts: 208member
    All right. Thanks for the info. I guess I will look into moving different div areas then.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Better hurry. Seems like other developers are on the same case.