HoTMaiL getting suckier by the day.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Everyone who uses hotmail must have a good reason, probably personal. Otherwise there's no explaining its continued existence. In the past four or five months the services they offer have been deteriorating at Maxell Commercial speeds.

1. Trendmicro sucking it up, false positives, etc.

2. Eliminating free POP access.

3. I have to do their cruddy Turing test (which I often fail ) every three messages I send out. And this account is several years old.

4. And the latest: You can no longer search message content!!! Only To, From and Subject fields? WTF?

I'm sure there are more recent ones, on top of the existing unpersonalizable interface (why can't I automatically save copies of outgoing mails?). What's going on here? Why put all their eggs in the subscription basket? Anyone know what the free webmail rankings are like, how they compare to yahoo, etc?

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    What is #3? It may just be me, but I have no clue what you are talking about.

Other than that, yea, it is showing signs of ultimate digital suckiness.

EDIT: I should add that even though I do have a hotmail account, I only use it to register with sites that don't need to know who I am. And for spam.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    ichiban_jayichiban_jay Posts: 660member
    and that's why I switched to gmail. I used to use hotmail mainly because you could access it for free with outlook/entourage/Mail... But it's just becoming suck. I can't live with hotmail's web interface because it is so clunky, ad laden, and slow. Gmail's web based access is so much more peppier and GmailStatus allows me to set it has my default email program so that if I click a "send email" link it works effortlessly with web based gmail...
  • Reply 3 of 21
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Gmail is a dream come true. I absolutely love it. I used to have Hotmail, and it was fine at the time, but now... I don't know...
  • Reply 4 of 21
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    anyone else here remember when hotmail WASN'T owned by microsoft? those were the good ol' days...
  • Reply 5 of 21
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Gmail is a dream come true. I absolutely love it. I used to have Hotmail, and it was fine at the time, but now... I don't know...

I agree. Am totally sold on gmail. Sometimes the "conversations" get confused a little, but what do you want from a prepetual ßeta...At least you don't have to load 4 new windows to send an email and return to the inbox.

Ebby...As for the Turing Test, it's really a misnomer, but I don't know how else to describe it. But it looks something like this and you have to type in what you see (50 points if you recognize the site this is from!).

Also, Ebby, check this out: bugmenot.com. No more registering with a bunk email address!! Now you'll have no excuse to hold onto that hotmail acct.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 21
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Hotmail has been getting worse... and I have also unfortunately abandoned it in favor of Gmail.

I had my account since 1996 for chrissake

I actually still use it because obviously after 7-8 years, people from many many years ago still send you stuff there

Regarding downloading the mail

Entourage still lets you download your Hotmail. There is also a plugin for MacOS X Mail called Httpmail (look on versiontracker.com) that works too.

Emptying your Junk mail via Safari finally works after a year (and reporting them as spam).

I had to go through a draconian mess to get 250MB upgrade. Too bad Gmail is at 2.3GB of space now

I use my Hotmail address for MSN Messenger though... still have about 200 contacts there. MSN Messenger is by FAR the most used IM in Europe. AIM is unknown here... as just about every other service.

Skype is catching on quite quickly though...

I've NEVER had a "turing" test... thats weird...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Entourage still lets you download your Hotmail. There is also a plugin for MacOS X Mail called Httpmail (look on versiontracker.com) that works too.

I brought this up in another thread, that if you've been using your hotmail acct. like a pop account, then you can continue to do so, but cannot with a new account, or even an old one you've never accessed before in that way. I have two hotmail accts, one works with httpmail and the other doesn't, precisely because of this. Try it with an account you've never used before.

rockwell_x said " It caused huge outcry at the time, when originally they wanted to stop ALL accounts, old and new from getting free email client access, so they tempered their intentions with making it so that only new accounts can't do this free of charge."

--B
  • Reply 8 of 21
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    a mac user with hotmail
  • Reply 9 of 21
    aha... didnt know that.

I know they stopped free POP access a LONG time ago.

But Entourage has a special "New Account" setting just for Hotmail users. I've always used that and usually never have problems. I'm just mirroring them though. When I delete from my local, it deletes online as well.

Anyway, Gmail is my main mail by far now.

I can't believe I've actually managed to fill 2GB of mail already...

They insist on not throwing anything away... so I dont!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I'm very happy with my Yahoo account.

My wife has Hotmail but hates it so much she is leaving it.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

aha... didnt know that.

I know they stopped free POP access a LONG time ago.

But Entourage has a special "New Account" setting just for Hotmail users. I've always used that and usually never have problems. I'm just mirroring them though. When I delete from my local, it deletes online as well.

Anyway, Gmail is my main mail by far now.

I can't believe I've actually managed to fill 2GB of mail already...

They insist on not throwing anything away... so I dont!!!!

2 GB? In ONE hotmail account? I still have as much space in the hotmail account than in had in 1996 or so ... lousy 2 MB. I've seen the ads they'd have upgraded it long ago, but my reasons for hotmail's suckiness cintains for sure the 2 MB of space Ilast time I did check tbe space there was today(.

Second reason is that since I've used the hotmail acct basically for only subrciptions abd such, 99 % of the mails is spam. That shows however the only NICE thing with hotmails: deleting stuff and sowing them as spam is easy -- however spam filter is "interesting" since any real emails I ever get end up in the spam filtered box, and all V1agr4, (1al1s, and aaaaall the classic sort of spams keep flooding inbox.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Worst thing about gmail is that it's so easy to reply--what with the reply field right there at the bottom--that I send off millions of these crappy one-line responses without thinking, as if it were a chat or something. If email has degraded traditional letters, gmail has degraded even emails...

--B
  • Reply 13 of 21
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

[B]2 GB? In ONE hotmail account?/B]

(That's a 2GB Gmail account, not Hotmail. But still my hotmail account is 250MB)
  • Reply 14 of 21
    if you want to upgrade your Hotmail account to 250MB do the following...

Trust me, it works. I did it for my two accounts.

Quote:

Just in case some of you are still stuck with a 2MB Hotmail account, here's a quick easy way to upgrade instantly:

All you have to do is to turn off Messenger and sign up in your Hotmail

account. Go to "options/personal" and then "My profile". Change your country

code to USA and pick one of the states. Example: California and use "90210"

as the zip code. After you change this, go to update and then continue.

While you are still logged into Hotmail go here

<http://by17fd.bay17.hotmail.msn.com/...n/Accountclose> and deactivate

your account. (Don't worry - all your mails will remain safe.)

Now simply login again with your username and password and you will

automatically re-activate your account. When you log in you will see that

you already have a 25MB account which will be upgraded to 250MB in a few

days.

• Reply 15 of 21
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i retain my hotmail account:

a.) because i got it early enough to have a sensible address

and

b.) i will not allow microsoft to force me abandon the account, no matter how sucky they get. they can crank that account down to 800k and i will REQUIRE them to maintain my address until the end of friggin' time.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Anyone else finding that signing out is failing a whole lot (using Camino, at least) since last week when they changed this particular function?

Getting a lot more X than ✓.

--B
  • Reply 17 of 21
    It's getting worse.

The Sent Mail folder deletes all messages after 30 days. If you want a message you send for posterity you have to CC yourself or move it clumsily from one folder to another.

There's a new feature which allows you to display mail from everyone, from known senders only or from unknown senders only. Very useful considering the amount of junk mail on hotmail and the shittiness of the filters.

Check this: "250MB inbox available only in the 50 United States, District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. Eligible Hotmail users will first receive 25MB at sign-up. Please allow at least 30 days for activation of your 250MB storage to verify your e-mail account and help prevent abuse. Microsoft Corporation reserves the right to provide 250MB inbox to free Hotmail accounts at its discretion."

Wow. Tight-wads even with the trifle they give you.

--B
  • Reply 18 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Gmail is absolutely awesome. I really don't understand why they're still making new users play the invite game, it seems absolutely stable.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    and THE MOST PATHETIC THING OF ALL is that when you used to sign in, you could type in your user name and tab to the password. hotmail would fill in the "@hotmail.com" automatically.

Not any more. You have to type "@hotmail.com" manually every time you sign in.

Brilliant.

--B
  • Reply 20 of 21
    rara Posts: 623member
    Just wanted to say I have about 100 invites for gmail... anyone who wants one, send me a pm.

[edit - pm me your email and I'll send you an invite]