How to crash Spotlight!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I heard that the .php crash has to do with it being set to open in DW and not a default text app.

All my .php files are set to open in BBEdit, the best text editor in the world!
  • Reply 22 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

you have to do it in finder and then press option-i

I just did that from the Spotlight window, and it hasn't crashed yet. Still opening windows.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    OK I take back what I said - the string with php in it causes the Spotlight window to display the spinning "searching" icon, and the process "mds" takes 95% CPU. Clicking the "x" next to the Spotlight search field stops the spinning "searching" icon, but mds is still using 95% CPU.

Anyone reported this to bugreporter.apple.com yet?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    code mastercode master Posts: 344member
    It also crashes when one of your hard drives has corrupted files on it. If I let my search go too long and the icons start filling in, it crashes. It's understandable but then I lose all my search results including the good ones.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Anyone reported this to bugreporter.apple.com yet?

I have, they requested a sample of the mds process when it was hung up, which I sent. Also it was marked as duplicate, so someone else submitted it before I did.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

I have, they requested a sample of the mds process when it was hung up, which I sent. Also it was marked as duplicate, so someone else submitted it before I did.

Excellent. Now we just have to find out what secret key that angle-bracket/question mark is to Spotlight. It is obviously special-casing that combo.