Yahoo! Music Unlimited

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I don't remember saying anything different.

Yes. And?

Eh... what now?

You said that iTunes only supports the iPod. Which is wrong. It supports a large variety of portable devices.

However, the iTunes Music Store's protected AAC only plays on iPod portables, which maybe you meant.

So it's the lack of support for Apple's DRM'd downloads that is the issue. However, confusing these matters seems to a favourite sport of WMA supporters, calling iPod owners theives because they couldn't afford to have bought an iPod worth of tunes from iTMS, clueless journos claiming that you can't put music from any source but iTMS on iPods, people assuming that anything Apple does is proprietary and locked down even when it's actually an internationally agreed standard like AAC/MP4. All FUD to make people think twice about buying an iPod and help allow one dodgy DRM system to take marketshare away from another DRM system, not the triumph of open interoperability that it is portrayed as.

For people who buy CDs (like me), buy non-DRM'd downloads (like me) or download music from P2P the incompatabilities of various DRMs are a non-issue. In fact it's just one more annoyance that makes it easier to steal than to pay for stuff, because when you pay you just get grief, from Apple and everyone else.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

who would want to rent music anyway?

Same people who rent housing, lease cars, pay cable/satellite bills, etc?

Or the same people (granted none on this board) who bought LPs, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, and then SACD/DVD-A version of the song? The digital version of this may if in 2006 Apple releases H.264-M, an audio codec that is 5x better than AAC, so that one can put 10,000 songs on one's iPod and to sve space - you have to buy it again. Three years later, Apple annouces "HEAR" - a codec that is lossless 10-100 kHz, with dynamic range of over 150dB and all in 0.1 MB per minute - you will have to buy it again. Repeat and you get the point.

No one's forcing you to go with subscription model but to question it EVERY TIME it comes up for discussion is pretty lame.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Well the software seems to be essentially MusicMatch Jukebox.

Not really. Read the developer's blog here: http://www.fistfulayen.com/MT/
  • Reply 24 of 39
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

When is this technology going to be released? It sounds awesome!

It's available NOW at your local retailer!
  • Reply 25 of 39
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It's available NOW at your local retailer!

yup, and for the poor bastards in australia that's pretty much their only LEGAL music purchase avenue - CDs and Vinyl
  • Reply 26 of 39
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

Not really. Read the developer's blog here: http://www.fistfulayen.com/MT/

Interesting. But Yahoo! owns MusicMatch, don't they? I don't think their developers would make public calls to ditch MusicMatch if Yahoo! Music Engine isn't just a souped-up MusicMatch, with the $5 thingy added.

Though I've no evidence to back this up clearly. So I'm changing my first observation.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Quote:

Take your argument and replace "business failure" with "hard drive failure".

You know this is my one beef with itms. I'm sure they are keeping a record of everything I've bought on my account. I see no reason why they couldn't let me re-download everything I've purchased if I had a drive failure. I'd even be willing to pay a fee if this happened.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

You know this is my one beef with itms. I'm sure they are keeping a record of everything I've bought on my account. I see no reason why they couldn't let me re-download everything I've purchased if I had a drive failure. I'd even be willing to pay a fee if this happened.

there is a rumor going that they are considering offering just such a thing...
  • Reply 29 of 39
    click for complete list of portable devices that support Yahoo! Music Unlimited

There's two (that's 2) iPod mini wannabes, and one (that's 1) iPod-alike. That's almost too much choice.

There's also a phone, a couple of video jukeboxes, and things that do a third of what the Airport Express does at three times the price, (edit: and a PDA with 128MB of storage)

(second edit: apparently through the magic of firmware updates the Dell versions of the iPod mini and iPod will also work)
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

if Yahoo! Music Engine isn't just a souped-up MusicMatch, with the $5 thingy added.

It's not. I would encourage everyone to try it out however, it is not Mac compatible.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Apple needs to get a iPod/Phone/PDA. Maybe call it Newton, or something. \ Have it be light and simple to use but very powerful. Then watch them beat a path to the Apple door. That would keep the subscription junkies away.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Did I miss something or am I just the first to post about this?

Over 1 million songs.

$5/mth (or $7)

$.79 to burn a song

Works with some portable music players (not the iPod, of course)

It has the Beatles.

Sounds pretty damned awesome.

Can you really buy Beatles tracks?
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Can you really buy Beatles tracks?

I am trying it now. It has it but can't be streamed or bought. Maybe I am not doing something right. Still testing...
  • Reply 34 of 39
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

It's not. I would encourage everyone to try it out however, it is not Mac compatible.

I just tried MusicMatch Jukebox 10 too, and it feels so bloated and slow compared to Yahoo! Music Engine.

You're right, they can't be the same thing.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I am absolutely loving this. $60 for a year is a damned steal.

I just have a bunch of playlists with random stuff I grab off their library and stream it all in the background. It's an Internet radio station with 1 million songs to choose from.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    I am liking it too. No, the UI does not beat iTunes or iPod. But it can stream over internet or play downloaded tunes when not connected. I have no need to burn songs and even though I do not have a compatible player (I have an iPod) but the thought of putting on the player music from a large library (instead of just music I own) sounds good to me.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    You traitors!!!!

Just kidding. I'm a believer in the subscription model. Primarily because it doesn't have to be either/or. There are some songs you'll listen to only at home. The price is nice too bad it's just an introductory period. I'd like to see subscriptions at about $8 a month. That's still $5 a month cheaper than Sat Radio.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

I am absolutely loving this. $60 for a year is a damned steal.

I just have a bunch of playlists with random stuff I grab off their library and stream it all in the background. It's an Internet radio station with 1 million songs to choose from.

can you browse the library BEFORE signing up? just wondering because i'm too lazy to try it out... i guess it don't work with Macs? just curious too...
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'd like to see subscriptions at about $8 a month.

I don't get it. Y! Unlimited is $60 for a year so that's $5 a month. $5! For that price is definitely worth trying. Even if you do not prepay for a year's worth, it's $7 a month.

Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

can you browse the library BEFORE signing up? just wondering because i'm too lazy to try it out... i guess it don't work with Macs? just curious too...

Unfortunately no. It does allow a 7 day free trial period which I think is lame (too many people may forget to call and cancel before 7 days).

It does not work on Macs beciase DRMed* WMA does not work on Macs.

* I have not encountered any problems with the DRM but I also have not transferred the files onto a portable media player (have an iPod).