menu/desktop Mail notification

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Since I hide my dock, I don't always know if I have new email (sound off or I've stepped away for a few minutes). Is there anything out there that shows new mail in either the menu bar or a pop-up on the desktop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

Since I hide my dock, I don't always know if I have new email (sound off or I've stepped away for a few minutes). Is there anything out there that shows new mail in either the menu bar or a pop-up on the desktop?

First, Mail cannot notify you of anything if it is not running. So, you have to start it up. Then go to Mail > Preferences.... Click the General tab. The third popup menu reads: New mail sound:. Choose anything other than None.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    no, I'm looking for a visual cue, other than the red splash on the dock icon (which I have hidden).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Install Growl and the Mail.app plug-in for it. If you set the 'sticky' status on a particular type of notification it will stay on-screen until you click on it. Otherwise it will just pop-up and fade away after a second or two. (Adium has Growl support built-in).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Thanks - reading the Growl website though, it doesn't sound like it'll work with 10.4.1.

I also found this,

http://www.squeaksoft.com/products/MailCountX/
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    jasonfj

Quote:

Thanks - reading the Growl website though, it doesn't sound like it'll work with 10.4.1.

I also found this,

http://www.squeaksoft.com/products/MailCountX/

Growl + Adium 0.81 works fine for me on 10.4.1 at home. I don't know about the Mail.app plugin because I don't run it at home.

Reading their site... it looks like Growl 0.6.2 doesn't work with Mail.app in 10.4.1, but if you look at the GrowlMail plugin page there are instructions in getting Mail 2.0.1 (the Mail.app version in 10.4.1) to work with GrowlMail. That and the fact that Growl is now at version 0.7.