Report: 2GB and 4GB iPod shuffles in the works

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    I envision the new iPod shuffle as... a device with the iPod mini's popular form factor but instead of the hard drive they fill it up with flash-memory so it's probably slimmer. However, I already own an iPod mini and it's hard to think things could slim down even more.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/05/04.4.shtml

The shuffle has 58% market share in flash players, and (from what I have seen) the 1GB model sells better than the 512MB model.

Not true. The 1GB sales slowed down appreciably. The 512 model outsells it by a good margin.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

I just don't see it happening. It's already takes forever to fill up the 512mb. It would take like an hour to fill up a 4gb.

try using the USB2 port on your computer. That might help u a lot...
  • Reply 24 of 47
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Not true. The 1GB sales slowed down appreciably. The 512 model outsells it by a good margin.

How do you know?
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

How do you know?

The various tracking services have stated so. The analysts have also mentioned it.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    I think what Apple may do is discontinue the 512MB shuffle model and offer up the 1GB model for $99. A 2GB model would then be $149. mini would be untouched.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    As an owner of a 512MB Shuffle (my first Apple product purchase in fact), I have to say that it is exactly what I was looking for as a university student on a tight budget - light, small, ultra-portable, decent amount of storage (about 6 hours of music with 192k MP3 encoding), and very economical.

Longer term, I would probably like to buy a higher capacity iPod, but they were out of my price range (since I have to dilligently "donate" nearly all of my extra cashflow to the university...).
  • Reply 28 of 47
    I would love to see a thin Mini...
  • Reply 29 of 47
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

I think what Apple may do is discontinue the 512MB shuffle model and offer up the 1GB model for $99. A 2GB model would then be $149. mini would be untouched.

I'd hope they still offered the 512 MB model at a reduced price: $70 for 512 MB or $100 for 1 GB.

Getting people using iPods generally gets them locked in to keep using iTunes and iPod. For this reason, a super low-cost option is a great idea. Plus its one more way for potential switchers to try out Apple products at a very approachable price point.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

try using the USB2 port on your computer. That might help u a lot...

You're assuming he has a USB 2.0 port. Given that it takes so long, I'd say his ports are USB 1.1, like my Powerbook. Which is one reason I haven't bought a shuffle.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Atomic Media Fonts

I would love to see a thin Mini...

Any thinner and it would cut your hand!

I am not someone who wants a Shuffle necessarily...I don't jog or workout and I like to change genres and playlists too much. It would be like having a Nokia cellphone Shuffle: "You can call people randomly or in alphabetical order!"

I also agree with others that it makes no sense to have 4GB of songs that you can't search or change playlists. I'd like to be able to at least choose humorous music, traveling music, podcasts and classical music in a small form factor. So some kind of gui would be nice. The 4 GB of mobile memory for files though, is something to think about! I have a feeling the Shuffle is just a stop-gap and will need to evolve abit.

As for the other iPods, I hope the rumors of increasing the numbers of formats and the possibility of streaming Apple lossless to stereos from the iPods are true.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

I just don't see it happening. It's already takes forever to fill up the 512mb. It would take like an hour to fill up a 4gb.

Which computer do you have? Do ypu have pci slots, or is it closed? If you have slots, get a USB2 board for $15. Any one will work.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

You're assuming he has a USB 2.0 port. Given that it takes so long, I'd say his ports are USB 1.1, like my Powerbook. Which is one reason I haven't bought a shuffle.

I figured he was filling his shuffle from his keyboard, which is a pretty normal mistake. If you don't have usb2, then buying a shuffle is pretty dumb.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

If you don't have usb2, then buying a shuffle is pretty dumb.

Depends how you use it. I only have USB, but what I have done is create a small playlist of 5 star songs. At the moment I have 175 songs in this playlist out of a possible 3033. This means when I reshuffle my shuffle I typically only have about 20-40 songs being swapped over.

When I have a bit more time I might add a few more to this playlist or create a few alternate shuffle playlists to suit my needs, but managed correctly a shuffle can be used on old skool technology.

I also a 30 gigger which has sat unused in my drawer for over two months. Who wooda thunk it?
  • Reply 35 of 47
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I have USB 2.0 and my shuffle fills up very slowly - a DivX movie took about 20 mins to copy and it was 700MB!
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I have USB 2.0 and my shuffle fills up very slowly - a DivX movie took about 20 mins to copy and it was 700MB!

and your sure your using the usb2 port? because some new macs, like the imac, have both usb1 & usb2 ports that look and are placed simmilar.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

The new iPod shuffle video

- the easiest way to enjoy your worst downloaded movies

- No Sound, No image

- 512 Mb for short to medium POS movies

- 1 Gb for full length prime time failure

8)
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

and your sure your using the usb2 port? because some new macs, like the imac, have both usb1 & usb2 ports that look and are placed simmilar.

There might not be anything wrong at all.

Don't forget that USB 2 can be much slower than Firewire. I've measured as much as a 40% slowdown when switching to USB 2. It's very dependent on the speed of the buss and cpu, whereas Firewire is not dependant on cpu speed, and has little dependance upon buss speed.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Is there no way to convert the USB 2.0 input on the shuffle to a firewire one?

Most apple computers that don't have USB 2.0 still have firewire.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Is there no way to convert the USB 2.0 input on the shuffle to a firewire one?

Most apple computers that don't have USB 2.0 still have firewire.

If you have USB 2 and Firewire you might be able to try a Firewire to UBS 2 converter cable, if there is one. I say that because there are Firewire to USB 1 cables, but I've not seen one for USB 2.

I also don't know how the Shuffle implements it's buss. I don't have one, so I can't test that.

I just went to Apple's site to check it out. I'm assuming that it IS USB2 "High Speed" rather than "Full Speed" because it doesn't say.

Have you tried to actually time a transfer of a known length? If you know that you are coming from a USB 2 High Speed connector you should be getting at least 20MBytes/sec throughput, but if you are using either 1.1 or Full Speed USB 2 (which is the same thing), you should get a least 1MByte/sec.