Should I get spyware/virus software for my PowerBook?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
(I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Genius Bar; sorry if I guessed the wrong place)

I've heard some contradictory information as to whether Macs need virus and spyware protection like PCs do. Some people have told me Macs are immune; others say that these protections are a very good idea. Should I invest in antivirus and anti-spyware software? If so, any recommendations? I used Spybot S&D and Norton Antivirus on my PC, but I'm open to new ideas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    While on your mac, you don't need virus software like you need it on the PC, and havn't been many (or any) large scale viruses in mac history, theoreticly, a terrible virus could be created. It seems rather pointless to me to get such software right now at least...maybe if viruses on macs become a problem. In addition, it is easy to not get a virus if you know what they look like (e.g. email attachments from people who you don't regonize or from people you know but with a weird message. If I were you I would skip on the virus protection, but if you really want it, you should take a look at these (in order):

VirusBarrier X 10.1.1

Virex 7.5.1 (McAfee)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    do not need to worry about spyware/virus. there's no (os x)spyware/virus yet.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by khkoo

do not need to worry about spyware/virus. there's no (os x)spyware/virus yet.

This is true...but do be aware that Mac OS X isn't virus/spyware proof; there actualy is spyware in some free mac os x programs that are floating around...they're just not nearly as prevelant as in the windows world.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

This is true...but do be aware that Mac OS X isn't virus/spyware proof; there actualy is spyware in some free mac os x programs that are floating around...they're just not nearly as prevelant as in the windows world.

Such as?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    There's nothing out there that can affect your Mac, yet.

However, you can (inadvertently) pass a virus to PC-using friends via email or sharing discs with the trojan/worm on them. In that sense, having an AV program is a good idea, because it prevents you from annoying your friends.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

There's nothing out there that can affect your Mac, yet.

However, you can (inadvertently) pass a virus to PC-using friends via email or sharing discs with the trojan/worm on them. In that sense, having an AV program is a good idea, because it prevents you from annoying your friends.

Incentive to switch.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Incentive to switch.

Lol. Bad idea. For example, that is like purposely destorying his girlfriend, because you don't like her and thinks he needs a better one. Bad analogy but owell.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

Lol. Bad idea. For example, that is like purposely destorying his girlfriend, because you don't like her and thinks he needs a better one. Bad analogy but owell.

I forgot the or was it a ?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ichiban_jayichiban_jay Posts: 660member
    I don't have a virus program on my mac mainly because Virex (virus scanner provided by my university) makes my laptop get HOT running as a background process.

The program is also one of the worst virus scanning programs I have ever seen.