Londoners: Anyone up for a pint?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'll be in London in late June/early July. Anyone up for a pint?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

eww... warm beer
  • Reply 2 of 19
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

eww... warm beer

What is this, stereotype season?

'Warm' beer, which you can't find but in old-folks pubs, isn't warm. It's 'not cold,' traditional ale. And it can be lovely.

And yep, I'm in London and up for a brew!
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

What is this, stereotype season?

'Warm' beer, which you can't find but in old-folks pubs, isn't warm. It's 'not cold,' traditional ale. And it can be lovely.

And yep, I'm in London and up for a brew!

i've got a hankering for a nice refreshing chilled Stella Artois - Belgian IIRC

no sign of such a brew where i am living now though \
  • Reply 4 of 19
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Yep. Why not? Where in London are you staying?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    mmm Scrumpy. I'm more of a not cold Guinness man, myself. My wife discovered Stella on our last trip to London.

We've rented a flat in South Kensington, but will be spending most of our time at the British Library.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    London, Ontario, Canada?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Actually, London, Arkansas. It's not too far from Toad Suck.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Aside: which do you prefer, a shirt that says "You'd all be speaking English if it weren't for the good ol' U S of A" in English or German? I'll be there over July 4, which means, of course, I'll have to hang an American flag outside my door and randomly put "I *heart* Bush" stickers on cars in the neighborhood.

Not to mention referring to everyone I see as either a "Limey" or a "Foreigner."

Man. It amazes me how many foreigners there are in Europe!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    ROFLMAO
  • Reply 10 of 19
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Aside: which do you prefer, a shirt that says "You'd all be speaking English if it weren't for the good ol' U S of A" in English or German?

I would suggest light summer tweeds and comfortable shoes!

Quote:

I'll be there over July 4, which means, of course, I'll have to hang an American flag outside my door and randomly put "I *heart* Bush" stickers on cars in the neighborhood.

Er.....No!

Quote:

Not to mention referring to everyone I see as either a "Limey" or a "Foreigner."

A simple "Sir" will do.

• Reply 11 of 19
    hmmm... when visiting england what is the protocol / ritual if one wants to start a fight with soccer hooligans ?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hmmm... when visiting england what is the protocol / ritual if one wants to start a fight with soccer hooligans ?

Shouting the colour of their shirts followed by the word "suck" should do the trick.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    But you don't want to start a fight with them soccer hooligans.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    I am always up for a pint, warm or otherwise. Hopefully we can get something organised nearer the time but you'll have to be quick, we've lost so many pubs in London recently. Mind you there are still some great ones left.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

.....we've lost so many pubs in London recently....

what happened to em'
  • Reply 16 of 19
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    They're getting turned into flats or houses.Where I used to work in Chelsea we lost three pubs in two years. Awful. Buying your beer from the local shop is cheaper for the consumer and the owner of the pub has to pay rent, wages etc. It's a damn shame, we need more dedicated and wealthy alcoholics.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

They're getting turned into flats or houses.Where I used to work in Chelsea we lost three pubs in two years. Awful. Buying your beer from the local shop is cheaper for the consumer and the owner of the pub has to pay rent, wages etc. It's a damn shame, we need more dedicated and wealthy alcoholics.

Took a trip to Sloane Sq for dinner the other night, and it seems that Chelsea is slowly being turned into a giant Starbucks. It's a shame. 10 years ago King's road was nothing but antique stores and little restaurants.