Safari + Tomshardware website = resource hog?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have recently isolated that by having the www.tomshardware.com website open in my Safari browser, this was contributed quite largely to Safari taking about 15% hit on my total CPU resources (this draw is pretty consistent whether the tab for Tom is even exposed or not, and even with the Safari app entirely hidden offscreen). By opening further windows/tabs at the same site (or links within the site), additional +15% hits follow pretty closely (so it isn't hard to completely swamp out with just a few windows open like this). If I close out all Tom sites, Safari drops to a comfy 5% (with regular fluctuations to 0%, which was completely unheard of before). That 5% is currently with 12 other tabs (various other websites) open over 2 browser windows. So clearly there is something funky with the Tom website that causes Safari to turn into a real pig.

Anybody else ever notice this with other sites they have visited in Safari? Something where most websites taking only fractions of a %, but one particular website seemingly carves out 50x that amount? It's just an interesting element I just noticed and wanted to share. Naturally this could vary quite a bit depending on the particular Mac you happen to work on, or maybe you happen to frequent a website that really hammers you with animated gif's.

I've resided to disabling plug-ins and disabling pictures (to block out resource hogging gif's) by default in my Safari settings. Then I click them on, as needed, if I am visiting a website where I need to see that stuff. That seems to keep the Safari resource appetite in check, except for this Tom website that will suck a windstorm of resources regardless of the settings. I am somewhat relieved to have discovered that now I can really make Safari run slim, if I only load up the Tom website only when I need it. This will make a BIG difference for my laptop in untethered mode. It was either shutdown Safari everytime I go out or bear a 50% drop in battery time, before. Now I won't have to shutdown Safari while in mobile mode, and I don't have to worry about a serious penalty in battery time.

As a sidenote, IE seems to have a similar response when loading up the Tom site, but not quite as extreme.

Anybody else care to share their Safari bloat experiences?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

I have recently isolated that by having the www.tomshardware.com website open in my Safari browser, this was contributed quite largely to Safari taking about 15% hit on my total CPU resources (this draw is pretty consistent whether the tab for Tom is even exposed or not, and even with the Safari app entirely hidden offscreen). By opening further windows/tabs at the same site (or links within the site), additional +15% hits follow pretty closely (so it isn't hard to completely swamp out with just a few windows open like this). If I close out all Tom sites, Safari drops to a comfy 5% (with regular fluctuations to 0%, which was completely unheard of before). That 5% is currently with 12 other tabs (various other websites) open over 2 browser windows. So clearly there is something funky with the Tom website that causes Safari to turn into a real pig.

Anybody else ever notice this with other sites they have visited in Safari? Something where most websites taking only fractions of a %, but one particular website seemingly carves out 50x that amount? It's just an interesting element I just noticed and wanted to share. Naturally this could vary quite a bit depending on the particular Mac you happen to work on, or maybe you happen to frequent a website that really hammers you with animated gif's.

I've resided to disabling plug-ins and disabling pictures (to block out resource hogging gif's) by default in my Safari settings. Then I click them on, as needed, if I am visiting a website where I need to see that stuff. That seems to keep the Safari resource appetite in check, except for this Tom website that will suck a windstorm of resources regardless of the settings. I am somewhat relieved to have discovered that now I can really make Safari run slim, if I only load up the Tom website only when I need it. This will make a BIG difference for my laptop in untethered mode. It was either shutdown Safari everytime I go out or bear a 50% drop in battery time, before. Now I won't have to shutdown Safari while in mobile mode, and I don't have to worry about a serious penalty in battery time.

As a sidenote, IE seems to have a similar response when loading up the Tom site, but not quite as extreme.

Anybody else care to share their Safari bloat experiences?

It's all the Flash and animated GIF banner ads. Sites that use a lot of them will start to hog resources... even in Firefox. It could also be some javascript stuff that associated with the banner adds. Maybe someone made a really crappy JS for reloading the images that uses up tons of resources...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    No doubt! That is why I run Safari with plug-ins disabled (to cut the Flash crap) and show pictures disabled (usually). However, that is what threw me off with this Tom site. It would load-up Safari, even w/o plug-ins and/or animated gif's. I'm guessing the animated ads that plaster that site, that are neither gif or shockwave/flash, must be doing it. However, that wouldn't explain why the load is there even with show pictures disabled (and the webpage only shows empty boxes where the ads would be). So an explainable cause is really most boggling to me, with that site. Javascript can't be doing anything until you click something, right? What's left? Does it make sense that some certain kind of html code could be active here? Naturally, html should just be simple formatting and the work is pretty much done once the page has been rendered, right? I'm just very curious what sort of element could be involved in this case...

I guess the "reloading images JS" idea is an interesting possibility...kinda ironic if the pix are disabled, but the mere act of reloading blank place holders becomes a great processing ordeal for Safari, eh?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

No doubt! That is why I run Safari with plug-ins disabled (to cut the Flash crap) and show pictures disabled (usually). However, that is what threw me off with this Tom site. It would load-up Safari, even w/o plug-ins and/or animated gif's. I'm guessing the animated ads that plaster that site, that are neither gif or shockwave/flash, must be doing it. However, that wouldn't explain why the load is there even with show pictures disabled (and the webpage only shows empty boxes where the ads would be). So an explainable cause is really most boggling to me, with that site. Javascript can't be doing anything until you click something, right? What's left? Does it make sense that some certain kind of html code could be active here? Naturally, html should just be simple formatting and the work is pretty much done once the page has been rendered, right? I'm just very curious what sort of element could be involved in this case...

At that point the only thing that is left is Javascript that could be the problem. File a bug report with Apple on it maybe. It could be a bug with something the JS is doing on their site in Safari.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

At that point the only thing that is left is Javascript that could be the problem. File a bug report with Apple on it maybe. It could be a bug with something the JS is doing on their site in Safari.

Good call, I'll do that now.