Will Longhorn blow away OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been looking into some of Longhorns capabilties and ive been impressed by the great GUI and some of the features microsoft has been talking about. My question is will it blow away OS X?

Some of the features like the new system of storing data, no longer using the regular file system sounds interesting, and it seems to me that something this revolutionary can only be built from the ground up. so how is apple going to compete with that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    *yawn*
  • Reply 2 of 35
    tryggvitryggvi Posts: 11member
    Uhh... What Longhorn?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, considering that Tiger already has much of what is supposedly new and innovative about Longhorn to OS X as of a couple months ago, including new storage and search abilities (Spotlight), new GUI technology (Quartz 2D Extreme), and improved programming tools (CoreData, Xtools 2), I'd say that by the time Longhorn actually makes it to market with whatever is left of its original feature set (a lot of stuff has been dropped, pull out, or postponed), Apple should be close to turning out the next version of OS X that takes another step past what Longhorn promises.

I've sort of lost track of things, but IIRC, WinFS has been pulled out of Longhorn, as has the new GUI tech, Avalon. A lot of stuff in Longhorn is still in flux. These technologies not abandoned; my understanding is that they're now being developed independently, the good news being that they'll probably be made available to XP as well as Longhorn, the bad news being that there is no timetable for when they'll ever see the light of day.

I don't have great technical knowledge, but it seems to me that Spotlight's technology does, if not everything WinFS promises, comes close to doing everything it promises, with a lot of headroom for improvements. Likewise, with the introduction of Quartz 2D Extreme and rudimentary resolution independence, Tiger's GUI tech does just about everything Avalon promises, albeit with less flash and sizzle in praxis. As far as I can tell, Apple is competing with Microsoft just fine on that front.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blascock

I've been looking into some of Longhorns capabilties and ive been impressed by the great GUI and some of the features microsoft has been talking about. My question is will it blow away OS X?

Some of the features like the new system of storing data, no longer using the regular file system sounds interesting, and it seems to me that something this revolutionary can only be built from the ground up. so how is apple going to compete with that?

ahh so you are talking about the feature that microsoft has announced will NOT be coming with longhorn(winFS). many of the 'great' features they touted are being removed, most of these features were supposed to be in XP, w2k, NT5(which was so late it became w2k)...
  • Reply 5 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

No offense but come back when you know a little more about Longhorn. The tell tale sign that you don't is the dearth of comments on Longhorn features. I could be wrong though. Tell me what is in Longhorn that will fuel my productivity beside a generous helping of DRM.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

It sure will if you run Wintel...
  • Reply 7 of 35
    I'm sure Longhorn will be a nice operating system with some nice features (it better be, with all the time Microsoft has spend on it and the countless delays... ). However, Apple is way ahead: Even if Lonhorn manages to "catch up" to mac OS X 10.4, by the time Longhorn is out Mac OS X 10.5 will probably be out (or very close to being released) as well!
  • Reply 8 of 35
    I like Avalon 3D

I haven't fully groked the significance of Indigo. Longhorn is rather crippled because it doesn't have WinFS and that to me was really the important tool. I'm sure it'll be a capable OS but it won't ship for months and Apple is already on the way to 10.5 so "blow away" is a little foolhardy. It'll beat Tiger in some areas and fall short in others.

Let's just hope that the installer is better than the total trash that is Windows install today. I just got a borked XPP disc that won't install on a Toshiba Sat Pro 4600 and it pisses me off.

XP is prettier..but it's still windows.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Blascock,

Maybe you should go to a Windows forum and post

"Will Mac OS X 10.5 blow away Longhorn?"

Since neither will be out for at least 18 months it will make just about as much sense. Except that in most respects, Tiger probably does most of the work already.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Great GUI? What are you smoking? I want some.

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/r..._review_25.jpg

What's with the menubar below the address bar? Menubars inside Windows themselves are a terrible idea, but now they can be anywhere inside the Window too?

Is that sidebar still there?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Looking at www.winsupersite.com it doesn´t look good for Longhorn. Look here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_5048.asp

Quote:

It gets worse. Apple's Mac OS X, recently upgrade to version 10.4 ("Tiger," see my review) is more than "good enough." In many ways, OS X is simply better than Windows, especially for experienced computer users, and Tiger rubs Microsoft's nose in the embarrassment of shipping a key Longhorn feature--instant desktop search--a full year ahead of the software giant. That's right folks. We already knew that Microsoft was facing smaller, nimbler competitors. But those competitors are now starting to outperform Microsoft in the feature department too. It's time for Redmond to stop pretending Linux and OS X don't exist.

Remember he is in the top three list of windows apologists.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Looking at www.winsupersite.com it doesn´t look good for Longhorn. Look here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_5048.asp

Remember he is in the top three list of windows apologists.

Ouch. That's gotta smart!
  • Reply 13 of 35
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Don't fool yourself too badly, folks. MS gets creative when it feels threatened (not to mention when it has an outstanding competiting product to, ah, "draw inspiration" from).

Longhorn has had a long and painful road, but excepting some truly bizarro company-wide meltdown -- which won't happen, MS isn't going to screw this one up -- it'll pull together over the next two years, and it'll prove a big challenge to OS X. They'll finally have an OS with the same graphical sophistication we've enjoyed for a long time, and will market the hell out of it with a budget Apple can only dream about.

I wouldn't rule out some innovation as well -- MS is quite capable of good design and innovation... they just need to feel the pressure.

That said, it's almost certain that Apple is working right now on 10.5, and pushing the state of the art in OS design in some surprising new directions.

It'll be a good fight.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    What does Bill Gates think? (6.2 MB mov)

--B
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Even if Longhorn was a basic spruced up XP it would sell and do just fine. Contrary to what many believe I don't think there is a significant amount of people that will truly switch to Macs. I'm talking in the millions here.

I think Apple appeals to a certain type of person and PCs appeal to another. Sometimes they mix but overall I don't expect things to change much when 10.5 and Longhorn roam the Earth.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    First of all, with Apple's 18 month Mac OS X release cycle, 10.5 is due out at the end of 2006, coincedentaly when longhorn is due out. Currently Mac OS X 10.4 is way ahead of the windows world from features to security. By the time longhorn shows its face, 10.5 will either be out or on its way. Looking at this realisticly, it would be like runner a starting a marathon two hours before runner b. So Yes, Runner B could catch up or beat runner A, but if it is more likely that runner A will still remain better. Pardon my lame running analogy. Also, until microsoft adressed the virus/spyware/adware/etc. problem with windows, people will leave windows and go to mac. I for one hate paying $50 a year to renew my antivirus software for my pc.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

]I've been looking into some of Longhorns capabilties and ive been impressed by the great GUI and some of the features microsoft has been talking about. My question is will it blow away OS X?

They have to release it first. But even then, I do not think so. They have stripped out half of what they originally promised and they still haven't released it yet.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Even if Longhorn was a basic spruced up XP it would sell and do just fine. Contrary to what many believe I don't think there is a significant amount of people that will truly switch to Macs. I'm talking in the millions here.

I think Apple appeals to a certain type of person and PCs appeal to another. Sometimes they mix but overall I don't expect things to change much when 10.5 and Longhorn roam the Earth.

Well, the strange thing is, with Avalon and Indigo being backported to XP, Longhorn *is* at the moment kind of looking like just a spruced-up XP!

However, I suspect MS has a couple of extra things cooking for Longhorn, even aside from just the Spotlight-like search feature. Or who knows, maybe just eye candy, a sleeker UI, smart search, and an explosion of advertising will be enough.

Anyway, I agree with the general unlikiness any of kind of serious switching going on... based solely on OS X at least. (Most people don't know or care about their OS.) But it is an important part of Apple's arsenal, and keeping a step ahead of MS is important.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Don't fool yourself too badly, folks. MS gets creative when it feels threatened (not to mention when it has an outstanding competiting product to, ah, "draw inspiration" from).

Longhorn has had a long and painful road, but excepting some truly bizarro company-wide meltdown -- which won't happen, MS isn't going to screw this one up -- it'll pull together over the next two years, and it'll prove a big challenge to OS X. They'll finally have an OS with the same graphical sophistication we've enjoyed for a long time, and will market the hell out of it with a budget Apple can only dream about.

I wouldn't rule out some innovation as well -- MS is quite capable of good design and innovation... they just need to feel the pressure.

That said, it's almost certain that Apple is working right now on 10.5, and pushing the state of the art in OS design in some surprising new directions.

It'll be a good fight.

Well let's also not forget what MS is facing just to stay in this race.

Security, that will be a feature that MS will need work long and hard just to save face, and if not very well done the saved face will last for just a short while.

Hardware, everyone is going to dual processors, I wonder how long it will take MS to have the OS truely utilize this feature. I know they have the technology but that is for a very narrow hardware set, the problem is implementing this for the general market that has maybe hundreds of different MB configurations.

The technologies that make computing better hardware wise is continueing to evolve quicker. Currently there are more different hardware standards than ever, making it even more difficult to write software that will use the hardware and will not break security features.

I'm sure that there are other things that I have not thought about but for Apple these issues are almost non-exsistent. For MS these things are things that can make adding features take forever.

The other side of the monopoly sword is cutting MS now.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    ghiangeloghiangelo Posts: 95member
    WinFS is designed as a network search tool, not just a local desktop search app. i'm sure Apple is prepping future versions to have similar capability as WinFS.