Archery (feel free to post pictures)

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Howdy, I'm an archer, i do it for a hobby, dunno if i would hunt. but its a neat hobby, as well as exspensive one to have, however, i enjoy it and its worth it. and i own 2 bows, one is a compound, and the other is a recurve, so i can get a dose of modern as well as traditional feels i have pics, and so if any of you also like to post pics of your bows, feel free...

My Bows

sorry that the pictures arent right here in the thread, forgot how to do that \ , so i went to the next best thing

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    That's a sweet bow. How much did that cost you?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Ah, a fellow archer .

I own a OK Match. OK is a small german high quality bow maker company.

Until last week, my bow looked like this:

I just bought an original OK stabilizer (as this one).
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

You might want to edit your link, http://%20http://homepage.mac.com/ra...otoAlbum4.html will not take you there.

That's a sweet bow. How much did that cost you?

your right... it didnt take me there...

the recurve was 180, and the compound was 250
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

Ah, a fellow archer .

I own a OK Match. OK is a small german high quality bow maker company.

Until last week, my bow looked like this:

I just bought an original OK stabilizer (as this one).

thats a nice bow
  • Reply 5 of 22
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I did archery a little in high school, and a little bit before that. It's a neat hobby. I definitely really enjoyed it. Never really felt too compelled to get my own nice bow or anything though.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    nice, yea, my compound im thinking maybe a lil exspensive for me to play w/... b/c its 100$ to change the bow string(s) as they have have a few that do certain things and such
  • Reply 7 of 22
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
  • Reply 8 of 22
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how about this, my recurve bow was made by howard hill, he was my neighbor in calif. when i was a boy he would split arrows at 60 yards. i saw the steel arrow that was used to kill a charging bull elephant (i believe he was the first to down a bull elephant with bow) i also saw the first arrow shot, which bounced off and stepped on, he reloaded and downed him at 25 yards as his SECOND shot. he had guts
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

thats sweet
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

how about this, my recurve bow was made by howard hill, he was my neighbor in calif. when i was a boy he would split arrows at 60 yards. i saw the steel arrow that was used to kill a charging bull elephant (i believe he was the first to down a bull elephant with bow) i also saw the first arrow shot, which bounced off and stepped on, he reloaded and downed him at 25 yards as his SECOND shot. he had guts

he must be good i was good... now im regaining my skill as an archer from over the winter hybernation session of my stillness
  • Reply 11 of 22
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

And his name was Legolas by any chance?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    maninmacmaninmac Posts: 64member
    No offense klinux, but I think that you are supposed to shoot it the other way...no?

• Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

No offense klinux, but I think that you are supposed to shoot it the other way...no?

perhaps, but i think thats sick(in the good way fashion).... i wanna learn how to do that -lights a cigar and watches-
  • Reply 14 of 22
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

perhaps, but i think thats sick(in the good way fashion).... i wanna learn how to do that -lights a cigar and watches-

I'd be afraid that the arrow would hit my arm that was holding the bow... Especially if the bow isn't held firmly in place when you let go of the bow string. I can't see that as being a very accurate way to fire the bow. Maybe I'm wrong. :-\\
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

I'd be afraid that the arrow would hit my arm that was holding the bow... Especially if the bow isn't held firmly in place when you let go of the bow string. I can't see that as being a very accurate way to fire the bow. Maybe I'm wrong. :-\\

if you do it long enough all you usually need to worry about is missing the target and loosing the arrow:-\\ thats what i would be afraid of.... especially w/ exspensive arrows
  • Reply 16 of 22
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

if you do it long enough all you usually need to worry about is missing the target and loosing the arrow:-\\ thats what i would be afraid of.... especially w/ exspensive arrows

As someone who knows NOTHING about the sport what sort of costs are involved in buying all the kit etc ?

just interested

j.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    It always depends on the quality of the stuff.

I bought my bow used (actually the pic above was made by the seller) complete with a case for about ?500.

You can get a bow for under $100, but you can also easily spend more than $1500 just for the bow. For arrows, you can go from under $4 to over $40 per arrow. Usually, you'll buy 12 arrows as a bundle. They are customized for each archer (everybody has a different draw weight / draw length ands needs therefore arrows of different stiffness and length, no matter what quality).

Last week, I bought 12 Easton A/C Navigator and paid about ?250 ...

When you start archery, you should never buy a bow immediately! Archery shops typically offer a rental program, because of the typicall learning curve:

While learning archery, you'll use some muscles which are otherwise seldomly used. So you start with a low draw weight (i.e. below 30 lbs). After some training, you'll switch to a stronger bo (and so on). Therefore it is not cost effictive to buy each time a new bow (or at least new bow limbs).

Eventually, you'll reach a drawing weight you feel comfortable with. (I.e. you can reach the longer distance targets and you are still able to shoot a full tournament without collapsing). Ragingloogie wrote on his homepage that his Recurve has a draw weight of 45 lbs. That's too much for me. I shoot with 34 lbs.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    yea... ive bought my bows cheap, my compound was 250$, i used to spend 3$ per arrow, now im spending 5$ per arrow... and my recurve bow was 180$ and the arrows im getting for it are also about 5$ per arrow... then you invest into a block(if you wish) i did b/c the range i went to would destroy the fletches on my arrows... so i have that... then you have stuff like a string that i have for when i go to string my recurve... that was 13$ and a new rest i bought for my compound was 25$... so it can get exspensive.... when i need to change the string on my compound, itll run me about 100$ just for the string.... not looking forward to that day
  • Reply 19 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Here's a picture of me arching with my favorite bit of kit.

• Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Here's a picture of me arching with my favorite bit of kit.

not a bad photoshop job... the edges of the body have some rough spots... but not many... not bad though....